Level Up (A5E) Passive Skill Checks- Which skills can be checked passively?

The A5e character sheet mentions that Stealth, Insight and Perception can be checked passively under certain circumstances. However, there appears to be a fourth skill that can be picked and done passively by the PC. So aside from the three established passive skills, what other skills can be checked passively?

All skills? So there are circumstances where just about any skill can be done passively? I was under the impression that an active skill check was one where the PC was consciously performing a skill while a passive skill check was more of a subconscious thing. Passive Insight representing the 'gut feeling' we all have from time to time, for instance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think the rules say that passive checks are subconscious anywhere?

Passive skills represent things done on autopilot. It's the current version of "taking 10". While perception and insight are undoubtedly the most common examples by far, any skill can be used in that way.

Stalker0

Legend
One question I have about passive skills, since LU can allow for some very high passive scores (the 5th level ranger/fighter in my game has a Passive Perception of 30....not exaggerating).

If I call for an active perception check, and its lower than their passive score, can they automatically use their passive score instead? Aka can an active check actually be lower than a passive score?

Anselm

Adventurer
One question I have about passive skills, since LU can allow for some very high passive scores (the 5th level ranger/fighter in my game has a Passive Perception of 30....not exaggerating).

If I call for an active perception check, and its lower than their passive score, can they automatically use their passive score instead? Aka can an active check actually be lower than a passive score?
Afaik that interpretation is not in the rules anywhere. People are perfectly able to run things that way if they want but doing so always seemed step on the toes of abilities that have a "minimum roll". Eg: human trait resident expert or Reliable Talent in O5E.

I prefer passive skills to give hints in addition to the places they are specifically roled against as a DC. Eg: passive perception is the DC for stealth checks but additionally with a trap noticed by passive perception, the character notices something amiss in the doorway, rather than "there's a trap there!".

Afaik that interpretation is not in the rules anywhere. People are perfectly able to run things that way if they want but doing so always seemed step on the toes of abilities that have a "minimum roll". Eg: human trait resident expert or Reliable Talent in O5E.
actually, in o5e, according to crawford himself, your passive perception IS the floor for your perception (22:20 for the start of passive perception, 23:20 for when he starts explaining it's the floor) - the reasoning seems to be the act of perceiving is something you're always doing, and so it doesn't matter if you roll low, since you're always perceiving, which would also mark it as an exception to most other skills meaning it only sort of steps on the toes of other features. so if a5e is the same in this respect (which...i have no idea if it is), then...yeah that ranger/fighter is seeing into the dreaming lmao

...i'm starting to see why pathfinder 2e separated perception from the rest of the skills. also, good lord, 30 passive perception at level 5? how did he manage that?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
actually, in o5e, according to crawford himself, your passive perception IS the floor for your perception (22:20 for the start of passive perception, 23:20 for when he starts explaining it's the floor) - the reasoning seems to be the act of perceiving is something you're always doing, and so it doesn't matter if you roll low, since you're always perceiving, which would also mark it as an exception to most other skills meaning it only sort of steps on the toes of other features. so if a5e is the same in this respect (which...i have no idea if it is), then...yeah that ranger/fighter is seeing into the dreaming lmao

...i'm starting to see why pathfinder 2e separated perception from the rest of the skills. also, good lord, 30 passive perception at level 5? how did he manage that?

I really, really don't like that ruling.

Also... 30 at level 5? That's just silly.

I really, really don't like that ruling.

Also... 30 at level 5? That's just silly.
honestly my biggest problem with it is that perception is otherwise just a regular skill. if perception were a separate thing (like it is in pathfinder 2e) i wouldn't mind it so much since there is a logic to it, but as is...yeah, it's dumb. i wouldn't be surprised if a5e ignores it.

also yeah, i agree that it's silly, that's why i wanted to know how that ranger/fighter in stalker0's game managed it

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases