Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2 class/build guides?

CapnZapp

Legend
Suddenly occurs to me that, ironically, if you are not looking to multi-class generally that Cantrip Expansion is a bit of a trap option. You will pretty much always be better off getting a Dedication feat for Cleric, Druid, or Wizard than you will just getting Cantrip Expansion if you can afford to start with a 14 in the appropriate stat. I was thinking about this because potentially if you are an Arcane Sorcerer and get Wizard Dedication at level 2 you are getting a two level head start on collecting spells for when you get Arcane Evolution at level 4.
Either you are looking to multi-class, and are planning to get a Dedication feat.... or you don't, so...?

I think a much more generous rephrasing would be Cantrip Expansion is great when you don't want to bother with Dedication feats and their prerequisites, and just want a quick cantrip to enhance your PC's characterization.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Cantrips gained from Dedication feats use the ability score for that class and the spell casting proficiency associated with the tradition.

If a wizard picked up Sorcerer dedication they have to use Charisma for those Cantrips. Luckily Arcane proficiency applies so gains in Arcane proficiency from being a a Wizard would help with DCs and spell attacks.

If a Cleric picks up Druid Dedication they still get to use Wisdom. However those Druid cantrips use Primal spell casting proficiency. Over time their spell attacks and DCs would fall behind. To keep up they need to continue taking spell casting feats.

There is a seperate Proficiency for each tradition.

Kaodi

Hero
There are a number of cantrips with core functions (detect magic, read aura, and shield in particular) for which your proficiency bonus is absolutely meaningless. You use the slots from your dedication to prepare those and keep your primary slots for attack spells.

Gortle

Explorer
Is anybody working on class/build guides for Pathfinder 2? If so, where will they end up? The Character Builds & Optimization subforum here on enworld seems to be only for D&D so I didn't want to post this question there.

Gortle

Explorer
Is anybody working on class/build guides for Pathfinder 2? If so, where will they end up? The Character Builds & Optimization subforum here on enworld seems to be only for D&D so I didn't want to post this question there.

Remove ads