Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E - does it play better than it looks at first glance + guides/resources for new DMs

Thomas Shey

Legend
I do think there is good conversation to be had though. While I may not like the tight math, I do like the system and enjoy talking about it. When I think back to the E-War the best conversations were the ones where the folks that did not like 4E could actually articulate why. It's true, that often meant a subjective perspective, but it leads to diving into discussions on how games should be experienced which is also important. Though, folks get stuck on objective mechanics because its the one thing you can be right about. Also, I totally get folks tired of the game they like being bombed by offensive one-liners. I do my best not to be one of those folks though sometimes get lumped in with them.

Unfortunately, you can get used to critics of a game system mixing hyperbolic statements (or outright misrepresentation) with certain kinds of legitimate critique from a particular perspective, and its easy to start hearing the former when only the latter is going on. I have a distinctly mixed feeling about D&D4e, but there was a lot of responses to it that made me roll my eyes, and I can see why people who actively liked the system would have developed a tic about things that seemed to smack of it.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Ah, that part I was not aware of; I was thinking of using it with the same tables while, effectively, reducing many opponents numbers (and in a way that wouldn't be consistent).
You’re not too far off. The replacement table adjusts the per-creature XP values while keeping the threat tiers the same. Same level is still 40 XP, but the XP values scale over ±7 levels instead of ±4. It probably wouldn’t work if PF2’s math weren’t so tight, but it is, so it does (more or less).

Thomas Shey

Legend
You’re not too far off. The replacement table adjusts the per-creature XP values while keeping the threat tiers the same. Same level is still 40 XP, but the XP values scale over ±7 levels instead of ±4. It probably wouldn’t work if PF2’s math weren’t so tight, but it is, so it does (more or less).

It still sounds like its giving the same answers for somewhat different questions in the modified form, but I'm writing that off now to me probably not properly understanding it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases