• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Paizo drops use of the word phylactery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some other definitions of phylactery

"(in the early Christian church) a receptacle containing a holy relic.
an amulet, charm, or safeguard against harm or danger."

And if you go back to the Greek origin, phylaktḗrion, from which phylactery is ultimately derived, it not only includes amulets tefellin and safeguard, but a guarded place.

Yeah, but the thing here is "in the early Christian church". The thing is that language has evolved past that in the same way using synagogue would refer to a Jewish temple and generally not a "congregation".

Did Pathfinder change the phylactery? I never paid it attention when looking at PF 1e. From AD&D to 3e, the phylactery was where the lich stored its own soul for protection. If that is no longer what it does in Pathfinder, then, yes, I see why phylactery would not be appropriate.

I'm not sure why the definition of a soul storage unit is really appropriate, given the actual usage of the word.

Greg K

Legend
I'm not sure why the definition of a soul storage unit is really appropriate, given the actual usage of the word.
I don't see the point in restricting phylactery to the Jewish term just it has become the common current usage is affiliated with a religion (even if it is my own). The lich's phylactery is an item to store its soul for protection- to safeguard it, because destroying the phylactery was the only way to permanently destroy the lich. So, phylactery is an appropriate term (unless PF changed how the phylactery functioned).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Did Pathfinder change the phylactery? I never paid it attention when looking at PF 1e. From AD&D to 3e, the phylactery was where the lich stored its own soul for protection. If that is no longer what it does in Pathfinder, then, yes, I see why phylactery would not be appropriate.
I don’t think they did. It was 3rd edition that first described a lich’s phylactery like tefillin as far as I can tell. Otherwise, all it shared was the name phylactery.

I don't see the point in restricting phylactery to the Jewish term just it has become the common current usage is affiliated with a religion (even if it is my own).

Because trying to rely on the esoteric usage is, again, like using synagogue for a gathering: confusing and creates the wrong impression.

The lich's phylactery is an item to store its soul for protection- to safeguard it, because destroying the phylactery was the only way to permanently destroy the lich. So, phylactery is an appropriate term (unless PF changed how the phylactery functioned).

I don't see how it's appropriate unless you use the definition that is just not used by anyone outside of people who like to make this argument. Again, I don't even find it to be the closest usage of an actual religious item: a tabernacle is way closer in actual function and importance.

Greg K

Legend
Your point?

Jews might call a synagogue beit knesset (house of worship). Of course, synagogue is a Greek word.
Jews call the Holocaust Shoah (catastrophe). Of course, holocaust is a Greek word.

I look forward to your untangling of Hellenic and Hebraic cultures. Please continue.
Yes we refer to it as both Holocaust and Shoah. However, I, personally, get annoyed when some Jewish groups get defensive and try to claim ownership of the term Holocaust when other groups try to also use the term for genocides directed toward their own group.

Greg K

Legend
I don’t think they did. It was 3rd edition that first described a lich’s phylactery like tefillin as far as I can tell. Otherwise, all it shared was the name phylactery.
I recall even 1e describing it as an object that stores incantions and inscriptons and safeguards the lich's soul.

Yes we refer to it as both Holocaust and Shoah. However, I, personally, get annoyed when some Jewish groups get defensive and try to claim ownership of the term Holocaust when other groups try to also use the term for genocides directed toward their own group.

... I dunno, maybe the usage of "holocaust" has largely evolved from being a generalized term into a much more specific one (in this case, referring to a specific event)?

Greg K

Legend
... I dunno, maybe the usage of "holocaust" has largely evolved from being a generalized term into a much more specific one (in this case, referring to a specific event)?
If it is referred to the Jewish Holocaust, yes. That is a specific event. Claiming the term holocaust denies other groups from describing similar horrors of their own.

If it is referred to the Jewish Holocaust, yes. That is a specific event. Claiming the term holocaust denies other groups from describing similar horrors of their own.

It's become synonymous, in the same way I wouldn't use Holodomor to describe a genocide even if it happened to be similar. Language evolves, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads