• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.

PF2 Pathfinder 2 vs D&D 5E pagecounts

Morrus

Administrator
Staff member
This is fun. The PF2 core rulebook is 638 pages long, and the equivalent, the PHB+DMG, for 5E is 639 pages. Unless I’m miscounting.

What a weird coincidence! PF2 and 5E are the exact same length!

Last edited:

mewzard

Explorer
538 pages? I thought it was 640 pages. That's what Amazon says.

Still, that's pretty neat if that's the case.

Parmandur

Adventurer
This is fun. The PF2 core rulebook is 638 pages long, and the equivalent, the PHB+DMG, for 5E is 639 pages. Unless I’m miscounting.

Well, same number of Classes, similar number of racial options for. Probably a similar number of spells, magical items, and setting information. Seems legit. How is the page type density in comparison?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

Heh... Just today, as I was reading the hefty PF2 tome, I was thinking that I wished they had separated the GM material in its own book... :D

MockingBird

Explorer
Anyone know why Paizo never separated the material into two books? I always disliked it because players had access to magic items, but I liked it because I only had to buy one book.

Aldarc

Explorer
Anyone know why Paizo never separated the material into two books? I always disliked it because players had access to magic items, but I liked it because I only had to buy one book.
I think that it's because it is precisely so you only have to buy one book.

cbwjm

Explorer
I think putting both phb and dmg into a single book is a great idea. One of my favourite books is the rules cyclopedia in part because it has everything. Of course the rules were much lighter, you wouldn't be able to really do the same with current editions due to the resulting size of the book.

Morrus

Administrator
Staff member
One core book is the standard for RPGs these days. D&D is the outlier, not the standard.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
If D&D sets the standards of having a PHB, a DMG, and a MM as the core books then it is doing a terrible job getting other ttrpgs to follow.
So?

My point was that all those games can do what they want, it doesn't matter.

The reality is that there is no standard. Ttrpgs are too diverse. The closest we get is D&D (at least in America, less so in Europe).

Aldarc

Explorer
So?

My point was that all those games can do what they want, it doesn't matter.

The reality is that there is no standard. Ttrpgs are too diverse. The closest we get is D&D (at least in America, less so in Europe).
And my point is that there is more to TTRPG publishing than D&D, and it would certaintly help if you expanded your horizons past them so you could look past your own nose.

Advertisement