Pathfinder 1E Paizo's Ultimate Equipment book...

KiloGex

First Post
I grabbed it and am a fan. While it's true that it has a lot of the same old stuff in it, there is also plenty of newer things. Plus, everything is very well organized and easy to find. Overall - thumbs up.

Wycen

Explorer
Our DM used it tonight after we defeated the gangbang of harpies. First he mentioned we found a magic weapon and then said his roll indicated a minor specific item. So flipping some pages he finally determined it was a rapier. Then he rolled 00 to determine what it was. Being grognardy enough I was excited thinking about all the cool results in the 1E treasure charts. However, he then said he was going to take that back. Apparently it turned out being a masterwork rapier. Hardly something 6th level characters would get excited about.

So with a reroll we found an arrow of slaying - earth outsiders.

Treebore

First Post
Our DM used it tonight after we defeated the gangbang of harpies. First he mentioned we found a magic weapon and then said his roll indicated a minor specific item. So flipping some pages he finally determined it was a rapier. Then he rolled 00 to determine what it was. Being grognardy enough I was excited thinking about all the cool results in the 1E treasure charts. However, he then said he was going to take that back. Apparently it turned out being a masterwork rapier. Hardly something 6th level characters would get excited about.

So with a reroll we found an arrow of slaying - earth outsiders.

Actually, in my games, they would get at least a little excited, since by 6th level my groups are lucky if half of them have magical weapons yet. Not only that, they are such cheap bastards they won't buy themselves MW weapons, armor, or gear. Despite having plenty of gold to buy at least a couple of MW weapons.

coyote6

Adventurer
Actually, in my games, they would get at least a little excited, since by 6th level my groups are lucky if half of them have magical weapons yet. Not only that, they are such cheap bastards they won't buy themselves MW weapons, armor, or gear. Despite having plenty of gold to buy at least a couple of MW weapons.

Saving their pennies to pay for their burials? ;)

The folks in my PF group are the opposite -- they'll spend every last coin on gear, then find out they need to get somewhere and don't have money to buy a mount/book passage on a ship, find out they'll be needing some item or substance and not have any cash to prepare, have money for bribes, etc.

As for Ultimate Equipment, I like the magic items, with a few exceptions that need some modifications (hello, bracers of the falcon). The reprinted mundane weapons & armor were disappointing, as some of them had issues that weren't fixed, IMHO. A lot of the items are just not as good as options that exist, so I'm not sure why anyone would choose to use them.

Last edited:

Matthias

Explorer
I'm now wishing I had a Core rulebook without the magic items, to save on weight.

Once I started investing in PDF copies of the core books and got used to not having physical pages to turn or stick a bookmark, I swiftly got hooked on using e-books for everything. Now instead of a crate of books to tote to games or to take up space on the game table, I have a smartphone with all my PDFs on it for GM use. Here are my recommendations:

1) Get the PDF version of everything you want to use as GM. I still have, and will keep, the "core" physical game books I still have but they are for the players to use. I've upgraded. :) The PDF version of any PF book is cheaper than the printed version (as far as I know) and as long as you retain your account on Paizo's website, you will always be able to re-download it in case your offline copy is destroyed or deleted

2) Get a good PDF reader. Either Adobe or Foxit will do. PDF readers for PCs and Macs are everywhere, but Adobe also has a Droid version of their reader that will run on Droid tablets and smartphones too. I just think it is so cool to look up any rule, monster, spell, etc. on my phone anywhere I fancy, without needing to go to my hardcover copies.

3) Learn how to use the bookmarks in the reader. Navigating the list of bookmarks on a given file is so much easier than navigating to the page number you *think* you might need (or going to the index or Table of Contents first, and then looking up the page you need). At worst, the bookmark will take you to the right page and then you have to play with the zoom setting if it is not to your liking. But much better than flipping pages or waiting for that player who hogs your books every session to bother giving it back.

4) Learn how to open multiple windows in the reader. (I know the PC versions of Adobe Reader and Foxit both do this...not sure about others.) You can keep the book "open" at multiple pages without having to flip back and forth...instead you switch between the different Adobe windows on your computer.

5) Your e-books will never get stains or stink of cigarettes. Always a plus for me...

Downside: can't hand them over to players to look stuff up without letting them also handle your smartphone/laptop/tablet/whatever. But then, they should be buying and using their own copies anyway.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
There have been some minor mistakes in the book as to be expected, but I just noticed a big one. On the random weapon table 7-13 pg307 it is missing number 66-84 which makes that table all but useless. :(

Crothian

First Post
Instead of just a link top a hard to use message board I'll copy it over for people

66 sai
67 sap
68-69 scythe
70-73 shortbow
74-75 shortspear
76-80 shortsword
81 shuriken
82 sickle
83–84 sling

Remove ads