• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

pendril

Explorer
Sad News

This is the saddest gaming news since the demise of Avalon Hill and TSR. Another major stumble on the part of WOTC/Hasbro.

-Pendril

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Gentleman,

What Steven Jay Blum tried to Kill dragon?

Nye,

It would seem so to me and many others.

Ag,

With a shotgun blast no less.

Thurbane

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
How about editing the post then? It's offensive to those of us who know people who've suffered such a fate and I can't imagine what it reads like to anyone whose actually suffered it firsthand.
How about since he apologised and the rest of us moved on, we don't go into "revisionist historian" mode...

Thurbane

First Post
Shawn_Kehoe said:
Of all the RPG companies, Wizards actually relies the least on hobby stores. Since 3rd Edition, the major book chains have stocked the books quite extensively here in Canada. Heck, the book store market was a major motivator behind the end of box sets.

Shawn
Here in Australia, FLGS is really the ONLY place you can get RPG material..."mainstream" bookstores wouldn't touch it with the proverbial 10 foot pole...

Nightfall

Eric,

I think that's what Cat meant but even so, he's just irate like most of us.

Thurbane,

Revisionist history is the new Coke of the world. :p :) Btw I figured it was that way for other people outside the US. I mean it's not like you have that many bookstores...

Dark Psion

First Post
When I started gaming, there was no internet, no Amazon.com and no infinite number of gaming websites to visit. I had to go from one bookstore to another in Oklahoma City just hoping there might be a new book to buy. The one thing I could count on was Dragon Magazine. Every month there would be something new there. I don't know how many times I would come home from work tired and worn out, but then find a new issue of Dragon waiting for me and all the fatigue would fade away. And you could allways tell just how good an issue was by how long it sits on my desk. If it is still there when the next one comes, it was a very good one.

And although I do have a large collection of gaming books, and have to "make room" often, one shelf is never altered. my Dragon shelf. Issues #89-#355 and the CD-ROM collection (If I ever hear a tornado coming, that is one thing I will grab as I run for cover).

It feels as if something sacred to me has been defiled and desecrated.

As too what ever WotC comes up with, I won't be part of it from either side. I have had a part in the Mind's Eye from the begining and have written the last few articles, but they are the last for me. I doubt it will continue in the new "online service" anyway, as it is written by gamers for gamers and that doesn't seem part of the new WotC.

As to the new Pathfinders, I'll look at it, but Dungeon was allways the cherry to Dragon's Hot fudge sundae for me. I can do adventures, I liked Dragon because it made me see new ways of playing and writing those adventures that I had not considered.

This is going to hurt WotC in many ways. How many times will I be reading Dragon at work or elsewhere and have people ask "What's That?" How many of us had had times where we almost quit gaming, but were kept in it by that monthly subscription that kept coming? And I can't think of anything that could have pissed off the hard core "epic" gamers more than by killing Dragon & Dungeon.

Even a bad issue was still a not-so-hot fudge sundae to me.

Thurbane

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Comments like this really tick me off. Please try to be sensitive to those that may have ACTUALLY lost a child to a tragedy. Not having a print magazine is WORLDS different.
Isn't that ENTIRELY in the eye of the beholder?

Can the "good taste police" please stop stomping on the hyperbole of people who really are genuinely upset over the loss of the publications? Surely you are big enough to simply ignore comments that rankle and chalk it up to the fact that many of us are genuinely dismayed, and maybe gone a bit OTT with ananlogies?

Nightfall

Thurbane,

Hey I'm upset and I'm against drowning babies. :p

Dark Psion said:
It feels as if something sacred to me has been defiled and desecrated.

And then they got mean. :p ;)

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Holy crap. Can't believe I missed this one, for a while back there. . . Stay away for a bit, and the sky actually has fallen! :eek:

It doesn't bother me personally, per se, as I've bought precisely two issues of Dragon and zero Dungeons over the last few years. Still, ouch. I know a few people on- and offline who will be rather unhappy. So, on that level, I'm sorry to hear this. I wish Paizo all the best for their future endeavours.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads