• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Eric,

It's also possible I'll finally get deified and ascend into the Scarred Lands. Just not very likely in real life. :p :)

Danny,

I feel you man. And don't worry it might not change minds, but it's better to try than do nothing.

I speak from Slothful experience. :p ;)

Haus,

The reason is they have to do something to survive. Erik and the rest kind of depend on Paizo to pay the bills. This was the best way to do that since it's obvious they can't afford to do a print based monthy magazine. It's something they decided was the best way to survive.

Nightfall

Zapak Vim said:
exactly. online stuff is just not the same, even if its free. I will pay for a nice magazine that I get to read when ever and where ever I want, and get to keep in the bookshlef for years, but theres no way I would pay for an online magazine

Yep, paying for something online never struck me as a good idea. That's why I was against Napster selling out and the same with ordering stuff (especially food) online.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
CanadienneBacon said:
I respectfully disagree with this statement, particularly the bit about buying online.

Really? You think most D&D sales were through a physical book store, as opposed to online?

I'm just going off my own group of friends, and some off-hand data from buddies at Amazon and the game companies. Based on that, I gather that Amazon, B&N, online hobby shops like Paizo.com, and so on are where most D&D books are sold.

But if you've got data, I'd love to see it. I could be wrong, and most of WotC's D&D books could in fact be sold through brick stores.

-z

Nightfall

Z,

I think CB disagrees that this decision was a solid money idea in terms of generating customer good will, especially since buying a book is different from buying a magazine.

Even in public libraries (some times) you can find such publications. Magazines are meant to be browses. Books, you buy with the option that reading a summary gives you some idea of how it turns out. Thus it might be good, it might not.

Thurbane

First Post
Zapak Vim said:
exactly. online stuff is just not the same, even if its free. I will pay for a nice magazine that I get to read when ever and where ever I want, and get to keep in the bookshlef for years, but theres no way I would pay for an online magazine
Ditto.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Erik and the rest kind of depend on Paizo to pay the bills. This was the best way to do that since it's obvious they can't afford to do a print based monthy magazine.

I think the obvious penultimate step before cancelling a magazine that is suffering due to a small or nonexistent profit margin is raise the magazine's price. Do it in increments- you'd get information as to the slope of your product's demand curve, which then tells you whether you can raise the price high enough to make the magazine decently profitable. Tell your readers why the price is going up.

(Yes, I know that Dragon is kind of small-circulation...but I have news for you- there are monthly magazines I read that have cover prices as high as $10 or more.)

THEN if the sales go into a death-spiral, you kill the magazine, citing unprofitability.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Nightfall said:
Repentant Lurker,
Shawn,

That may be so, but even Gamers need places to congregate. And they do so...where? Yep in local gaming stores.

We simply disagree here - I don't think that the game store crowd is that critical to D&D's bottom line. Or more accurately, if the game stores disappeared, the audience would go elsewhere to get their products.

Smaller companies like Necromancer, Green Ronin and Goodman live and die by the games store, no question.

Shawn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads