Paizo Paizo Price Increases and Sustainability Efforts

Prices are going up in 2024 for Pathfinder and Starfinder products.

Paizo announced a new pricing structure for their entire product line. The changes will go into effect for PDF products (Bounties, Quests, and Scenarios) effective October 25, 2023, and will apply to all PDF products. No other PDF prices will be changed. The new MSRP changes go into effect in April 2024 for all print products.

PZO2113RageofElements_PZO7121PortsofCall_1920.png

The first printing of the new Pathfinder core rulebooks – Player Core, GM Core, Monster Core, and Player Core 2 – will maintain the current $59.99 MSRP for at least the first printing as “We feel these books are essential first purchases for Pathfinder players and want to hold the line on price increases as long as possible to reduce the barrier of entry for new players.”

The new pricing structure:
  • Bounties/Quests1 from $4.99 to $5.99
  • Scenarios2 from $5.99/$7.99 to $8.99
  • Special Interactive Scenarios from $14.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mats from $16.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mat Multi-Pack from $24.99 to $29.99
  • 96-page Adventure Paths from $26.99 to $29.99
  • Pocket Editions will range from $24.99-$29.99 to $26.99-$34.99 (varies by page count)
  • Hardcover Prices will vary by page count:
    • 128 Page: $44.99
    • 192 Page: $59.99
    • 256 Page: $69.99
    • 304 Page with map: $79.99
    • Special Edition covers add $20 to the retail price
1: Bounties and Quests are short, stand-alone digital adventures designed for 2-hour sessions

2: Scenarios are Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society adventures previously priced based on play tier with higher-level adventures costing more. The prices will now be the same regardless of the level of the adventure.

FSC.jpg

Paizo also updated its current environmental and sustainability actions. The company already printed using soy-based ink that requires less ink per page with no toxic chemicals. Paizo is changing to FSC-Certified paper coming from ecologically sourced forests that prohibit deforestation and require protection of old-growth forests and biodiversity as well as protections for the rights of Indigenous peoples. Changes have also been made to shipping from the Paizo warehouse by changing shipping product partners and moving from foam packing materials to starch and cardboard. Full details are available on the Paizo Blog.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I understand the need to increase prices of physical books due to forces beyond publishers' control, it unfortunately ahs the effect of requiring consumers to be much more circumspect about their purchases. The reality is, I feel like my money is better spent finding a really good tablet I enjoy reading on and moving to an all PDF library, minus the occasional "too pretty to not own" special edition book.
I can't speak for Paizo, but for ENP we as a publisher don't mind which format somebody wishes to buy our stuff in. We provide a variety of formats in an attempt to make access to our material as easy as possible for as many people as possible. I'm delighted when somebody buys a PDF!

Of course, we wouldn't want to see the hobby go digital only. That would be a sad day. But digital content is vital to the future of the hobby--just ask all the VTT players!

Staffan

Legend
And lore books. Some of which are going up $30 each (a 60% increase).
The core rulebook is being split in half into Player Core 1 and GM Core - combined we'll be spending $120 for what used to be $60.
It's more of a mix-and-match. Player Core 1 + Player Core 2 + GM Core = Core Rulebook + Advanced Player's Guide + parts of the GMG.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The fact that all content for PF2E (and 1E, for that matter) is free on Home - Archives of Nethys: Pathfinder RPG Database trumps any price increase.

Except for adventures, of course. But the price increase on APs is only 3 USD, so that seams somewhat fair.
Im not complaining, its just sticker shock. I quit smoking 15 years ago, and every time I see somebody buy a pack I'm like "how much??"

Ramaster

Adventurer
(...)
The core rulebook is being split in half into Player Core 1 and GM Core - combined we'll be spending $120 for what used to be $60.
(...)
I don't get this part. We already had a Core book and a DMG Guide for regular old PF2E

Core - Core Rulebook (Second Edition) - PathfinderWiki
DMG - Gamemastery Guide (Second Edition) - PathfinderWiki

The additional book added to the classic lineup is the Core 2. And I, for one, would definetily say that PF1E really became it's own game with the relase of the Advanced Player's Guide, which introduced a bunch of super iconic things, like Wiches, Summoners, Alternate Racial Traits and, more importantly perhaps, Class Archetypes (among many, many other stuff).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yes. I use my desktop PC (and Fantasy Grounds) for VTT play.
ITs a good time of year to be looking for a reader with black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up. Last year I got a Fire tablet just to leave at my piano as I practice. I have taken to using it to read news at night as well. It was 50 bucks. Most tablets will do it these days. Though, if you are thinking you will be without internet/cloud and want more disc space that will likely factor.

The most disappointing part is it does show box set prices. I need a new Beginner Box. The 2e one wasn't as good as the 1e one, (It should have went to 5th level) but still both a good products. Crossing my fingers for a 2.5 box.

I don't get this part. We already had a Core book and a DMG Guide for regular old PF2E

Core - Core Rulebook (Second Edition) - PathfinderWiki
DMG - Gamemastery Guide (Second Edition) - PathfinderWiki

The additional book added to the classic lineup is the Core 2. And I, for one, would definetily say that PF1E really became it's own game with the relase of the Advanced Player's Guide, which introduced a bunch of super iconic things, like Wiches, Summoners, Alternate Racial Traits and, more importantly perhaps, Class Archetypes (among many, many other stuff).
It's not as straightforward as @Retreater is making it out to be.

Player Core, GM Core, Monster Core, and Player Core 2 (besides IMO being terrible names) are a reshuffling of material from the Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Advanced Player's Guide, and Bestiary 1. They're reorganizing the material to 1) remove any OGL content, 2) retune some of the classes to improve them (e.g. witch is getting a buff), and 3) moving material from different books together so it's all in 1 place for each class. For example, the existing fighter is in the Core Rulebook but also has feats in the Advanced Player's Guide. That will all be in the Player Core book now so a new player won't have to look through multiple books for all of their class options.

It isn't wrong to say the Player Core won't have all the material from the Core Rulebook though because the GM sections will be moved into the GM Core book to even out the page count. A 620ish page hardcover book for $60 barely made sense in 2019, it definitely doesn't in 2023. It's also EXTREMELY intimidating to new players to see a 620ish page book and think "I need to read all this to play?!".

Remove ads

Remove ads