D&D 5E Party Make Up- What to play?

First Post
For all the ranged suggestions, just note that Sharpshooter becomes a near mandatory feat with all the melee teammates you have providing half and three-quarter cover to your targets. Additionally, consider how many melee people there are already and whether the evocation wizard can afford one more (Careful Spell)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I am thinking Fighter Archer build right or another melee character. I don't want to play a caster so if that helps you guys with your advice/guidance I appreciate it!
That limits your options. There are 38 sub-classes in the PH, about 30 of them cast spells and a few more come darn close. Berserker, Champion, Battlemaster, Thief, and Assassin are what you have to choose from. With your party rogue being McRanger, it might be outdoorsy enough or otherwise leave open some need for a more conventional D&D Thief, if opening locks & disarming traps and backstabbing appeal. Or an Assassin able to cover any missing Rogue skills and, y'know, kill people. Your party already has a Battlemaster and Paladin for high-DPR (and presumably the ranger/rogue), so the remaining choices would just be a third front-liner grinding out the damage in an already large, fairly high DPR party. The Archer idea at least doesn't add to the crowd.

Why not play a caster, though? It really opens up a lot more choices. They're not all like Lore Bards. A Warlock can be fun, and isn't stereotypically Vancian, for instance. Then there's options like the Monk that don't quite technically cast spells, but still have a little more to do than just hit things and make the occasional check.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A Monk who dips Rogue can provide you a FAST pseudo-Striker. While the rest of the group is pounding down the enemy's front line, run through the mob and hit BBEG up close and personal. (Opportunity attacks are your best friend, even though you are Mr. DeathOf1000Cuts not The Annihilator.)

A Shadow Monk will have mobility to drive your DM nuts (teleport between any two shadows - hello Underdark or nighttime) and special abilities to avoid being noticed / shot at in the first place.

I have an AL Monk/Rogue (only L3 alas) and have enjoyed playing him. He is the Designated Sneak. At full development he will be Way of the Open Hand 17 / Arcane Trickster 3.
My future plan for him in combat is to steal critical stuff from back-line combatants. Let's see that archmage operate when I snitch away his spell component pouch. Or I could win the scenario by pilfering the MacGuffin right out of its cubbyhole, while the rest of my group provides a top-priority distraction by kicking down the door and starting a brawl.

pdegan2814

First Post
Is it necessary to have to have a support character in the party to make a successful party?

Necessary? No. But it sure is helpful. You just want to make sure that the "support" character has secondary capabilities so he won't be totally useless if his main "support abilities" aren't needed at the time. Clerics for example are still pretty decent melee combatants, arcane casters should have some go-to damage cantrips that they can use to blast enemies without burning spell slots, that sort of thing.

Remove ads