Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder 3PP

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Quick Update: Link

Vic Wertz said:
I actually just finished the first draft last night, and it's now circulating for comment from folks around the office. Erik was being optimistic with the "couple of paragraphs" notion—I've written in layman's English, and our lawyer will be responsible for translating it to legalese, but it's currently about 1500 words. I basically looked at a bunch of other OGL-derived licenses, and worked with the goal of being slightly friendlier than those as much as possible, while still protecting our interests, as well as the interests of Pathfinder RPG players. The licenses that were the most influential were Grey Ghost's Fudge System Trademark License and Green Ronin's True20 Adventure Roleplaying Trademark License.

Vic Wertz said:
The license I'm talking about covers printed books and electronic books only. We've started talking about website policies, but they're not even to the draft stage yet. As for software, we want you to negotiate separately with us (because there's a big difference between say, an online character generator and an MMORPG, so it would be unwise of us to place them under the same blanket license). In fact, we've already been talking to a few prospective software licensees.

Of course, there's still a lot that can be done under the OGL and under fair use.

He mentions a bit later about how they are talking to potential online chargenerators and not MMORPGs.

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I should have noted that my "couple paragraphs of legal text" estimate was for what other publishers would be required to include in their products, not what they'd be required to agree to. That will be a little longer, but it will not be onerous and it will be free.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I should have noted that my "couple paragraphs of legal text" estimate was for what other publishers would be required to include in their products, not what they'd be required to agree to. That will be a little longer, but it will not be onerous and it will be free.

Do you have any examples of the requirements, Erik? Or is it still too early to release and specific information?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
It's still too early to release formal details (especially with a large part of the staff still at Origins), but here are a few I remember off the top of my head:

1) You've got to use the compatibility logo.
2) The product actually has to be compatible with the Pathfinder RPG.
3) The license will go live with the release of the actual game at Gen Con 2009 (other publishers can have stuff out at the same time).
4) You'll have to read and agree to a web form that explains the terms before you can use the logo.
5) We'll send certain folks copies of the final rules when they go to the printer so that they have time to get stuff ready for August.
6) It'll be free.
7) We'll ask you to send us the products that feature the logo.

That's all I can remember for now. We're having our lawyer look at the "layman's terms" contract we drew up, but that's some info on the current draft of our thoughts.

--Erik

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
3) The license will go live with the release of the actual game at Gen Con 2009 (other publishers can have stuff out at the same time).

Erik, I'll definitely be releasing something ahead of that time because of my "rules background" and positioning along legitimately divergent rules differences.

This is not to say that I am quibbling with your decision-- it makes perfect sense. Please don't misunderstand me.

But my question is, if I release something "merely" OGL compatible, can I update the work in '09 with the compatibility logo?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
But my question is, if I release something "merely" OGL compatible, can I update the work in '09 with the compatibility logo?

Do you mean like release an OGL version and then a year from now release a "Pathfinder" version that just happens to look/be identical in all other ways?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Do you mean like release an OGL version and then a year from now release a "Pathfinder" version that just happens to look/be identical in all other ways?

Well, I don't anticipate that that is the actual likely scenario (some updates improvements are likely) but for the sake of argument, let's just say: Yes.

Remove ads