• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

IanB

First Post
I let it expire. I'm not playing 3.5 anymore, I don't really have an interest in playing 3.5 anymore, so it was just wasted money, and I had already been pretty dissatisfied with Paizo stuff for a few other reasons.

EATherrian

First Post
I'm the weird man out here. I play 4E, but only buy Paizo products. Not sure I'll ever run them, but they fulfill my thirst for well-written adventures and campaign background. Paizo brought me back into the fold when they released the four Greyhawk poster maps. That act of gracious beauty made me re-up my lapsed subscriptions and the knowledge that I sync well with them in play style will mean they'll always get my business. I'm a sentimentalist I guess.

IanB

First Post
I'm the weird man out here. I play 4E, but only buy Paizo products. Not sure I'll ever run them, but they fulfill my thirst for well-written adventures and campaign background. Paizo brought me back into the fold when they released the four Greyhawk poster maps. That act of gracious beauty made me re-up my lapsed subscriptions and the knowledge that I sync well with them in play style will mean they'll always get my business. I'm a sentimentalist I guess.

Yeah I still have and love the Greyhawk maps and I carry a large amount of goodwill towards Erik for all his work on that setting over the years. For me the peak of quality was Age of Worms, but some decisions were made to run stuff after that (particularly in Savage Tide, but also a couple articles and other adventures) that just combined to drive me away.

Storminator

First Post
Paizo brought me back into the fold when they released the four Greyhawk poster maps. That act of gracious beauty made me re-up my lapsed subscriptions and the knowledge that I sync well with them in play style will mean they'll always get my business. I'm a sentimentalist I guess.

I have the 4 part FR map on my wall. I've rarely played in Greyhawk (except for my early days when our campaign was just an endless string of modules tenuously set in Greyhawk). So when I got the GH map I packed it up and sent it to a Greyhawk fan that wasn't into 3e, and therefore never even knew that map was published. Nothing like getting surprised by your favorite RPG stuff in the mail!

PS

EATherrian

First Post
I have the 4 part FR map on my wall. I've rarely played in Greyhawk (except for my early days when our campaign was just an endless string of modules tenuously set in Greyhawk). So when I got the GH map I packed it up and sent it to a Greyhawk fan that wasn't into 3e, and therefore never even knew that map was published. Nothing like getting surprised by your favorite RPG stuff in the mail!

PS

You're an awesome friend! The thing with those maps is that Greyhawk had been through a long, ignoble phase and seeing those just brought it back.

drscott46

First Post
:D I'd be happy to give pointers to anyone doing conversion work, or explain why I made certain design choices during my own conversion process.

And by the way, mad praise for the conversion work you've done so far. This project has helped me cope with the heartbreaking sadness of having the best third party RPG publisher in existence opt against supporting my edition of choice.

Dannager

First Post
And by the way, mad praise for the conversion work you've done so far. This project has helped me cope with the heartbreaking sadness of having the best third party RPG publisher in existence opt against supporting my edition of choice.
Haha, I wonder if working on the conversion is my way of coping.

In any case, thank you!

Nikmal

First Post
Honestly, the fact that you felt the need to respond as you responded kinda proves my point. Nobody mentioned hate. But you took it as an accusation, felt the need to go on the defensive, and bashed 4e fans and WOTC. Paizo fans seem to react like you reacted on a disproportionate basis. It's definitely not all of them, but it's too many of them for my tastes. It creates an inherent barrier to buying the game products.

Why would I want to buy a product which is often (but not always) supported by people who apparently automatically and instinctively feel the need to bash others? Why would I want to walk that mine field?

I have to say I have been playing since 1974 and D&D has always been part of my life since then. Now that WotC has gone a different path with 4E is something that tends to upset me to say the least. Why would WotC go the route they did, it seems like they are dumbing the game down and make it so simple that any one can play. Now I am NOT saying that the game is dumb or only for dumb people. It is just that WotC is seemingly making the game more like an MMO then an RPG.

I always thought that the computer gaming industry was supposed to base their games off of the RPG industry and not the other way around. MMO's are excellent fun.. but not as an RPG.

Now that Paizo has done what they have with with Pathfinder and keeping the traditional game up with 3.5e... I will no longer purchase anything by WotC and this saddens me greatly.

I am NOT giving anyone a hard time nor am I saying that WotC is bad for doing this... but I wish that they had not done 4E at all. I have ALWAYS bought every edition of D&D that has come out since the start. I own almost every single thing that WotC/TSR has produced until 4E.. I guess all good things will come to an end and this is the end of me purchasing anything by WotC again unless they pull 4E out and bring back the older edition's or at least something similar instead of the radical change that they have done.

Lets face it.. we all have our opinions and no ones should be better or worse then another's. We all have the right to complain about another company or even the one we like.Paizo went the way I was hoping D&D was going to go.. and WotC did not. Do I hate WotC for doing that.. no not at all.. just will not give them my money any more. Though I have to say I am upset with WotC though about bringing Dark Sun back when they refused to do it with 3.0 or 3.5.. now that ticks me off!!!!!

Last edited:

Renfield

First Post
I was a subscriber to Dungeon and Dragon. Loved the Age of Worms AP and made sure to stick through the Savage Tide one (though a hiccup between subscriptions meant I didn't have all the Savage Tide Dragon magazines :-( ). I wasn't too keen on how WotC handled the cancellation of the print version of the magazines and while I never really thought Paizo did too well with Crunch I really liked how they made their adventure paths. They just seemed to have more flavor, depth and maturity than those Wizards put out. Not to bash WotC, they've admitted their adventures tend to be more casual and PG-PG13, though the only one I thought was truly any good was Red Hand of Doom and some of their Expedition series (loved the story behind the Forgotten Realms Expedition trilogy but the execution had too many flaws).

Still a subscriber to this day.

Dimitris

First Post
I was not a subscriber of the magazines and I am not a subscriber of the Adventure Paths. I just feel better to buy them from a local store.

But, I buy every issue of PAIZO's AP, Chronicles, Companion and most of the modules. I like their products very much and I am happy to support the company. As Nikmal said "Paizo went the way I was hoping D&D was going to go".

Remove ads