• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paridon Book II: A Taste For Power (Closed)

Rhun

First Post
Well, if the goggles weigh more than 2 lb then Rhiannon moves into medium encumbrance, and that's not good, so I'd need to lose a few powder bombs or something. Minor detail, but nice to know anyway.

Keep in mind that coin and anything else your PC will carry technically goes toward encumberance levels too. 50 coin to a pound.

I only mention this because in one of the games I am running I have several PCs lugging about thousands of coins, and not one of them mentioned it in their encumberance. :D

Theroc

First Post
Keep in mind that coin and anything else your PC will carry technically goes toward encumberance levels too. 50 coin to a pound.

I only mention this because in one of the games I am running I have several PCs lugging about thousands of coins, and not one of them mentioned it in their encumberance. :D

Argh! ~switches some normal arrows into adamantine arrows to reduce coinage to save weight!~

Tiali

First Post
This thread has just exploded with activity in the past few days. Getting kinda hard to follow.

Any chance I can get an update on where we sit? Current Roster, ending recruitment date, start date, etc :p

Really interested in this game, and hoping to play.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
This thread has just exploded with activity in the past few days. Getting kinda hard to follow.

Any chance I can get an update on where we sit? Current Roster, ending recruitment date, start date, etc :p

Really interested in this game, and hoping to play.

I'm working on moving forward.

Note that I have a very demanding job, and I'm happily married to a non-gamer wife, so I sometimes have to move very slowly in the game...

It just gives you all more time to think.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Gis meets with Cliff Hammerstriker.

"So, you used to work at Little Diversions? Strange how that dive keeps turning up. I sent Perrin, Darian Rose, and Fr. Abingdon there, to clean up after a nasty brawl. If you were there at the time, many thanks.

Come to think of it, you might very well know some of the gnomes in our cells right now. Two of them used to dance there, and the third, well, we haven't interviewed, er, Kitten yet.

Still, I've worked with brawlers before. Know the way they lose control. We pride ourselves on discipline here. Keeping this city safe isn't easy, and many days, you have to love the job. You have to love this city. Mr. Hammerstriker, what brings you to the constabulary? What do you love?"

Gis meets with Sir Skyler Martell.

"Sir Martell, I'm glad to finally meet you. I've been working on the Gnomish New Year case, and Lord Abbott Gaston D'Marosso has agreed to be the magistrate for the case. He spoke quite highly of you, and your recommendations couldn't be more solid. We're glad to have you aboard.

I must feel fit to warn you, this position can be quite dangerous. Torhan was a model constable, and he will be missed. You will replace him. It will do the Rose Company good to have a noble in their ranks. A certain member has been known to be impulsive. But quite clearly, the Rose Company is the place to be.

Do you have any questions for me?"

Gis meets with Eugene Brasspin.

"It's good to see your ambition, Eugene. I know you've been with the force only a short time, but you've done well for yourself. Please, sit down.

I'm glad you sought us out, your previous dealings with gnomes will come in handy. The Rose Company's present case deals with the Clocktower district, and we are presently holding a few locals who might not have cases built against them.

So, you've heard of the Company, and you're looking to move up. Tell me, how do you see your role in the Company? How are you going to support our efforts?"

Gis meets with Rhiannon Fleetwood.

"Ms. Fleetwood, good of you to stop by. I recognize your name from our gang rosters... No, don't worry, I won't hold it against you. You won't even be the only former gang member in the Rose Company. Ru and I go far back. He wisely saw the value in discipline over brutality. Can't say that the Strahd Street Irregulars were so pleased, He takes his training and exercises very seriously. We can mold you into an even better person, a better citizen here.

In fact, some might say that the police are merely another form of gang in the city, answering to the nobles. I suppose it all depends on your point of view. What are you hoping to gain out of the experience?"

pathfinderq1

First Post
Here is the write-up for Gwendolyn Harper, Candlebright sister of the Order of the Sacred Torch: (need to finalize mundane gear, but everything else ought to be set)

Name: Sister Gwendolyn Harper, Candlebright
Race/gender: Human/ female
Class/level: Cloistered cleric 3/Warmage 2
Alignment: NG
Religion: Ezra (Order of the Sacred Torch)
Height: 5’1”
Weight: 100 lbs
Hair: black
Eyes: green

Description: Gwendolyn is a young human woman- she is short and more skinny than slender, with very pale skin, dark eyes and black hair. She maintains an austere, even severe, appearance- she keeps her hair trimmed to a nearly military shortness, wears no make-up and no jewelry (except for religious accessories). Her features are a bit sharp, but certainly attractive, and she tries to maintain a calm, reserved air. She wears a close-fitting black coat with full sleeves and a high collar over a wide, floor-length skirt- she also wears a decorous head scarf over the close-fitted red cap which indicates her service to the Militant orders of the church. A string of prayer beads is constantly wrapped around her right wrist and forearm, and she carries an unadorned black satchel over one shoulder. She wears a plain dagger under her coat (with her armor), but her only visible weaponry is a covered holster at her belt at the small of her back- it holds a wand set into a decorative handgrip so that it resembles a stylized pistol.

The Order of the Sacred Torch (commonly called “torchbearers”): “Do not fear the shadows- not the darkness, nor the cold, nor the lurking evils. For within your heart you bear the sacred torch of Her divine power- Ezra’s light to show the way, Ezra’s heat to warm you, and Ezra’s flame to strike the wicked”- from the Lessons of Saint Ginevra Dragonheart (patron saint of the Order of the Sacred Torch). The Order of the Sacred Torch is a very small but very old order within the Ezraite church- they are considered to be part of the Church Militant (that is, the arm of the church charged with the physical protection of the faithful, and with striking out at the enemies of the faith). While most of the Militant orders are primarily physical in nature, the Sacred Torch is focused upon magical combat. Most members are scholars as well, but all have at least some measure of arcane spellcasting (though most view their abilities as being granted by Ezra, and thus divine in nature). In fact, while the order is dedicated to combat, most of the members seem to disdain physical weapons and fighting- some of the most dedicated carry no weapons at all. While they are tasked both with protecting the faithful and smiting the wicked in equal measure, most members tend to focus on one side of the mission (those inclined to protection may specialize in abjuration or transformation, or be bards or beguilers, while those who favor a direct approach may be warmages or invokers). Members of the order tend to view most necromancy as ‘unclean’, and rarely use such magic- pure or narrowly-focused necromancers are not welcome in the order. The order’s patron saint is Ginevra, called the Dragonheart. Legends say that she was born a dragon and lived for a thousand years before being converted to the Ezraite faith- she gave up her draconic form and immortality, but retained her sorceries and fiery breath. She served as a one-woman arcane army in Ezra’s service for many years, and was finally martyred by calling down divine fires upon the infidel army which had captured her. As one might expect, the order makes extensive use of flame imagery and metaphors, both in its teachings and in its rituals- for instance, clergy in the order have titles graded in increasing degrees of fire.

Personality: Gwendolyn genuinely wants to be a good person, and for the most part she is. She was very emotional in her youth (even wild or sinful), but has brought that mostly under control. She deliberately cultivates a very calm, reserved air, and she maintains a very strict, almost Spartan lifestyle- in fact she rarely even seems to eat or sleep, and doesn’t drink anything stronger than water. She lives very simply, in the chapterhouse of her Order, and keeps few possessions (mostly books- she owns no clothing other than uniforms and clerical vestments, and little jewelry, for instance). She allows herself only two indulgences- for the first, she has a dedicated hobbyist’s interest in literature and poetry. Her second pleasure is a bit more complicated- through the mysteries of Ezra’s will, Gwendolyn derives a rather intense and visceral degree of pleasure from her spellcasting. While she enjoys it, she is a bit conflicted as well- on one hand, something so pleasurable MUST be sinful, certainly, but if it is granted by Ezra Herself, it must be all right… She also likes the idea of dishing out divine justice to deserving criminals- though she occasionally has issues telling the difference between legally sanctioned punishment and divinely inspired “Justice”.

