Savage Pathfinder Pathfinder Adventure Paths Are Coming To Savage Worlds!

Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that it will be bringing Paizo's Pathfinder adventurer paths to Savage Worlds, starting with Rise of the Runelords. They will be launching a Kickstarter in January 2021.

The Kickstarter includes a core ruleset called Savage Pathfinder, and a Rise of the Runelords boxed set.

127243145_3902632729770774_8928856243244391689_n.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

It’s Thanksgiving here in the United States. For our international friends, that’s a time when we come together as friends and family and tell everyone what we’re thankful for.

Today, Pinnacle Entertainment Group is INCREDIBLY thankful to our good friends at Paizo for letting us play in their amazing world of Golarion, setting of the phenomenally successful Pathfinder Roleplaying Game!

Following the incredible reception we had with Kevin Siembieda’s phenomenal world of Rifts®, we’re bringing Pathfinder’s fantastic Adventure Paths to the Savage Worlds™ system, starting with the best-selling Rise of the Runelords™!

The Kickstarter begins mid-January, 2021, and will feature the Savage Pathfinder core rules, a boxed set with all the usual Savage Worlds accessories, AND the Rise of the Runelords boxed set with all six books of the Adventure Path and other deluxe accessories!

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Not that I'm seeing. Maybe I need to look elsewhere besides the Paizo site? And the PF2 FB group doesn't have much actual play going on. Everything is theoretical character build stuff, not actual playing the game.

Hi, I'm Retreater. ;)

We didn't hate it, to be fair. I think I disliked the experience of running it for that specific group of players, of that specific Adventure Path, on that specific Virtual Table Top. Get me a group of players who aren't rules-lawyers and aren't actively trying to "break" the system and make other players feel like crap with misogynistic attitudes. Get me an AP that is well designed or let me make my own material. Get me on a VTT that actually supports PF2 - or at least let me play in person. With all those factors, and well-rested at the end of the pandemic, maybe I can run it okay. But when a game doesn't work for me in the current environment, that tells me maybe it's not the best fit in general.
PF2 seems like it would benefit better by playing it in person on tables you can toss dice onto than VTT.

Retreater

Legend
PF2 seems like it would benefit better by playing it in person on tables you can toss dice onto than VTT.
I agree. We started the campaign in person, then had to shift to Roll20 (the only option that worked with everyone's technology) at the start of the pandemic. The absence of Age of Ashes from the Roll20 marketplace meant I was putting in maps, inputting monsters and NPCs - a very time intensive job. The other thing meant it afforded less chance to run "off the cuff" encounters or modify things on the fly.
The character creator on Roll20 is also not up to snuff and the character sheet automation has some real issues that add a further level of complexity to an already highly complex game.
And I don't know what the future of gaming in person is going to look like, even after all this is over. My local gaming meta is that people like D&D here - other systems tend to fizzle after a few sessions (Savage Rifts, Numenera, Savage Worlds fantasy, 4e, WHFRPG) or after the conclusion of a specific campaign (FFG Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu).
So if I want to play or GM PF2 (or anything else not D&D), it would seem the online route is the only way.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
roll20’s support for PF2 is terrible. It’s just about the minimum you’d want to be able to sell PF2 material on the market place. Other VTTs have much better support. Foundry, for example, is very good (in spite of being community-supported). You can even unlock adventure content using your Paizo-bought PDFs.

With that said, we ran PF2 for over a year. Now I’m putting out feelers to switch to OSE. The kind of game I run already tends old-school (being a *crawl sandbox). There are some things I don’t like about PF2, but I saw I was tending towards some of the same structures I used to run PF1, and I don’t want to go there again.

Now, this Savage Worlds announcement is interesting. My initial take was like others where it seemed to speak to a loss of confidence in PF2, but I’m not really sure about that. It could also be that this is another way to diversify revenue sources without accidentally cannibalizing PF2 sales (by making it easier to stick with 5e by supporting it with adventures).

Retreater

Legend
roll20’s support for PF2 is terrible. It’s just about the minimum you’d want to be able to sell PF2 material on the market place. Other VTTs have much better support. Foundry, for example, is very good (in spite of being community-supported). You can even unlock adventure content using your Paizo-bought PDFs.
I can attest to this. PF2 on Roll20 was a terrible experience, likely compounding my frustration with the game system.
I don't know if the "do it yourself" method on Foundry will be better - because I'm not very savvy with technology (and Fantasy Grounds is already testing my capabilities), but it's worth a look. Especially since I have a lot of adventure content with PDFs - so thanks for the heads up there!

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I can attest to this. PF2 on Roll20 was a terrible experience, likely compounding my frustration with the game system.
I don't know if the "do it yourself" method on Foundry will be better - because I'm not very savvy with technology (and Fantasy Grounds is already testing my capabilities), but it's worth a look. Especially since I have a lot of adventure content with PDFs - so thanks for the heads up there!
I self-host, but you don’t have to do that. Aside from using the desktop app, which lets you host the game on your computer, there are official partners who run the server for you. You just need to provide the license and pay their service fees.

Retreater

Legend
I self-host, but you don’t have to do that. Aside from using the desktop app, which lets you host the game on your computer, there are official partners who run the server for you. You just need to provide the license and pay their service fees.
I'm assuming I still have to put adventures together, maps, etc. So there will be a learning curve. I am just trying to migrate from Roll20 and want to put the effort into doing the best I can do and learning it thoroughly.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I'm assuming I still have to put adventures together, maps, etc. So there will be a learning curve. I am just trying to migrate from Roll20 and want to put the effort into doing the best I can do and learning it thoroughly.
It depends on the system. The community-created PF2 system includes bestiaries for the official adventures. Other adventure content (feats, items, etc) appears to be included in the regular SRD compendium entries. If you want to set up notes and maps, there’s a module that will import them from your PDFs.

The OSE system is not quite as fancy as PF2. The sheet is pretty minimal, but it’s still nice. It supports AC and AAC, and it’s easy to use. However, there’s no compendium content (yet). If you want monsters and such in Foundry, you’ll need to set it all up. I’ll probably stick to my hardcopy prep, but that’s certainly a potential issue for some.

Retreater

Legend
The OSE system is not quite as fancy as PF2. The sheet is pretty minimal, but it’s still nice. It supports AC and AAC, and it’s easy to use. However, there’s no compendium content (yet). If you want monsters and such in Foundry, you’ll need to set it all up. I’ll probably stick to my hardcopy prep, but that’s certainly a potential issue for some.
Luckily, I'm assuming that OSE and similar systems will be much easier to set up oneself (or run without automation).

Starbrat

Explorer
I was surprised to read the announcement, but have become quite intrigued. Whilst PF was never of interest to me as I didn't care for the system, I've enjoyed Savage Worlds for the last ten years, and I like to see what it can do with fantasy.
Of course, SW already has some very good fantasy lines, so this will need to bring something new, but I'll probably back it for the PDF at least, just to give it a fair shake.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases