Paizo Paizo Price Increases and Sustainability Efforts

Prices are going up in 2024 for Pathfinder and Starfinder products.

Paizo announced a new pricing structure for their entire product line. The changes will go into effect for PDF products (Bounties, Quests, and Scenarios) effective October 25, 2023, and will apply to all PDF products. No other PDF prices will be changed. The new MSRP changes go into effect in April 2024 for all print products.

PZO2113RageofElements_PZO7121PortsofCall_1920.png

The first printing of the new Pathfinder core rulebooks – Player Core, GM Core, Monster Core, and Player Core 2 – will maintain the current $59.99 MSRP for at least the first printing as “We feel these books are essential first purchases for Pathfinder players and want to hold the line on price increases as long as possible to reduce the barrier of entry for new players.”

The new pricing structure:
  • Bounties/Quests1 from $4.99 to $5.99
  • Scenarios2 from $5.99/$7.99 to $8.99
  • Special Interactive Scenarios from $14.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mats from $16.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mat Multi-Pack from $24.99 to $29.99
  • 96-page Adventure Paths from $26.99 to $29.99
  • Pocket Editions will range from $24.99-$29.99 to $26.99-$34.99 (varies by page count)
  • Hardcover Prices will vary by page count:
    • 128 Page: $44.99
    • 192 Page: $59.99
    • 256 Page: $69.99
    • 304 Page with map: $79.99
    • Special Edition covers add $20 to the retail price
1: Bounties and Quests are short, stand-alone digital adventures designed for 2-hour sessions

2: Scenarios are Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society adventures previously priced based on play tier with higher-level adventures costing more. The prices will now be the same regardless of the level of the adventure.

FSC.jpg

Paizo also updated its current environmental and sustainability actions. The company already printed using soy-based ink that requires less ink per page with no toxic chemicals. Paizo is changing to FSC-Certified paper coming from ecologically sourced forests that prohibit deforestation and require protection of old-growth forests and biodiversity as well as protections for the rights of Indigenous peoples. Changes have also been made to shipping from the Paizo warehouse by changing shipping product partners and moving from foam packing materials to starch and cardboard. Full details are available on the Paizo Blog.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Retreater

Legend
And if you have a PDF of an AP, this doesn't mean anything, but with Foundry integration, the Drow warrior points to the bestiary, which won't have that creature any more.
My assumption is that the Drow warrior will remain in the Foundry compendium, even if the reference is from the "Abomination Vaults AP."
The new "serpentfolk (?)" ancestry will probably be put in the Foundry compendium through the Bestiary Core. So I'm assuming there will be both?

That is a good question. I'm going to assume they are simply not going to have them in any adventures going forward, but when you have an electronic product, it's easy to make changes. I suspect there won't be changes applied to the APs, but that will be interesting since they will have elements in them that are no longer in the core rules. And if you have a PDF of an AP, this doesn't mean anything, but with Foundry integration, the Drow warrior points to the bestiary, which won't have that creature any more.
There’s been a few posts like this that lead me to believe drow will be available in previous material where they’ve been featured.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
My assumption is that the Drow warrior will remain in the Foundry compendium, even if the reference is from the "Abomination Vaults AP."
The new "serpentfolk (?)" ancestry will probably be put in the Foundry compendium through the Bestiary Core. So I'm assuming there will be both?
The way I've had it explained to me (ahem, was schooled on it...) is that there is a core bestiary that will be updated and Drow and other creatures removed. But there is also a compendium for the AP, which will not be updated. This should have been more obvious to me because all of the monsters in the AP have custom artwork while most of the bestiary ones do not. So not likely to be an issue.

On this note, Samsung Galaxy and Apple will have lots of bells and whistles included. They do tend to rasie the price 1.5 to 2X the cost. Though, we are not talking hundreds here either. Galaxy probably in the 130-180 range and Ipad 175-250 (unless you get refurbished). I'll admit I thought the fire would be a single use paperweight that couldn't hold up to additional use, but its been a huge value for 50 dollars.
The low-end Samsungs definitely are cheaper (but you get what you pay for; the one I had was a high end model). Where are you finding iPads that cheap? As for Fire...they are better than people realize, you just have to deal with the Amazon restrictions or jailbreak it.

The only issue with that for me ends up being support. My 6 year old iPad just received a security update a few weeks ago despite Apple not providing feature updates for it anymore. I think I got it on sale at Best Buy for $350, so not too shabby for 6 years of frequent use.
That was about what I paid for my iPad Air on sale a year or two ago. It's a decent tablet, I have to say. I am not sure what it is missing that the other much more expensive iPads have, though (other than only having 64GB storage).

Reynard

Legend
So I ended up buying a Fire 11 HD because it was a good sale. It is fast and bright and I like it. But what PDF reader should I use? I don't like the Kindle app because it doesn't appear to let me follow internal links, and there is no Adobe Reader or Xodo on the app store. Help?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
So I ended up buying a Fire 11 HD because it was a good sale. It is fast and bright and I like it. But what PDF reader should I use? I don't like the Kindle app because it doesn't appear to let me follow internal links, and there is no Adobe Reader or Xodo on the app store. Help?
Have you tried Foxit?

SteveC

I had to do this a few years ago on a Fire HD. You need to enable third party apps, and then install the Google Store. That will give you everything you need. I wish I could give good advice on the best PDF reader but my wife just uses Adobe and doesn't want anything more complex.

Reynard

Legend
I had to do this a few years ago on a Fire HD. You need to enable third party apps, and then install the Google Store. That will give you everything you need. I wish I could give good advice on the best PDF reader but my wife just uses Adobe and doesn't want anything more complex.
How do I enable third party apps?

SteveC

How do I enable third party apps?
I did a quick Google search on "how to install the Google Play store on a Fire tablet" to get recent directions, and this was one of the results. I can't verify it, since it's different than when I did so years ago. Honestly, I'd suggest doing the same search yourself. I looked at a couple of sites and they had similar procedures.

As an aside, it's also possible to "side load" apps, which is to say directly install them from an apk file, but I don't suggest that, since there's no way to easily update them if you do this. And Adobe has frequent security updates that you want to install.

Hopefully that will work out for you.

Remove ads

Remove ads