• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pallys get Platemail Feat but Fighters do not?

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I don't see many paladins having dex 15, either ...
Mine does, or more correctly he will at level 11. But starting with a 14 dex meant his prime attribute started at 16...

So yes, I'm in agreement with your observation, and the likelihood doesn't get much better with the 15 con alternative.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

I see a bunch of edition war snark here. There's one possible ban being discussed by the mods already. I strongly suggest you play nice, because for the second or further bans, we won't need much discussion....

Turtlejay

First Post
I'm surprised nobody jumped all over the ability requirement explanation. Pallys need to have high Str/Cha, and tertiary Wis. With the odd power setup for the two Paladin builds, you almost have to maintain some sort of high score in both primaries (or multiclass, but that's a different show) to be effective. Trying to qualify for plate would be impossible, and make Paladins even *worse* than fighters. Cuz let's face it, fighters are the best defenders around, so far.

Jay

Incenjucar

Legend
WotC envisions fighters as "warriors" in the sense that they charge in and fight like gladiators or soldiers, while paladins are "defenders" in the proper sense, charging in on horseback when they must do so (which negates the movement issue), but being more about their own survival than the destruction of the enemy (which is useful since they're heavy on the leader abilities).

Fighters are Madmartigans, not Lancelots, at default.

Remove ads