History: Gwendolyn was born in a poor working class neighborhood, little better than a slum, and she was orphaned at the age of four when a fire swept through the row of tenements. Like many orphans, she was fostered by the Ezraite churches. The church quickly discovered that she was intelligent, curious, and most importantly, possessed of an inborn talent for magic. She was originally slated for one of the scholarly orders- even as a child it was obvious she would not have the strength to serve in one of the physically demanding sects. Gwendolyn enjoyed her studies, to a degree, but often found herself a bit bored- she soon began to exhibit emotional outbursts and inappropriate behavior simply to get a bit of excitement and attention. Her superiors despaired of getting her to actually enter the clergy- pure chance granted an opportunity to have her tested by the very small and selective Order of the Sacred Torch. As it happened, she passed the recruiting tests easily. She quickly found the order to be very different from the scholarly teachings she had been used to- the strict discipline of the military order gave her the structure and guidance that she had been sadly lacking. More importantly, the pleasure she felt while channeling Ezra’s divine energies easily surpassed any of the more sinful diversions she had begun to explore- she was hooked, as one might say. She trained within the order for three years before her superiors felt that she was ready for field work- with no real wars going on, most of the order’s members served with the constabulary, at least for a time (some, in fact, served their entire career on the force). Gwendolyn was very interested in joining the force, eager to serve as a vessel for Ezra’s justice (or so she said)- she was assigned to serve with the Investigative branch. She still lives at her order’s chapterhouse, but has been detached from most of her formal church duties so that she can focus on her work as a constable.

Game stats:

STR 8 (-1) (0 pts)
DEX 12 (+1) (4 pts)
CON 12 (+1) (4 pts)
INT 14 (+2) (6 pts)
WIS 14 (+2) (6 pts)
CHA 16 (+3) (8 pts, +1 at level 4)
((28 total))

Cloistered cleric 3/Warmage 2
Level 5 (next: Warmage 3)
XP: 10000

Saves:
+4/Fortitude: +3+0 base, +1 CON
+2/Reflex: +1+0 base, +1 DEX
+8/Will: +3+3 base, +2 WIS

Initiative: +1 (DEX +1)
AC: 16 (touch 11, Flat-footed 15; DEX +1, armor +4+1)
Hit points: 30 (6/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5 +6 CON)
BAB: +2 (melee +1, ranged +3)
Base speed: 30 feet

Feats:
1. Skill focus-Concentration (1st level)
2. Eschew materials (racial bonus)
3. Practiced spellcaster- Warmage (3rd level)
Next: Fiery burst (6th level; Complete Mage)
Note: If Flaws are used, she has the Flaw: Noncombatant, and adds the feat Iron Will.

Spells per day:
Cleric level 0: 4 (CL 3, DC 12)
Cleric level 1: 3 +1 (CL 3, DC 13)
Cleric level 2: 2+1 (CL 3, DC 14)
Warmage level 0: 6 (CL 5, DC 13)
Warmage level 1: 5 (CL 5, DC 14)

Cleric domains: Fire, Knowledge (bonus), Magic
Cleric spells added: Level 0- Message; Level 1- Erase, Identify, Unseen servant; Level 2- Fox’s cunning; Level 3- Illusory script, Secret page, Tongues; Level 4- Detect scrying

Skills (level/skill//points/rank/+att/+other)(36+9+5+9+5= 64)
+7/Bluff//8 cc/4/CHA +3
+12/Concentration//8/8/CON +1, feat +3
+3/Craft-Alchemy//1/1/INT +2
+3/Decipher Script//1/1/INT +2
+4/Diplomacy//1/1/CHA +3
+5/Heal//3/3/WIS +2
+10/Knowledge- arcane//8/8/INT +2
+3/Knowledge- architecture/engineering//1/1/INT +2
+3/Knowledge- dungeoneering//1/1/INT +2
+3/Knowledge- geography//1/1/INT +2
+5/Knowledge- history//3/3/INT +2
+5/Knowledge- literature/Poetry//3/3/INT +2
+6/Knowledge- local//4/4/INT +2
+3/Knowledge- nobility/royalty//1/1/INT +2
+9/Knowledge- religion//7/7/INT +2
+4/Knowledge- the planes//2/2/INT +2
+3/Profession- constable//1/1/WIS +2
+3/Search//2 cc/1/INT +2
+12/Spellcraft//8/8/INT +2, synergy +2

Skills notes: Bluff skill is used mostly to mask any show of emotion- she is a poor liar. Knowledge- literature does not actually exist as a category, but seemed appropriate. Sense Motive and Gather Information are used untrained, representing her naivety.

Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic

Class abilities:
(Cloistered cleric)
-Lore: 1d20+5 check (as Bardic knowledge)
-Spontaneous healing
-Turn undead: 6x/day; check 1d20+5; “turning damage” 2d6+6

(Warmage)
-Armored mage (light)
-Warmage edge: +2 damage

Equipment (9000 gp total- partial list)
-Ring of Sustenance (2500 gp)
-Mithril shirt +1 (2100 gp)
-Heward’s handy haversack (2000 gp)
-Wand of Magic Missile (CL 1, x50 charges; 750 gp)
-Everburning torch (Consecrated, also acts a wooden holy symbol; 111 gp)
-Decorative handgrip for wand (looks like a stylized pistol; 50 gp)
-Wand of Prestidigitation (CL 1, x50 charges; 375 gp)
-Wand of CLW (CL 1, x50 charges; 750 gp)

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
IVV: Small bit of confusion. Rhiannon never actually joined a gang, just had dealings with them. Primarily being targetted by one(could be Strahd if you'd like, as she'd pursued and caught members based on jobs in the past). She was freelance.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
IVV: Small bit of confusion. Rhiannon never actually joined a gang, just had dealings with them. Primarily being targetted by one(could be Strahd if you'd like, as she'd pursued and caught members based on jobs in the past). She was freelance.

Well, I could say oops, but... I won't. :] Gis's comments stay. How does Rhiannon react to Gis?

Theroc

First Post
Gis meets with Rhiannon Fleetwood.

"Ms. Fleetwood, good of you to stop by. I recognize your name from our gang rosters... No, don't worry, I won't hold it against you. You won't even be the only former gang member in the Rose Company. Ru and I go far back. He wisely saw the value in discipline over brutality. Can't say that the Strahd Street Irregulars were so pleased, He takes his training and exercises very seriously. We can mold you into an even better person, a better citizen here.

In fact, some might say that the police are merely another form of gang in the city, answering to the nobles. I suppose it all depends on your point of view. What are you hoping to gain out of the experience?"

Rhiannon blinked at the mention of her presence on the gang rosters and her expression masked a cold stare she gave for being compared to the thugs and criminals she both hunted(as of late), and was once prey to.

"I'm afraid your rosters are inaccurate, Mr. Gis, I am not a member of any gang... though perhaps the Irregulars you mentioned were one of those who have been trying to kill me of late. They don't take kindly to having their men in hiding located. As for why I'm here? I want to know if I ever have a child that she will not be beaten every day of her life growing out when she goes out to play. I want to know I don't need my husband teaching my daughter how to kill before she comes of age to even consider marriage," Her stoic, calm expression broke for a moment, a pair of tears welling in her eyes as she paused, before reclaiming her composure. "I will make this city safe for children or I'll die trying, Mr. Gis. Learning a few skills to do that better are always good... but that's a means to the end..."

Tiali

First Post
sorry IVV didnt mean to sound pushy, was just kinda wondering where things was heading. RL always comes first :p

"Gis meets with Cliff Hammerstriker.

"So, you used to work at Little Diversions? Strange how that dive keeps turning up. I sent Perrin, Darian Rose, and Fr. Abingdon there, to clean up after a nasty brawl. If you were there at the time, many thanks.

Come to think of it, you might very well know some of the gnomes in our cells right now. Two of them used to dance there, and the third, well, we haven't interviewed, er, Kitten yet.

Still, I've worked with brawlers before. Know the way they lose control. We pride ourselves on discipline here. Keeping this city safe isn't easy, and many days, you have to love the job. You have to love this city. Mr. Hammerstriker, what brings you to the constabulary? What do you love?""

Cliff hikes up his pants and throws out his chest in pride as Gis mentions his home turf. "Aye, I used to be a brawler at the Lil Diversion, and I met me too many o' the hard working soldiers of this city to remember any names. We 'ad brawls every couple o' nights, and boy did they get messy" Cliff chuckles as he remembers some of his favorite brawls.

Cliff listens to Gis as he finishes his second question. "Oh, that be a toughy sir. This city be a fine place to live, and the people 'ere be very friendly." Cliff runs his hands through his beard as he contemplates the insightful question that was thrown his way. "Well sir, I would have to say I love the people o' this city more than a little. In a way, they 'elped raise me, since I was a tot. That be the reason I spend me nights on the streets, protecting those I see, who need protecting, and aye, I do love the job o' smacking them around." Cliff takes a moment to laugh at his own comment.

"I guess sir, that I be running out o' options. Street cleaning can only go so far, before those roughians decide to get a party going to run me through. I need both knowledge of the streets, and a bit o' help to put them dogs in their place. Sir... You have both."

Cliff slams his hands on the table in a passion. "I can take thier hits, and I can take their insults, but sir... I canno' allow them to hurt the people o' this city!"

Cliff takes a moment to collect himself before going on. "Sir, I need this job..."

Remove ads