• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Path Multiclassing

Sunsword

Adventurer
Andur said:
My thoughts:

1) Houserule the feat requirement to just the initial Multiclass feat.

2) Provide a bonus feat at each Paragon level to make up for the three "wasted" feats.

Either would satisfy my sense of "right" with the game.

I like these ideas best. Probably number 2 best. Conscider it stolen!

:D

mattdm

First Post
Andur said:
2) Provide a bonus feat at each Paragon level to make up for the three "wasted" feats.

Ooh, I like that one. It keeps the "multiclass is your paragon path" feel while still letting you have character build options.

But my guess is that future books are going to offer more and more cool paragon paths (like the prestige class explosion in 3E), making giving that option up seem more and more painful. If I'm right in that guess, the idea of having paragon multiclassing be something you just get without trading out your paragon path (maybe at the price of one more feat) is still my favorite. But if I'm wrong and feats turn out to really be where it's at, I'll do this instead.

mattdm

First Post
Ipissimus said:
Methinks we may be seeing the Mystic Theurge, Eldrich Knight, Arcane Trickster, et al again in a future supplement as paragon paths.

I bet not. That'd basically be admitting defeat.

mattdm

First Post
keterys said:
It'd make more sense to just have new base classes, anyhow.

Ie, like the swordmage.

It'll be interesting to see if they eventually resort to having base classes which use powers from other classes, or if a class like that will have its whole own set of unique powers (slightly-like-but-different?).

keterys

First Post
Mostly unique, I'd expect.

Okay, for those who flat out want friendlier multiclassing (to the extent that until we get a _lot_ more feat options everyone pretty much will do it since feat options are just bleak at the moment):

Add additional options for the initial multiclass feats or add these entirely to the benefits of following a paragon path:

Cleric - Healing Word 1/enc
Fighter - Mark on hit, attack when attack someone else
Paladin - Div Challenge (Cha mod dmg)
Ranger - Gain Twin Strike as an at-will and the ability to use a one handed weapon and count it as an off hand
Ranger - Gain Hunter's Quarry for +2 / +3 / +4 feat bonus to damage 1/rnd.
Rogue - Gain Sneak Attack for +3 / +5 / +7 feat bonus to damage 1/rnd.
Warlock - Curse for +1 / +2 / +3 feat bonus to damage 1/rnd. Also, may get Pact Boon 1/enc.
Warlord - Inspiring Word 1/enc
Wizard - Spellbook for Wizard spells only, bonus rituals with ritual casting (if/when the character gets it), and cantrips
Wizard - Gain one wizard at-will

Those are the full benefit - no skill training, none of the normal benefits, and you can't take multiple for the same class.

Add an additional multiclass feat type:

Basic Power
[Multiclass At-Will]
Prerequisites: Any class-specific multiclass feat, 1st level
Benefit: You can swap one at-will attack power you know for one at-will attack power from the class you multiclassed into.

Modify Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power with the following templated change -
'Benefit: You can swap any number of *** powers you know for *** powers of the same levels or lower from the class you multiclassed into.

That should 'solve' the following 'problems':

1) Qualifying for paragon paths
2) Actually being able to fulfill some aspect of the other role - like multiclassing into fighter or paladin would let you be a defender some, whereas it really doesn't at the moment.

If you want to get cheeky with it, let the half-elf Dilletante power able to be swapped out for a full at-will power with the basic power feat ;)

DonAdam

Explorer
Thinking about the Curse/Sneak Attack/Quarry stacking problem, you could always add a common type to all of them so that they don't stack.

That should also get around the "every rogue wants Warrior of the Wild" problem that presently exists.

Andur

First Post
Even though I still like my idea because 1) it is mine and 2) KISS.

The SA/HQ/WC problem as stated above can be negated with a keyword added, "Feature" is short and sweet. Then simply add "Feature" to all class features and state that "Features" don't stack, a creature can only be subject to one "Feature" at a time, a new "Feature" replaces the old "Feature".

Remove ads