• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pallys get Platemail Feat but Fighters do not?

Gort

Explorer
Plate profiency was the first feat I got for my Human Fighter. Why would I not want the best AC possible for my Defender?

Personally, I never go for plate on a fighter. I find the -2 armour check penalty too debilitating for the benefit of a single point of AC.

I suppose it all comes down to how much you value your physical skills, how many times you're going to get attacked on your AC, and what else you could have spent that feat on.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, I thought it odd at first, too. (Same for clerics only getting chain and no shield).
Later!
Gruns

I think this is a bigger issue actually. Clerics are one of the few classes whose primary stat is not an AC stat and who doesn't get shield prof.

DracoSuave

First Post
Paladins can defend (i.e. mark -and- punish its violation) at a range, whereas fighters cannot. The fighter needs that extra mobility over the paladin for that reason. As well, magical properties of items tend to be better for fighter-type defending in scale, and paladin-type defending in plate.

frankthedm

First Post
I too suspect paladins get plate built-in because they have a better chance of not meeting the ability score prerequisites than the fighter. Given that some folks don't feel the benefits of plate outweigh it's hindrances compared to scale, having plate built in is not even that great.

indeed wotc rigged the paragon armor feats to make sure scale gets more out of its feat than plate does, so don't feel too bad about it.

Gruns

Explorer
What?

Of course, if you read the Cleric class as getting shield prof but not getting a feat, that's taken care of too...

I don't get this statement. Why would you read the cleric like that? Is this the same thing as saying that all Wizards get Leather armor, but don't get a feat? Your statement doesn't make sense to me...
Later
Gruns

Starglim

Explorer
Of course, if you read the Cleric class as getting shield prof but not getting a feat, that's taken care of too...

If you read it that way, you're making up a rule not supported by the text. Compare the Cleric Armor Proficiency line with the Warlord Armor Proficiency line. The Cleric doesn't gain proficiency with any shield.

Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
One reason would be threat generation. Your fighter cannot generate as much rage without getting hit more and the pally uses mana rather than rage so its not an issue.

I C wut u did thur.

----------

I play a 5th level human fighter. As of now, I wouldn't trade any of my feats for Plate armor, though I do suspect at some point I will take it.

edit note: I'd also point out that Tact Warlords wear Hide + shield or polearm at low levels to take advantage of their int bonus.

Remove ads