Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

Shroomy

Adventurer
I purchased Dragon and Dungeon magazines from various stores (mainly Borders since they always had them out earlier than everyone else). I started buying the first Pathfinder AP and the various Gamemastery adventures, but stopped both purchases at the time Issue 6 came out. I switched to 4e and felt that I didn't need anymore 3.5e products (I already had more than enough to last me for years).

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, Paizo makes my favorite adventures. Not because of being full color, not because of glossy paper, not because of cool maps and art (even though it certainly adds value), but because of simply good adventures with hooks that add a lot of depth to the story/plot when used, and just the right depth of background details.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Interesting thread, folks. Thanks much for posting your thoughts, positive and negative. We certainly appreciate all of the support, both current and former, and we're always interested in ways we can improve our products to make them more appealing.

For the record, we're thrilled with the sales and subscription numbers for Pathfinder, though we'd always love them to be higher!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Online 4e conversion notes for AP's that go out of print (hardcopy obviously.) Full conversions with the 3e material removed and replaced as appropriate with changes in the maps where warranted with level appropriate foes and situational modifiers used for the environments that users are fighting in.

Be a quick way to get me to sub again.

ggroy

First Post
Online 4e conversion notes for AP's that go out of print (hardcopy obviously.) Full conversions with the 3e material removed and replaced as appropriate with changes in the maps where warranted with level appropriate foes and situational modifiers used for the environments that users are fighting in.

For my 4E game using the Paizo AP's, I just use the rules for creating encounters on the fly from the 4E DM guide while looking at the original 3.5E encounters as a rough guideline. I also slightly tweak the encounters on the fly so that it is appropriate for the level of the players. Not every encounter converts perfectly in a 1-to-1 manner, but most players aren't going to notice much of a difference unless there's a very extreme underpowering or overpowering of a particular original encounter.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Paizo is pretty much my one and only these days. I enjoy getting a fairly steady stream of RPG stuff from them. A subscription means I sometimes end up with things I might not use, but on the other hand it means free PDFs of my subscription items, which is very handy.

ggroy

First Post
(I don't know if Mr. Mona or other Paizo people are willing to confirm or deny this).

I'm under the impression that Paizo is taking the approach of designing their adventures and setting products from scratch under the guise of "what TSR/WotC could or should have done" during the 2nd ed AD&D and 3E/3.5E D&D eras, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and competent management.

Imagine if WotC remained an independent company without the corporate greed (ie. Hasbro), or for that matter, TSR actually having competent management back in the early-mid 1990's.

Be a quick way to get me to sub again.

A few note here. Paizo has said a few times 4e conversions will not happen. Mostly do to lack of knowledge of the rules and lack of manpower. What your asking would task almost doubling of staff size or dropping a few monthly/bi-monthly products to just pull off

JoeGKushner

First Post
A few note here. Paizo has said a few times 4e conversions will not happen. Mostly do to lack of knowledge of the rules and lack of manpower. What your asking would task almost doubling of staff size or dropping a few monthly/bi-monthly products to just pull off

Oh I know it's not going to happen but if they wanted to expand the base.. that's the only way the APs are going to get my money.

As I noted above, I still buy the classic monsters revisited. Some great role playing/background/fluff there that makes up for the massive lack of it in the WoTC products.

Heck, looking at those products, they'd make perfect candidates for 4e conversion due to the lack of actual game mechanics in them.

ggroy

First Post
As I noted above, I still buy the classic monsters revisited. Some great role playing/background/fluff there that makes up for the massive lack of it in the WoTC products.

Heck, looking at those products, they'd make perfect candidates for 4e conversion due to the lack of actual game mechanics in them.

Why would these products need a 4E conversion in the first place if there's very little to no game mechanics in them?

For example, do you mean that "classic monsters revisited" can be rewritten with actual monster statistics in the 4E style and format?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Why would these products need a 4E conversion in the first place if there's very little to no game mechanics in them?

For example, do you mean that "classic monsters revisited" can be rewritten with actual monster statistics in the 4E style and format?

Bingo.

And why do it?

As strange as it may seem, there are a lot of people who won't touch a product that they COULD use with little difficulty if it's not for their game system. I'm not one of those on certain types of books like sourcebooks. (Adventures on the other hand... I generally tend to avoid.)

Stamping it 4e could expand the product base. Now, wither it could expand it enough to justify antoher print run of a different product, that's another question that I don't know the answer too.

Remove ads