• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

czak

First Post
Now as someone who plays a lot of online gaming, mainly via Yahoogroups, what is people's opinion of hte number of Pathfinder games that will be opening up/being run after Gencon? Because for me that is a big deal maker or breaker. I like Deadlands and star wars, but finding games like that is nearly impossible, so I do not play those systems, though I have some rulebooks. I do not want Pathfinder to be a game system I like, but cannot find players for.

I hope hey will be successful, but they need to be successful enough to have a good pool of online players, to attract me.

There seems to be some interest from paizo staff in supporting Virtual table top play / play by post games.

paizo.com - Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / General Discussion / Maps, and Pathfinder (look for posts by james jacobs and cory macourek (one of their cartographers).

If they can get good vtt support to go with the fact you can purchase pdfs of their products + all the community use artwork they have released, I'd say there will be a good number of online games available.

Looking at the play by post section of the paizo boards would be a good idea too.

I resubscribed to Dungeon and Dragon just before they were cancelled. I continued subscribing to Pathfinder for the Rise of the Runelords AP but cancelled after that.

My reasons for cancelling were mainly due to having a more 3.xE adventures than I could poke a stick at at that point. I have all the Dungeon magazines from about issue 90 onwards, most of the of Necromancer Games adventures, quite a few Goodman Games DCC's, a number of other Paizo adventures, as well as the RotRL AP.

Considering that I've been running my group through the Shackled City AP for well over a year now and we're not even halfway through it, I think I'll be set for quite a while.

Unfortunately I can only play once a fortnight (work, wife and child keep me busy) so it takes us a while to complete adventures. I want to run both the Age of Worms and RotRL AP's. They'll probably take 3-4 years between them to finish. The Legacy of Fire AP also looks interesting.

With a whole new AP coming out every 6 months I just can't keep up. And $20 a month (which was more like $30 Australian) for something which I may never get to actually use was just becoming to big a cost to bear.

I really like the AP's and I will still buy some if they take my interest. 2 complete AP's a year is just too much for me to subscribe to though.

Olaf the Stout

Now as someone who plays a lot of online gaming, mainly via Yahoogroups, what is people's opinion of hte number of Pathfinder games that will be opening up/being run after Gencon? Because for me that is a big deal maker or breaker. I like Deadlands and star wars, but finding games like that is nearly impossible, so I do not play those systems, though I have some rulebooks. I do not want Pathfinder to be a game system I like, but cannot find players for.

I hope hey will be successful, but they need to be successful enough to have a good pool of online players, to attract me.
I think there is a fair chance that people online and interested in 3.x will also be interested in giving Pathfinder a try. If you are a little proactive* with any online gaming groups you already have, you should be able to find people.

*) Offering an existing group to run a sample game, or a fully fledged campaign, for example.

dm4hire

Explorer
The members of Paizo's staff have often stressed that the original intention of creating the PfRPG was to provide a core book for those buying their modules who didn't have access to 3.x books. Their updating the 3.x core is also an attempt to give players the desired changes they wanted to see happen. Whether they're the changes that everyone wants to see will always be a subject of debate, as it comes down to individual tastes which we will never see 100% agreement.

I think as far as the APs go, Paizo has had pretty good success at least judging by the growing space at my FLGS. PF is constantly being sold at my FLGS and as soon as one product disappears it reappears a week or two later, attesting to the availability of its supply which is important as well as my FLGS belief they will sell more of it.

I run a local gaming group that focuses on RPGA and Open Gaming events. Last year we couldn't get a Pathfinder event to run due to lack of players. This year we have at least one table every time we play and seem to be drawing more people in the closer we get to the final. A lot of players stated they didn't want to play until the final is out as they didn't want to convert from 3.5 to PF (Pathfinder Society currently uses 3.5 rules), which I can accept.

As far as their survival goes. The thing to remember is that they don't have to capture the whole market. They just need to draw as many people to buy products as they need to turn a profit and keep doing what they do best; which is make modules. I think Paizo has nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
But it sounds like your answer is to hope that people naturally find Pathfinder after starting with 4E (in the future that is). That's certainly one answer...I just hope for the future of Paizo that they have some sort of plan to make that transition easier. I want to make something clear: even though Pathfinder is not my game, the folks behind it are some of the nicest folks in the industry, so I wish them well.

Step 1 is getting a core book in print and available throughout all chains of distribution, from game stores to big box and independent bookstores to comic book stores. That may sound like easy work, but it's taken Paizo 3 years just to get all of its ducks in a row in this regard, and I would hazard the vast majority of companies in the industry never ever pull it off. We have managed it so far, and that's the most important first step. If you can't do this, you cannot pull this off.

Step 2 (which started over a year ago) is to build a massive shared-world organized play campaign, with thousands of gamers invested and interested in checking out what will become the official rules in about three months. This gamer network influences local gamers around the world through word of mouth, and attracts gamers to the Pathfinder brand. As you point out, long term major success involves convincing non-gamers to give us a try, but there is significantly lower-hanging fruit than that, and we have a lot of ground to cover before we start advertising on SyFy or in Maxim. Things are looking up here.

Once Steps 1 and 2 are on solid and sustainable footing, then we'll get the girlfriends and the nerd-friendly buddies and the kids and stuff.

I assume that "brand new" gamers will most likely come to the RPG hobby--to say nothing of the Pathfinder RPG itself--through Dungeons & Dragons. The brand has remarkable penetration even in the general public, on the order of something like Starbucks or even Coke. It is a Big Deal, and at many game stores and book stores, it is the Only Deal.

It is our hope and expectation that new gamers who tire of Dungeons & Dragons but don't want to move away from the genre of heroic fantasy will give Pathfinder a shot. The Pathfinder Society and to some degree even the Open Playtest help to place the Pathfinder RPG as a logical "next step" for gamers looking for something new.

Launching a successful RPG is an uncertain prospect, and it's a lot more complicated than immediately shooting for the mainstream non-gamer audience.

A lot of Pathfinder skeptics or just plain old douchebags have posted to the effect of "there are five game groups in my area, and none of them have ever even HEARD of Paizo." If this is true (and I'm certain some version of it is), that's a HELL of a lot of potential Pathfinder players who are a LOT easier to reach than your neighbor who has never ever played an RPG.

--Erik

dm4hire

Explorer
If this is true (and I'm certain some version of it is), that's a HELL of a lot of potential Pathfinder players who are a LOT easier to reach than your neighbor who has never ever played an RPG.

--Erik

QFT!

It is always easier to get a gamer to play something new than to get a bunch of non-gamers to play anything. Whether it is a cardgame, boardgame, role-playing, or whatever, unless it is tied to something they are obsessed about (pick major IP TV/Movie) most non-gamers won't even give you the time of day when trying to get them to play.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I'm guessing the the long term viability of the brand will be the same as GURPS, HERO System, Mutants & Masterminds, Savage Worlds, and many MANY other RPG's that dont have the D&D brand name on them.

Do you have any numbers or is this just speculation? :)

I think that is the fate of PF myself. a small core group of rabid fans, but not a wide following. Too bad, I really like Deadlands and Star Wars. Ce la Vie

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think there is a fair chance that people online and interested in 3.x will also be interested in giving Pathfinder a try. If you are a little proactive* with any online gaming groups you already have, you should be able to find people.

*) Offering an existing group to run a sample game, or a fully fledged campaign, for example.

It is not a challenge at all to run a game in a system, the hard part is playing in the system. I already DM more than I like. I just wish I had a split personality so I could play in my own games.

It is not a challenge at all to run a game in a system, the hard part is playing in the system. I already DM more than I like. I just wish I had a split personality so I could play in my own games.
Well, then you need a game that is easy to run so to attract others people to do it, too.

I would have loved to play in an Arcana Evolved or an Iron Heroes campaign, too. :(

ggroy

First Post
A lot of Pathfinder skeptics or just plain old douchebags have posted to the effect of "there are five game groups in my area, and none of them have ever even HEARD of Paizo." If this is true (and I'm certain some version of it is), that's a HELL of a lot of potential Pathfinder players who are a LOT easier to reach than your neighbor who has never ever played an RPG.

--Erik

I'll be buying the Pathfinder core books later this August, though I don't think I'll be playing PfRPG anytime soon. So far my regular gaming group is fine with playing a "sandbox" 4E D&D game using various modules, sections of AP's, etc ... from Paizo, Goodman, WotC, older issues of Dungeon, etc ...

At this point I haven't really found anyone else locally (yet) who is interested in playing PfRPG. Though if and when we get sick of playing 4E, we may move on to another system. (We've been playing 4E since Keep on the Shadowfell was released, using the quick start rules at first).

Last edited:

Remove ads