Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I buy every PDF that Paizo produces even though I am running 4E and unlikely to change.

The only reason I stopped subscribing was that the postage costs increased and it made no sense to subscribe. However, if the postage costs drop again then I would subscribe to all of their lines.

I just wish there was a PDF subscription option for overseas customers.

delericho

Legend
I rolled my Dragon/Dungeon subscriptions over to Pathfinder, and am still a subscriber. However, I am now thinking of letting it lapse, for three reasons:

1) While I like Pathifnder, it isn't "better enough" to compel me to switch from 3.5e and relearn the changed rules.

2) I have enough Adventure Paths to last me a lifetime.

3) My group(s) tend to do better with homebrew adventures anyway - one group meets too irregularly for an AP to really 'fit', while the other meets for short sessions that demand bite-size chunks.

The Pathfinder Adventure Path product is a really great offering, and Paizo are a really great company, but it's just not quite what I need right now.

Carpe DM

First Post
I do not subscribe, but that is only because APs have more awesome content than my group can consume.

I've ended up running straight or re-skinned versions of four APs (Savage Tide, Crimson Throne, Runelords, and Second Darkness) and am playing in a fifth (Legacy of Fire).

I buy the books on an as-needed basis because even with the extra cost it's cheaper than a subscription, given that we can't keep up.

Xorial

First Post
I recently became a subscriber to the APs, mainly because of the new Kingmaker series. Received my first one and it is IMHO the best adventure series I have ever read, so far. I have read some of the earlier APs & liked what I saw. I am also a longtime gamer (since 1984) and am very unhappy with the direction WotC took 4e. Paizo has taken the game the direction I like, so that is were my money goes now. Of the WotC 3.5 material, I still have hopes of working in a Red Hand of Doom campaign some day. I also have looked to convert the 4e follow up AP to PFRPG. I don't bash 4e or WotC. They just went away from my gaming interests.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I was a hardcore Dungeon fan, since issue #1. Most of those I bought in the store, but towards the last three years or so Dungeon was in print, I subscribed. I let it roll over in to AP, but did not renew.

Principal reason was that I am in Canada and the extra costs for shipping the APs to Canada made it far less attractive to subscribe.

As well, I was running Age of Worms at the time and expected to run Savage Tide as well. WotC's cancellation of Dungeon as a print publication absolutely infuriated me at the time (No. I'm still not really over it, tbh). When my AoW campaign died ignominiously around Part 8 (in retrospect, the introduction of the Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium killed my Age of Worms campaign) I just got ticked about the Whole Damn Thing and stopped playing RPGs for a while.

I'm back with running a Star Wars: Saga Edition campaign and I expect that will run its course over the next 12-18 months.

I'm playing Pathfinder now, not running it. In 12-18 months, I expect that will change and I'll go back to running a FRPG -- far more likely than not to be Pathfinder -- and I'll pick up an AP at that time.

Unless of course Paizo decides to get in to the Star Wars RPG license sweepstakes. Given Lisa Stevens' experience with the Star Wars setting and fan community - she knows better than anyone how to make it work.

If Paizo goes in that direction, I'm in to whatever that will be (probably a SW:TOR tie-in) with both feet :)

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

My group hasn't subscribed, but we have bought the first three in the Second Darkness Adventure Path. We intend to buy the ones we use. We don't play at a fast enough pace to subscribe to an adventure path. So we buy them as we need them.

How come no option for that model?

We've never subscribed, but we know what the Adventure Paths are and we use them.

Darkwolf71

First Post
I collected Dungeon magazine from issue #1,I had finally subscribed to Dungeon & Dragon both just two months before Paizo lost the licenses for the magazines. I let it roll over to the APs and love them. I've been subscribed ever since and am very happy with them.

Torpedo

First Post
I subscribed to Dragon and Dungeon throughout the entirety of the 3.X era. I rolled my subscriptions over into the Pathfinder Adventure Path because I enjoyed Paizo's adventures both in terms of quality and style.

I've considered unsubscribing due to money being tight, but I have not and am glad that I'm still a subscriber. At first I thought I'd quit when Paizo made the transition from 3.5 to Pathfinder rpg. But I was intrigued by a city-based adventure path and decided to give "Council of Thieves" a try. The switch in rules is minor and not that much of an obstacle. I still thought I'd quit after "Council of Thieves" ended, but then I got word about "The Serpent's Skull" adventure path. Snakemen are one of my favorite fantasy / sword & sorcery elements. So I decided I'd wait through the intervening "Kingmaker" adventure path to get to the one I really want.

The first issue of "Kingmaker" arrived today and it is amazing. Paizo continues to improve on their already high quality adventures.

And if awesome adventures aren't enough to convince customers, Paizo's Pathfinder Advantage discount at their online store has been another reason I've maintained my subscription.

To sum up, I highly recommend the Pathfinder Adventure Path.

D.M.T.

First Post
I had subscriptions on and off to both Dungeon and Dragon dating back to about 1991. Didn't happen to be subscribed at the time Paizo's reign ended (though I was buying every issue of both on the newsstand).
When Pathfinder #1 was announced I subscribed to it, and kept it going thru the end of the first path (issues #1 thru #6) but then canceled due to tight money issues. Recently re-subscribed with the begining of "Council of Thieves" AP and still going strong.
Also, have gone back and am filling in my collection of Pathfinder issues I missed while I was away.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Paizo FTW

I came on board when I decided to give Council of Thieves a shot. I found that buying the print issues was much cheaper than picking up the PDF and printing it in segments. The ink and PDF cost was much higher than the subscription price that includes the PDF for free. So now I have both options.

The game is going very well!

Pros: The story is rich and consistent which helps immerse the players into the campaign world. The pace is really well thought out. Each book lasting approximately 4-6 sessions and allows you to stay with the path. I like to throw lots of extra bits into my campaign, so I tend to fall closer to 6 sessions per book. The trick here is to enjoy each session, don't try to rush through. Saver the story. My players have all been having a really good time!

Cons: The books average around 100 pages each, so they have a lot of details to cram into a small space. This leads to lengthy columns of text where the details are packed in. It pays to do your homework and make good use of a highlighter and margin notes.

Final opinion: I am a fan! I really like what the company has done for our games. The products are high quality, the customer support is A+. The comunity is strong and filled with the best heads in the game. I think that Pathfinder is going to explode in the coming years. I just wish they were located in the east coast!

Remove ads