• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview

Shisumo

First Post
Ironically, it looks like there isn't anything in the new stuff that's half as much fun to argue about as sorcerer bonus spells known. ;)

Alternate favored class bonuses aside (though, honestly, I'd much rather complain about how bad the elven wizard bonus is, and how much of an auto-take the gnome bard one is), it's the alternate class builds mentioned in today's preview that I'm most excited about. Several classic archetypes - and some former 3.5 PrCs, too - finally getting some Pathfinder crunch! It's like Christmas in August!

Reprinting from the Paizo thread, here's the Big List o' Class Variants in the APG:

Barbarian: Breaker, Brutal Pugilist, Drunken Brute, Elemental Kin, Hurler, Invulnerable Rager, Mounted Fury, Savage Barbarian, Superstitious, Totem Warrior
AND new rage powers
Bard: Arcane Duelist, Archivist, Court Bard, Detective, Magician, Sandman, Savage Skald, Sea Singer, Street Performer
Cleric: Subdomains*
Druid: Aquatic Druid, Arctic Druid, Blight Druid, Cave Druid, Desert Druid, Jungle Druid, Mountain Druid, Plains Druid, Swamp Druid, Urban Druid.
OR
Bear Shaman, Eagle Shaman, Lion Shaman, Serpent Shaman, Wolf Shaman
Fighter: Archer, Crossbowman, Freehand Fighter, Mobile Fighter, Phalanx Soldier, Polearm Master, Roughrider, Savage Warrior, Shielded Fighter, Two Handed Fighter, Two Weapon Warrior, Weapon Master
Monk: Drunken Master, Hungry Ghost Monk, Ki Mystic, Monk of the Empty Hand, Monk of the Four Winds, Monk of the Healing Hand, Monk of the Lotus, Monk of the Sacred Mountain, Weapon Adept, Zen Archer
Paladin: Divine Defender, Hospitaler, Sacred Servant, Shining Knight, Undead Scourge, Warrior of the Holy Light
OR
Antipaladin
Ranger: Beast Master, Guide, Horse Lord, Infiltrator, Shapeshifter, Skirmisher, Spirit Ranger, Urban Ranger
AND new combat styles
Rogue: Acrobat, Burglar, Cutpurse, Investigator, Poisoner, Rake, Scout, Sniper, Spy, Swashbuckler, Thug, Trapsmith
AND new rogue talents and advanced talents.
Sorceror: Aquatic Bloodline, Boreal Bloodline, Deepearth Bloodline, Dreamspun Bloodline, Protean Bloodline, Serpentine Bloodline, Shadow Bloodline, Stormborn Bloodline, Verdant Bloodline
Wizard: Elemental Schools and Focused Schools

*subdomains are domain variants - i.e., "Fate" instead of "Luck" - that can be taken in place of the regular domain for clerics of gods who offer the regular domain. Each modifies the domain spells and changes one of the granted powers of the regular domain.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It makes me so happy to see that so many of these archetypes are being done in the form of a small collection of alternate class abilities, rather than prestige classes. To me that, more than anything else, fights bloat.

Shisumo

First Post
It makes me so happy to see that so many of these archetypes are being done in the form of a small collection of alternate class abilities, rather than prestige classes. To me that, more than anything else, fights bloat.
If the expected Asian-style fantasy book comes out next year as Paizo is planning, I an hoping/assuming that the APG's archetypes mechanics will serve as the baseline for samurai fighter variants, ninja rogue variants, wushi wizard variants, and so on... that way we won't have to suffer through the endless "I want a samurai class!"/"samurai are just another fighter!" arguments that seem to spawn from every discussion about Oriental Adventures 3.PF....

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
If there wasn't already enough to sell me on this product elemental schools would do it. I haven't seen an elementalist that I liked since 2e.

Agreed

I liked the latest preview too. I'm really glad that Paizo is deemphasizing prestige classes in favor of alternate class features. Hopefully it will elmininate the necessity of character 'builds' in favor of a more organic process.

Ken

IronWolf

blank
I'm really glad that Paizo is deemphasizing prestige classes in favor of alternate class features. Hopefully it will elmininate the necessity of character 'builds' in favor of a more organic process.

I agree. The alternate class features seems like a good way to go and help folks mold their character the way they want from the start.

redboxrazor

First Post
I'm certainly excited about the information in the newest preview. What an effective way to add a whole breadth of interesting options while promoting character development at the same time.

Detective? Antipaladin? Awesome! : )

Shisumo

First Post
Kinda bummed that there's no unarmed strike fighter build, at least not apparently so. Maybe there will be some love for that build in the feats...

Remove ads