D&D 5E Parrying and Protecting versus spells and othe rstuff

slobo777

First Post
By my reading of Parry/Protect:

"When you are damaged by an attack while you are wielding a weapon or a shield, you can spend expertise dice to reduce the damage."

Damaging spells are not attacks by default (unlike, say 4E). Casting a spell is its own action type, and not an attack action.

However, some damaging spells are specifically "attacks", even sharing rule space with melee and ranged attack rules, that means in a direct reading of the rules, a fighter could reduce damage from:

* Armour piercing effect from e.g. Ogres and Minotaurs
* Inflict <Type> Wounds. Even on a miss.
* Melf's Acid arrow. Including on a miss, and potentially including the additional damage (though I'd probably rule against the latter, as although it was due to an attack, the extra damage was not directlycaused by an attack).
* Radiant Lance.
* Ray of Enfeeblement
* Ray of Frost
* Searing Light
* Shocking Grasp
* Spiritual Hammer
* Vampiric Touch

Right / wrong? Intended as part of the game, or an oversight that will get tightened up (presumably when mosnters start making magical attacks or get Parry-like abilities). Any variation by spell ?

Rhenny

Adventurer
I agree with Nightwing. For game balance and simplicity sake, it probably should only apply to melee attacks at this point. I wouldn't even include shocking grasp (even though it is kind of like a melee attack) since the electrical charge would not be stopped by a metal weapon or shield. Vampric touch??? maybe.

I can see however improved skills later on that can block missle weapons and some spell effects if the fighter uses a shield to block.

Examples:

Any ray or missle that is not auto-hit.
Fireball (hiding behind the shield)

slobo777

First Post
Examples:
Fireball (hiding behind the shield)

That was one of the interesting things - due to the break between "magic attack" and "make a save" spells, parry as worded right now won't affect Fireball.

Of course the wording may well get altered or tightened up.

It could well make sense once that is done, that basic parry is a melee weapon defence only, and some fighting styles give you more coverage of missiles, magic attacks, and even save-versus-damage effects.

kerleth

Explorer
I think that parry should definitely work against shocking grasp style effects. Your character isn't completely blocking the attack, only reducing the effect. A successful non parried shocking grasp is where the mage strikes you on the chest and yells "Clear!". A parried one knocks their arm to the side so that you are grazed, numbing your left arm and making you a little twitchy, or perhaps completely spoiling a weaker or poorly aimed (read as rolled low damage) shocking grasp. As far as arrows and searing rays, that I could see going either way. Is it technically possible to see that someone is about to release an arrow or throw a javelin and begin moving to deflect where they are aiming towards, yes. Could a material object block part of a laser so not as much burny hits the target, (aka searing lance), yes. Would it be a lot harder to pull off and should a generic 1st level fighter pull it off, I dunno.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Casting a spell is its own action type, and not an attack action.

I think that is quite possibly the kind of rules dissection that they want to avoid for dndNext... The whole "rulings, not rules" thing.

If I was a DM I would decide wholly on a case by case basis, and if I were a player I'd hope that my DM would do the same thing. Heck, if a player was by a corner and said "can I use expertise dice to reduce the fireball/dragon breath damage by ducking back a little I'd say "sure!"

slobo777

First Post
I think that is quite possibly the kind of rules dissection that they want to avoid for dndNext... The whole "rulings, not rules" thing.

If I was a DM I would decide wholly on a case by case basis, and if I were a player I'd hope that my DM would do the same thing. Heck, if a player was by a corner and said "can I use expertise dice to reduce the fireball/dragon breath damage by ducking back a little I'd say "sure!"

I'm fine with that as a guiding principle to keep the rules light. Especially for events that crop up rarely.

But a core ability that can be used at will, and interacts with "attacks". Well, I will want to know what an "attack" is, because this will crop up in play a lot. And I'm probably not alone ;)

For now, it's academic - there are only a handful of monster abilities that would cause you to need to think and make such rulings.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm into it.

I like the idea that parrying and shields are useful against actual things coming at you that might hurt you. Some wizard wiggles his fingers at you, you're not just going to let him put them in your ears. You're going to PARRY his hand directly, turning it aside. A glob of acid or a ball of energy comes hurtling down the pipe at you, you're going to turn that stuff aside. If it doesn't GO THROUGH WALLS, it shouldn't go through your shield.

YES to parrying magical attacks.

Hell, you can parry thrown spears, even deflect arrows. Maybe you should need a shield to 'parry' a ranged attack with full effect (1d6 gets reduced to 1d4 if you try to deflect a sling stone with your longsword?), but it should still be possible.

Remove ads