Paridon Book II: A Taste For Power (IC)

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

"What? Dead? Where? How? Are you sure?" Cassilda exclaims. The slice of cake slips from her hand and slops to the floor, quivering and splashing terribly. She looks at everyone, and when she sees Camilla, she responds, "No... Really... Oh Ezra..."

She slumps against the nearby counter, steadying herself.

Ru moves to Cassilda, offering his help to steady her, walking her to the closest seat if possible. He looks to the others, nodding as he notices Rhiannon has already begun searching.

"I know it's a shock, ma'am," the monk says. "Please take your time. But you feel up to it, we'll want to talk about who's been in and out of the kitchen, and perhaps about your food suppliers?"

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Cassilda steadies herself. "There is just Camilla and myself. Most other staff do not wish to stay long. Our food comes from the local markets, although we do have some special suppliers for the imported items. Here, I'll give you a list..."

* * *​

Skyler stands about 30 feet away. The big fear in this gloom is that the torch may signal your presence more than reveal the situation.

Rhun

First Post
Skyler holds up his hand. "Let us follow him, and see where he leads." With that, the knight continues to try to quietly follow their quarry, but is ready to spring into action and charge the figure should he note their presence and try to escape.

Theroc

First Post
Stumbling on the deceased crickets, Rhiannon took a step back, looking over to the others.

"Are these insects a source of food, or a deceased infestation...?" She asked, looking dubiously at them, though given the number, she doubted it was an infestation. While she had thought the kitchen would be a less disturbing locale than the sewer... perhaps she'd been mistaken, given the lord's eating habits.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Cassilda walks over to Rhiannon, takes a pinch of salmon-colored powder from the jar, and sprinkles it over the crickets.

"Oh, no, they are very much alive, and not an infestation at all," Cassilda explains. "But you need to keep them sprinkled with a special fungal powder, or they start hopping and flying around."

Cassilda grins as she adds, "I'm surprised you do not recognize the lazy cricket. It is an elvish dish, after all. Our supplier is in the bazaar, a gentleman named Silistrax. It is quite difficult to raise this many crickets in the city, but he does love the meal. Here, let me show you..."

Cassilda picks up a cricket. The insect moves slowly in her grasp, only barely comprehending its surroundings. "You rub it back here, let its wings spread. You pluck the wings out, like this. The wings are possibly the most delicate meat you can taste, they are thinner than paper, or phyllo, yet they do not melt in your mouth. You'll taste some of the powder--it's a tingling sensation on your lips. Break off the back legs. Eat them now, or save them for later. This leaves the fat body ready for the main course. Stick the end in your mouth, and suck hard--the innards pop right out, like this!"

* * *​

The sacks grips the pipe firmly in its lips, keeping its position solid as it regurgitates its content into the depths below. The man leaves the sack in place, and it stands turgidly on the end of the tube. The man resumes his shuffling down the corridor, which continues to grow tighter and tighter. Skyler figures he would have to turn sideways to get through with his armor...

Whether the figure has not yet noticed the police, he continues as if no one watches.

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

Ru stops over to Rhiannon, keeping his face blank as yet another "delicacy" is demonstrated.

"I'm afraid I, at least, am still rather full from the meal your lord provided," he says congenially. "Thank you much for the list of suppliers, Cassilda. I think that's all we'll need for the moment, though we may be back in touch with you. If you need anything, or if something comes back to you that you think might be of any significance, please feel free to contact us."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
whispering fiercely:
"Let's get him now or we'll lose him. If he can squeeze as much as pipe coming up to that toilet we stand no chance."

Remove ads