• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pallys get Platemail Feat but Fighters do not?

Gort

Explorer
40% of Fighter skills have ACP. 14% of Paladin skills have ACP.

Fighters will probably want to use Scale instead of Plate.

You're still going to want to have Athletics when you fall in the sea, armour check penalty or not.

Obryn

Hero
Sadly, I think it's a byproduct of enforced symmetry in the armor rankings.

Paladins: Plate + Shield
Fighters: Scale + Shield
Warlords: Chain + Shield
Clerics: Chain
Rangers: Hide
Rogues/Warlocks: Leather
Wizards: Cloth

About the only blip is with Rogues and Warlocks, but otherwise there's a clear progression.

I don't think there'd be a problem giving Fighters plate proficiency, too. There are perfectly good reasons they wouldn't want it, and I don't think every fighter would end up wearing it. To be honest, I think scale is probably better for them, overall, but I don't think that's a sufficient reason for them not to be proficient in plate.

-O

ki11erDM

Explorer
Technically, they do not get any feat for free. They are just able to use plate. This might seem like nitpicking, but it helps if you ever run into the whole argument about if your paladin can use the plate if he has too low strength.

This is the reason I think they let Pallys have plate for 'free'. It is very consivable that a pally could not even use heavy armor without it.

Dracorat

First Post
Technically, they do not get any feat for free. They are just able to use plate. This might seem like nitpicking, but it helps if you ever run into the whole argument about if your paladin can use the plate if he has too low strength.

He can't if his STR is too low.

Admiral Caine

First Post

Ahhhh!

Very good. I can see the conflict over innocent choice of words.

Thanks to everybody for their comments!

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Last edited:

Dracorat

First Post
A paladin with a 10 strength can wear and use Plate armor just fine. (Although he might be encumbered due to the weight of his gear.)

In attempt to head of the debate, I present the PHB FAQ, question #1, on the WOTC website:

Answer

The question is regarding a fighter with a lower than 13 Con using Scale armor, but the answer is the same.

I just went to the same source actually.

I would say it only goes half way toward answering the question, but it at least trends toward the answer you have given, so I'll let it be.

Gruns

Explorer
Flavor

I'm just verifying this because it surprises me.

Paladins get the Plate Mail Feat for free, but the Fighter does not.

Has there been any discussion or comments on this?

If not.. am I understanding this to be correct?

Yeah, I thought it odd at first, too. (Same for clerics only getting chain and no shield). I think it's partly a flavor issue, partly a balance issue, and partly a way to make Fighters and Paladins a little more different. The fact that Scale has no armor check penalty makes it a pretty good choice for most Fighters anyway.
Later!
Gruns

CapnZapp

Legend
Plate profiency was the first feat I got for my Human Fighter. Why would I not want the best AC possible for my Defender?

(If there was a balancing issue, it must have been incredibly small. How accurate must the playtest procedure have been for something as small and cheap as a feat to make a difference...!? *shakes head*)

Remove ads