Pathfinder 1E Paizo's Ultimate Equipment book...

Dark Mistress

First Post
As others have said it is a book of generic fantasy gear and magic items. They do that on purpose leaving Golarion campaign specific stuff out of their hardback books. I don't agree with their logic, I understand it but don't agree.
[MENTION=10177]Treebore[/MENTION] - As far of should you get it. For the mundane gear, I think Kenzers book of Luvens by 4 Wind Fantasy Games is better for mundane gear. But for a magic item book I thought it was one of the better ones and to date the best one for Pathfinder.

As for the layout, I am indifferent to the layout. It has good and bad parts to it. The big plus as mentioned is once you learn the colors it is easy to open the book to the right chapter from it being closed and likely be within a few pages of what your looking for. That is a huge plus.

As for the topic of no stat blocks and now possible no magic item stats in the adventures and AP's i am in favor of that. I don't have a laptop or ipad etc, but what I do is copy any relevant information into a doc and then print it. Like when i ran RotRL I made one doc for each book listing full stat blocks for each monster and any treasure they might use in the fight. Then I could make notes and mark off hp on the printed sheet. I find that handy and easier to do even when the stat blocks are in the books. I do the same thing with a full list of all the treasure and magic in a book. To make sure i don't miss anything.

Crothian

First Post
I like the book. I would like it better if it didn't include all the things from the main book that seems like a waste but over all I'm pleased with it.

Treebore

First Post
[MENTION=10177]Treebore[/MENTION] - Luvens by 4 Wind Fantasy Games is better for mundane gear.

Already own that too. I believe because of a review you did of it.

Well, since you have yet to lead me wrong, plus your saying just what I was hoping to hear about the magic, I think I can buy this with confidence.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Already own that too. I believe because of a review you did of it.

Well, since you have yet to lead me wrong, plus your saying just what I was hoping to hear about the magic, I think I can buy this with confidence.

To be fair there is not a lot of magic items books out there. I liked it though. I don't think it is a great book but I think it is a good book by paizo and very handy to have. I mostly use it to reference between games though.

Treebore

First Post
To be fair there is not a lot of magic items books out there. I liked it though. I don't think it is a great book but I think it is a good book by paizo and very handy to have. I mostly use it to reference between games though.

So far, the only such book that doesn't get used primarily by me is Aurora's Whole Realm Catalog, so I imagine this one will primarily be used by me as well. My players read through them, say something to the effect that there is a lot of cool stuff in there, then never do anything about it. Until I have the "bad guys" use it. Then they become interested in having it too.

Which is fine by me. It is much better than players trying to say they should have no problems carrying around 1,400 LBS of gear on their backs.

Matthias

Explorer
The book "...And a 10-Foot Pole" is a nice equipment resource as well, if you can find it. It uses its own metallic currency system (with bronze pieces, iron pieces, and so on) and its prices often deviate from D&D's, PF's, and d20 Modern suggested prices for the same items.

A GM running a PF campaign would probably find it quite useful for deciding hat what trade goods, livestock, exotic treasures, and so on that the PCs would discover at a marketplace or bazaar or merchant caravan.

Treebore

First Post
The book "...And a 10-Foot Pole" is a nice equipment resource as well, if you can find it. It uses its own metallic currency system (with bronze pieces, iron pieces, and so on) and its prices often deviate from D&D's, PF's, and d20 Modern suggested prices for the same items.

A GM running a PF campaign would probably find it quite useful for deciding hat what trade goods, livestock, exotic treasures, and so on that the PCs would discover at a marketplace or bazaar or merchant caravan.

That sounds familiar. I might have it as a PDF.

Dark Mistress

First Post

Could have been a great book, as it is it is good. It covers everything and then some when it comes to gear and breaks it up by time period. The one down side and it is kinda a big one. Is none of the gear is explained what it is, what it looked like. So you need to google any item you don't know what it is.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm very much enjoying having Ultimate Equipment handy as a reference; the core book items in it make things a lot easier. (I just wish it included statblocks for the animals, especially as some animals, like heavy horses, require advancing).

I'm now wishing I had a Core rulebook without the magic items, to save on weight.

Remove ads