Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2e: Actual Play Experience

And my point was that Paizo overcorrected their wizards. To the point where you are having more fun emulating a martial.
The traditional wizard has been overshadowed by martials and casters trying to be martial lites.

OK. So on the negative side: High-level characters from one class (wizards) are not as much fun.
On the positive side: All martial characters (low and high levels) and all casters who don't want to be "traditional" are more fun.

I'm not going to disagree with you that this is a thing. I'm just happy with it!

OK. So on the negative side: High-level characters from one class (wizards) are not as much fun.
On the positive side: All martial characters (low and high levels) and all casters who don't want to be "traditional" are more fun.

I'm not going to disagree with you that this is a thing. I'm just happy with it!
And that is the problem. They should all be equally fun.

And that is the problem. [All classes at all levels] should all be equally fun.

I'm not as demanding as you, I guess. For me, when I see a product take a step in the direction you are looking for, making eleven classes more equally fun and reducing the fun for one (when played at high levels with a traditional build), I'm happy.

I'm not as demanding as you, I guess. For me, when I see a product take a step in the direction you are looking for, making eleven classes more equally fun and reducing the fun for one (when played at high levels with a traditional build), I'm happy.
It is not too demanding for one to expect equal competency in their classes to play. But to each their own.

zztong

Explorer
This has been your experience in actual play?

I don't know about @Xenonnonex, but I found "blaster" type Wizards did okay, but other variations were lacking. For instance, "buff" spells generally affected fewer people (or just one person) and had short a duration, though sometimes they could be improved if slotted higher, though you don't always want to slot minor spells higher as you know the adventure assumes you put a damage spell up there.

Oddly enough, one of the better Wizard characters we had multiclassed into Fighter, carried a two-handed sword, and was quite effective in melee.

At our table, two people also tried non-blaster Sorcerers and weren't happy. One person tried a Druid and wasn't happy. The Bard was liked and healing-focused Clerics were really effective.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
It's not like PF1 achieved that, either - it /sounds/ like PF2 had moved more classes to the 'fun' side of the line, even if one class has slipped - so a net gain.

Yeah I am really trying to figure out their point when I have never come across any RPG ruleset ever that has every class being balanced and equally competent. Then you toss in the 100% opinionated "fun" label and what they are asking for is impossible.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Yeah I am really trying to figure out their point when I have never come across any RPG ruleset ever that has every class being balanced and equally competent. Then you toss in the 100% opinionated "fun" label and what they are asking for is impossible.
Classes should be apples oranges. And this very difficult to compare. I think in my opinion they need to be good at different things which can make them difficult to compare. The game is more than dpr.

Remove ads