D&D 5E Paladins: what alignments do you think are most appropriate/common for each oath?

Mephista

Adventurer
So, a very quick idea toss out of a paladin of knowledge. Primarily based on what I remember of Dahl, ex-paladin of Oghma in the Forgotten Realm books. Feel free to critique and help finish.

Oath of Truth
Lord of All Knowledge, Binder of What is Known: Make my eye clear, my mind open, my heart true. Give me the wisdom to separate the lie from the truth. Give me the strength to accept what is so. My word is my steel, my reason my shield. And I shall fear no deception, for the truth remains. And Oghma has made me a lantern in the gloom, a compass in the wilds. It is my duty to find what is hidden, and my gift to know what is unknown. --Prayer to Oghma, Fire in the Blood, by Erin M. Evans

Tenants - (1) Preservation and Spreading of Knowledge - raw knowledge is innocent, even if others would put it to ill ends. Hiding away knowledge as secrets is not permitted. Teach others. (2) Dispelling lies and providing advice (insight and foresight) - deception of all kinds is a big no-no, including gross self-deception. (3) Promotion of Arts and Crafts - applied knowledge, really. This includes the study of magic. Sponsorship of bards, wizards, record keeping, and smiths encouraged. (4) Seeking out new things and information

Oath Spells (need to settle on two of these per level; I avoid any spells already on the paladin list you can choose to prepare)
3rd - Alarm, Comprehend Languages
5th - Augury, Darkvision, Detect Thoughts, Knock, See Invisible
9th - Clairvoyance, Tongues, Sending
13th - Arcane Eye, Fabricate, Divination
17th - Legend Lore, Scrying, Creation, Dream, Awaken, Commune

Channel Divinity
Banish Illusion - Make a spellcaster check, as if casting a Dispel Magic, using the same rules in the spell. Any illusions within sight are dispelled; a successful check also dispels anyone suffering from a Modify Memory or similar curse spell that involves deception. Any attempts at mundane deception or disguise (even if aided by a spell such as Alter Self) suffer disadvantage in the paladin's presence. This effect lasts for 1 minute.

Bless Craft - Select any one piece of crafted equipment. Weapon, armor, tool, etc. For one minute, anyone using that peice of equipment gains a +X bonus to that equipment for whatever it was intended use was. A sword would become a +X weapon, adding to accuracy and damage. A shield would add +X to AC and any shield bashing attempts. A blessed set of lock picks would get +X to any lock picking attempts made with them.

Aura of XXXXXX
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you can do XXXX. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

YYYYYYYYYYY
Beginning at 15th level, you gain some effect that I have no idea what it should be.

Capstone
At level 20, as an action, you may gain the effects of Foresight for an hour. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Shiroiken

Legend
No restrictions IMO

Clue in Tron could be considered lawful evil and path of devotion and a Paladin dedicated to an evil god of trickery would work just as well but be chaotic. Ancients could be titans, gods and elemental forces so anything works. Vengeance? Same.

The power of 5e is cultivating these for good RP.
The only issue is the specific Tenets, which give indications of alignment. For example:

Devotion: Compassion (protecting the weak) and Honor (doing the most good with the least amount of harm) give a pretty clear indication of Good and/or Lawful. Lawful Evil would be VERY tricky to pull that off, but possible. Clue might be, but Devotion to a god of Trickery just wouldn't work IMO.

Ancients: All of the tenets pretty much indicate Good, or at least Neutral. Evil just doesn't fit the descriptions at all.

Vengeance: Probably the best for any alignment. Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil still don't seem to fit very well, but they're a better fit than the other two by far.

Of course, you can modify the tenets as the DM (or with the DM's permission). As written, however, the Evil alignments don't fit the three options very well. If you don't modify them, an Evil Paladin could have a very hard time trying to RP his alignment and his tenets.

Also, if your group doesn't pay that much attention to AL (and I understand that many don't), then this entire conversation is moot.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Absolutely, they are the murky Neutral leaning oath.

It says it right there in the description.

People call it the Batman oath, but that's not true at all.

Its the Punisher oath. The Moon Knight oath. The Rorschach oath.

Remove ads