• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin and Fighter Mark

Oompa

First Post
Don't have me books on me, so no quotes and stuff but here is my question..

Let's say Monster is marked by the fighter and adjacent to the fighter. Monster also has Rogue and Warlord adjacent.

Monster does a close burst action, and hits the fighter and warlord, misses the rogue..

If my memory recalls, Fighter gets an attack when monsters attack someone else other than the fighter.. how does this resolve in a close burst? What if my player say's i hit the fighter first and than the warlord, can fighter still attack monster?

Same situation for a Paladin, memory recalls that any attack not made against paladin deals damage, as a close burst has several attack rolls against multiple targets, does this mean multiple damage to monster?

Hope i made it clear enough.. :) Thanks in advance..

Turtlejay

First Post
The wording of the marks is something like "any attack that does not include the fighter/paladin", which means area attacks with the defender in them do not trigger the mark.

Jay

Shazman

Banned
Banned
As long as the attacking creature makes an attack that includes the fighter (or other defender), it doesn't suffer any consequences for being marked. If the creature attacks only the rogue or warlord, he provokes an opportunity attack from the fighter. If he does a burst attack that includes the fighter (even if it misses the fighter) the mark does nothing.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
What Shazman said.

The Paladin's mark is worded the same way, so a burst attack that targets the paladin does not cause the marked opponent to take damage.

A burst attack that does not target the paladin is still only one attack that didn't target the paladin, so the marked opponent only takes damage once.

FrozenChrono

First Post
All the above info is correct, however it's worth noting that the marked condition still gives a -2 to the Monsters attack rolls against the warlord and the rogue.

DracoSuave

First Post
All the above info is correct, however it's worth noting that the marked condition still gives a -2 to the Monsters attack rolls against the warlord and the rogue.

Except for the part that that attack does include the marking creature. The -2 to attack ONLY occurs when the attack does not include the marking creature.

1of3

Explorer
And one last thing: The paladin's damage can apply only once per round no matter what, even though it does not require an action on the paladin's part.

Remove ads