• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Scylla

First Post
Vigilance said:
I agree with everything you say.

My only point is, would it be reasonable to think you might be able to do better, for less cost, in a digital format?

My answer is yes.

Also, using Pyramid as a model, a gaming magazine that was physical, and went digital, that I personally have subscribed to, a magazine can offer a lot of interesting content online.

Also, Pyramid would occasional publish "best of" anthologies of the most popular articles from the web-zine.

I just see a lot of potential upside to this move.

And yes, it sucks that the magazines had to be morphed into something else after long and illustrious runs.

But the decision still makes sense to me.

Chuck

I totally respect your viewpoint Vigilance.

The ruthless businessperson inside me understands some of the business reasons behind this (I've worked in the publishing business for 15+ years, and I'm aware of increasing paper costs, etc.) but, while I'm certainly no Luddite, an online magazine just can't replace something I can carry around, read in bed, take to the beach or read at work during lunch (where Internet use is carefully monitored), etc. But I accept that others may accept the change easier.

Ourph

First Post
Mistwell said:
New Coke was one of the best things Coke ever did in the history of their company though. They released it, and when people complained they released Classic Coke along with it, and discovered and amazing thing: even if nobody drank new coke, they were getting double the shelf space by doing it, squeezing their competition off the shelves in the process. Hence they dropped New Coke and released a half a dozen different varieties of coke. This was followed by the death of some of their competition, and Pepsi deciding to do the same thing or die.

Change was good, even for a good thing. It wasn't the change they expected, but it ended up being a huge benefit for Coke that they experimented the way they did.

WotC taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and producing them as print magazines in-house would have been the equivalent of "New Coke". Taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and turning them into online content is the equivalent of taking Coke and Diet Coke off the shelf and replacing both with Tab.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Edena_of_Neith said:
Ok, when they cancel D&D altogether and shelve it, but keep the licence so nobody else can use it, eveyone will be playing C&C and saying: the hobby is still as healthy as ever?
No, I'll be playing D&D, snarling at C&C players to keep them away from my table (;)), and looking to OGL publishers for support for my game.

I'll also be playing other fantastic, non-D&D games, both d20/OGL and otherwise - but hey, I do that now. World of Darkness, GURPS, et cetera . . .

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Edena_of_Neith said:
Try those people on that other thread titled: 3 reasons why I'm through with WOTC. Now, that's drama, Mistwell. :)

(Dear Gods, I've just been called OLD. (sighs))

My earliest Dungeon issue is #10, and my earliest Dragon is #60 (1982). I'm 37, which isn't young. You seem to have been reading Dragon since it wasn't even called Dragon, which makes you old :)

Mistwell

Shawn_Kehoe said:
CUSID, Canadian Parliamentary.

Shawn

Ah! Cool. I never debated Parli, but it always seemed interesting. I like the idea that the topic changes very frequently. I debated CEDA, which was a topic that lasted a full semester each time. Great for in-depth research and thoughtful positions, but not so great for variety of subjects or contemporaneous speaking.

Agamon

Adventurer
Ourph said:
WotC taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and producing them as print magazines in-house would have been the equivalent of "New Coke". Taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and turning them into online content is the equivalent of taking Coke and Diet Coke off the shelf and replacing both with Crab Juice.

Fixed that for ya.

Mistwell

Ourph said:
WotC taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and producing them as print magazines in-house would have been the equivalent of "New Coke". Taking Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo and turning them into online content is the equivalent of taking Coke and Diet Coke off the shelf and replacing both with Tab.

But you have no idea what the new cola will taste like. It's not tab. It's something never seen before. It could be way better than all Cokes that came before.

For example, what could happen is that the DI works, but they decide to do a print edition anyway in addition to the DI some day, and we have access to both. Or the DI on it's own could turn out to be amazing, and capable of doing things we have not even thought about that add a huge amount of value to the product. And Pathfinder could be a great series, and successful, thus adding that much more great stuff to the marketplace. I really think this could all end well for all parties involved, including us players and DMs. We shall see.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads