Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E's reception?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
So I'm asking here: what's the consensus? Not what you think of PF2E, but how would you characterize the general opinion on it? Positive, negative, divisive?
It’s hard to say. I don’t think Pathfinder 2e has enough mindshare for most people to care one way or another. People who play it seem to really like it. People who really like other systems (5e and PF1 in particular) don’t like it (too complicated or lacks compatibility/options, respectively).

To me it's simple. Why? Not the business why, I get that. But as a gamer why would I care to spend my time reading this to see if I wold be interested? I don't need another rule system, the existing ones serve me just fine. There are tons of settings, what's special about this one? Nothing. To me, there is no draw. No reason.

I suspect lots and lots of people feel that way.

dave2008

Legend
It's a wonderful system, my group loves it
Great to hear, but that is not what the OP asked. He/she asked about the general communities reception, not your personal opinion (including your group's). Now, I am not connected with the Pathfinder community, so I can't really give an answer myself, I just wanted to point out what the OP requested so that if you are connected to the broader PF community you might be able to answer.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Great to hear, but that is not what the OP asked. He/she asked about the general communities reception, not your personal opinion (including your group's). Now, I am not connected with the Pathfinder community, so I can't really give an answer myself, I just wanted to point out what the OP requested so that if you are connected to the broader PF community you might be able to answer.

Calm down, I can read and chose to answer the way I did for a reason.

I count as part of the community and my group is like 10 members I can personally attest to.

I happen to also be active on several forums, including the official ones, and see plenty of old names who seem to be enjoying it. Names I haven't seen since the WOTC forum days in 4e.

I've also had the pleasure of running society at unplugged and gotten to see the reception there as well.

Overall it seems to be a slow burning success.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
My local store is still dominated by 5E games, that I can tell, but there have already been a few games started for P2. I would expect that trend to continue as more material becomes available that scratches itches that 5E does not.

Edit: Granted that if P2 doesn’t take off then I won’t be heart broken. P2 isn’t SUPER inspiring to me in terms of running a game, and 5E matches my play style a little closer I think.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Calm down, I can read and chose to answer the way I did for a reason.
Not upset, just trying to be helpful. :) Not sure why you thought I was upset, but the internet is weird that way. Without visual and audio clues it is hard to discern intent.

I count as part of the community and my group is like 10 members I can personally attest to.

I happen to also be active on several forums, including the official ones, and see plenty of old names who seem to be enjoying it. Names I haven't seen since the WOTC forum days in 4e.

I've also had the pleasure of running society at unplugged and gotten to see the reception there as well.

Overall it seems to be a slow burning success.
Thank you! That seems much more on point and helpful than your original post.

Remove ads