Pathfinder 2E Paizo drops use of the word phylactery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tradition is as good a reason to keep it as "we don't want to offend a people that aren't offended" is for changing it.

I mean, it's not. In fact, it's really the reverse; tradition is inevitably a bad reason to not change things because it only refers to habit.

But more than that, Paizo didn't talk about "offending people": they felt the word didn't actually reflect or properly reference the item, thus they went with a name that conceptually matched what was being talked about. The whole "offending people" thing is a strawman.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Tradition is as good a reason to keep it as "we don't want to offend a people that aren't offended" is for changing it.
No, it really, really isn't. Like, this argument is so ridiculous that there's nothing I can compare it too. Trying to avoid offense or remove appropriated words from a hobby is not at all on the same level as keeping around a sacred cow just because it's a sacred cow.

Useless sacred cows have next to no chance of improving the world, while removing problematic terms does.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean, it's not. In fact, it's really the reverse; tradition is inevitably a bad reason to not change things because it only refers to habit.
Tradition is neither a good reason to keep/change something, nor a bad reason to keep/change something. Tradition just is.
But more than that, Paizo didn't talk about "offending people": they felt the word didn't actually reflect or properly reference the item, thus they went with a name that conceptually matched what was being talked about. The whole "offending people" thing is a strawman.
Except that it does match and reflect it, so their stated reason is highly suspect.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, it really, really isn't. Like, this argument is so ridiculous that there's nothing I can compare it too. Trying to avoid offense or remove appropriated words from a hobby is not at all on the same level as keeping around a sacred cow just because it's a sacred cow.

Useless sacred cows have next to no chance of improving the world, while removing problematic terms does.
As has been shown repeatedly in this thread, the word is neither appropriated, nor offensive to the people who it hasn't been appropriated from.

Tradition is neither a good reason to keep/change something, nor a bad reason to keep/change something. Tradition just is.

No, when you use tradition as a reason, it no longer just "is". It becomes... a reason. Because you're using it as a reason.

Except that it does match and reflect it, so their stated reason is highly suspect.

Their reasoning is sound, so I don't see the reason to doubt them. I don't see the point in being paranoid about this.

As has been shown repeatedly in this thread, the word is neither appropriated, nor offensive to the people who it hasn't been appropriated from.

I mean, it's totally appropriated. That's not even arguable, given that it's regular usage doesn't involve undead superwizards. I'm not sure how to take this other than an extremely bad-faith argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads