Pathfinder Beginner Box Review

Hello buckaroos! We return once again from the feet of the golem with a new PAIZO PRODUCT REVIEW! Today we’re looking at the new Pathfinder Beginner Box, Paizo’s latest in a hugely successful line of products for newcomers to our hobby. Spoiler alert: they’ve got another success on their hands. Let’s get into it!

Hello buckaroos! We return once again from the feet of the golem with a new PAIZO PRODUCT REVIEW! Today we’re looking at the new Pathfinder Beginner Box, Paizo’s latest in a hugely successful line of products for newcomers to our hobby. Spoiler alert: they’ve got another success on their hands. Let’s get into it!

PZO2106 PF2 Beginner Box 1200x675.jpg

First Impressions​

We start off this box review with an initial impression, and the initial impression is good! Bright, colorful, cheerful lettering, and a good heft—all things that say “good RPG thing must buy” to my primal dicegoblin brain. Upon first opening, we see a bag of dice, a bag of token bases, and a handful of small inserts culminating in a page that says READ THIS FIRST.

Of course I do not READ THAT FIRST! I huck the token bases to the side and take a gander at the dice. One each of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20, each in strong, single colors with clear lettering. I’m of mixed mind on these dice. On one hand, I appreciate a grab-bag approach to starter dice: my first starter set in a beginner box had mixed colors, and non-uniform dice to me makes them easier to share. That said, the bright primary colors evoke a handful of crayons, and while beginner boxes are in part meant to accommodate a younger audience and get them excited, I think the color-scheme may be skewing a bit young. The Crayola colors are easily forgiven as soon as you dig past the READ THIS FIRST page and you see the character sheets with delightful reference images for each of the dice—but we’ll get to the character sheets in a bit. I only have a few minor issues left with the dice. This is a bit snobbish, but I consider any dice set that doesn’t have two d10 and four d6 to be incomplete. Also, I’d prefer a resealable dice bag over the disposable one: my first set of dice from my beginner box is down to just five dice from the original ten because they spent their lives rattling around loose in their box.

Now, the inserts! A little postcard lets you know that there’s a custom Syrinscape playlist for the adventure contained within. Neat! The other postcards are player reference cards, which are about the best attempt at getting new players over the fairly steep Pathfinder learning curve I’ve seen yet. That said, there is a bit of a shock when you turn them over and are greeted with a wall of text. Finally, the READ THIS FIRST page is short, sweet, and to the point, laying out how to approach the Box as a solo player or with a group of players.

Character Sheets​

Below the READ THIS FIRST we have the character sheets, and here’s where the Box starts to show its hand a bit. You’re clearly meant to use this with a group of players, as it’s those pregenerated character folios which appear before the Hero’s Handbook which contains the solo adventure. That said, I have quite a lot of good things to say about these character sheets. Cover page features a name, a class, a huge splash art of the character’s portrait, and a quick description to help potential newcomers choose their playstyle.

Like the reference cards, the meat and potatoes of the character sheets can seem like an overwhelming barrage of information, but thankfully a solid half of that text is dedicated to explaining and leading a new player through the rather complicated process of understanding a Pathfinder character sheet. Truly excellent layout design is on display here—little coordinating lettered yellow circles lead the reader easily from explanation to relevant box, and the most-used sections of the sheet (AC, hit points, so on) are boxed out in red to stand out from the regular black. As I said before, there’s a handsome little sidebar displaying each of the dice available and their abbreviations—excellent! Also, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this on a Pathfinder character sheet before, but these now have a space for personal pronouns! Finally, the layout artist gets a cheeky point from me for putting a few characters of character history on the back page of the folio—literal backstory.

As an aside: Wayne Reynolds' art maintains his high level of technical excellence, but there’s something repetitive about the characters' poses. This all stands in contrast to the cover art for the Hero’s Handbook, done by Ekaterina Burmak. The character posing here helps focus the eye on defining aspects of each character: Kyra’s pose pulls back and up into her holy symbol, shining forth with protecting energy against the lightning blast of the dragon. Valeros pushes forward into his shield, taking the brunt of the blast, emphasizing his role on the front line and the use of his shield in his playstyle. And then, off to the side, we see Merisiel darting in, lines almost blurred with speed, unseen by the dragon, dagger darting forward to the exposed neck. Sure, Wayne’s art is technically more accurate to the adventure—the dragon is green, and on top of one of the massive mushrooms in its cavern—but I definitely like Ekaterina’s art more.

The Hero's Handbook​

The Hero's Handbook kicks off with a solo adventure, a delightful little romp through a quick little cavern with a few nasties and quite a bit of treasure. My advice for those taking their own crack at it? Fortune favors the bold. The rest of the Hero’s Handbook concerns itself with expertly navigating a new player through the process of making a new character, complete with the colorful lettered circles that connect to spaces on the provided empty character sheets. Also, the Hero’s Handbook FINALLY does away with the difference between ability scores and ability modifiers—thank goodness.

The Game Master's Guide​

Like the Hero’s Handbook, the Game Master’s Guide kicks off with an adventure. As a GM and as an adventure designer, I do appreciate the way the adventure designers generally nail one-page sections for each room or encounter. Like with the solo adventure, there’s excellent escalation of challenges: first simple combat, then a combat with some saving throws, then skill checks, puzzles, persistent damage, and some undead to let the cleric shine in an offensive moment. Other nice spots of design include magical boon rewards and defending monsters getting some home turf advantages. Also, it must be said: this features a dragon in a dungeon. Points again!

My only real issues with the adventure was the tired artifact of XP—if we’re going to be doing away with ability scores and modifiers, just take the leap to milestone XP, especially if the Game Master’s Guide later insists all players advance equally anyway—and the climactic encounters seem a little lackluster. Perhaps it’s just a glut of excellent encounter design I’ve seen from other places lately, but I tend to expect a little more action from the environment. That said, this is an introductory adventure, and I wouldn’t want to throw a new GM too far into the deep end.

The rest of the Game Master’s Guide is simply excellent material for a new GM learning the ropes, and indeed is a fantastic refresher for experienced GMs wanting a straightforward and concise presentation of the fundamentals of running tabletop games in general and Pathfinder 2E in specific. My only issue with this section is that there's more ogre art in line with their supposed foul and flabby nature. I can tell this was a deliberate choice because much of the rest of the monster art, specifically that of the orcs, is lifted directly from the Bestiary. I will keep my ogres beautiful and beefy, thank you very much.

The Rest​

What’s left? Well, we have the fold-out maps, which are excellent and which absolutely require a full table to use properly. There are tokens for every monster that appears in the Game Master’s Guide, and even tokens for every ancestry/gender/class combination possible with the limited options available in the Hero’s Handbook. Also, some tokens with action and reaction symbols on them for use with the relevant spaces on the included character sheets.

In summary, the Pathfinder Beginner Box is an excellent introduction to the game for new solo players and new groups, and an excellent reintroduction for veterans looking for a refresh on the game’s core identity. Well worth the investment and guaranteed to be a hit at your table.

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

I think overall this review is fair, but I find myself, I guess, surprised by some statements from the review and some commenters. Obviously, the following is IMO and YMMV etc.

I do not agree with the critique of lack of milestone replacement as a ding in the review. It asserts that this should be an obvious replacement in the case of the “tired artefact of xp”. Firstly, this is based off the false assumption that milestones are innately superior and so why have they gone with xp as a result?
For me, I don’t believe in that basis (for me I disagree with their use as I feel they are a solution in search of a self made problem) and there are enough to discussions still in the community around their use and xp that suggest that the jury is still out on them at the moment.

A lot of commentators are suggesting that the box offers less than the 5e starter set as the adventure isn’t as long as the 5e box and doesn’t go to level 5. Obviously, opinions will differ on the adventure quality, but in the haste to declare the starter set superior, one thing is overlooked. Where are the rules in the 5e starter book to make your own characters? Where are the tools in the dm booklet to create your own adventures?

you are given a pre packaged adventure and the rules to run it, that’s it. The pf2 box gives you an adventure, the ability to create your own character and provides the gm with a bestiary (featuring monsters not in the adventure), information on traps and hazards and how to construct those so that you are empowered to create your own.

This shows a difference in philosophy about what an RPG starter set should be and do. Its down to you what fits best for you, but I’d take a toolset that shows me as a beginner on HOW to GM and play vs just building a reliance on pre packaged content.

dave2008

Legend
. One of the reasons PF2 is so popular is the amount of choices available to players and GMs.

Incidentally, if anyone has the starter set and wants to see the game's full rules (or to play with them before deciding to invest) for comparison, you can freely and legally do so on Archives of Nethys.

Here's a link to the CRB on that website, so Dave can see for themselves what isn't represented in the BB.
As I mentioned, I already have the CRB (and the Bestiary & GMG). I've also had the Archives bookmark since PF2 came out. The reason I was asking if I could get by with just the box, I don't want to deal with the 600+ pages of the CRB!

CapnZapp

Legend
Why you would want to cripple your players and limit them to a tiny fraction of the options available to them via the full rule set is your choice.
You might not realize this, but your choice of phrasing reveals more about you and your limitations, than anything else.

Just sayin'...

CapnZapp

Legend
Incidentally, if anyone has the starter set and wants to see the game's full rules (or to play with them before deciding to invest) for comparison, you can freely and legally do so on Archives of Nethys.

Here's a link to the CRB on that website, so Dave can see for themselves what isn't represented in the BB.
I thnk what Dave (and many other people) would really find useful, is a complete breakdown of what is in the CRB but not in the BB (a "diff" if you will).

And I don't mean the gazillion feats. I mean rules. How you do stuff, and what stuff you can do. So including skill actions. But not class feats, items, spells and such.

dave2008

Legend
I thnk what Dave (and many other people) would really find useful, is a complete breakdown of what is in the CRB but not in the BB (a "diff" if you will).

And I don't mean the gazillion feats. I mean rules. How you do stuff, and what stuff you can do. So including skill actions. But not class feats, items, spells and such.
Yes, that would be great, but a lot of work I imagine.

It’s all pretty much there in the starter set. It’s the same rules, just less options. For all the talk of the size of the CRB, the “how to play rules” are less than 30 pages.
You lose a lot of the extra things like crafting and specific downtime activities (and thus skill options that might relate to that). You also lose non basic classes and information and items above level 3.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Maybe we can streamline the presentation of PF2? Is it too early to start on the retroclone? :D
I considered it non-seriously before I finally decided to move forward with pitching my group on trying OSE. I’d made a pass at streamlining skill actions in my cheat sheet and realized that many of them were resolved similarly. One can probably drop most of the actions and replace them with a handful of tools the GM can use to adjudicate various situations.

However, I realized that rabbit hole was deep. Once you get past skill actions, then you have clunky subsystems like the vision subsystem that barely does anything. You think it does, but most of the rules are actually baked into Stealth and Hide.

I’ll concede that the Beginner Box does seem to take care of some of this stuff. It drops the vision state machine and replaces it with plain language. What happens when you do certain things while hidden was dropped from the skill actions and moved to a sidebar. Like I said before, other parts are also presented better than the CRB.

Ultimately, I decided going down that rabbit hole wasn’t a good use of my time. The type of game I like to run can be done in PF2 (and done fine), but it requires some tinkering, and it’s not a common way to run the game. It’s just easier to do something with less of an impedance mismatch, and I’m burnt out on running PF2.

GreyLord

Legend
I think overall this review is fair, but I find myself, I guess, surprised by some statements from the review and some commenters. Obviously, the following is IMO and YMMV etc.

I do not agree with the critique of lack of milestone replacement as a ding in the review. It asserts that this should be an obvious replacement in the case of the “tired artefact of xp”. Firstly, this is based off the false assumption that milestones are innately superior and so why have they gone with xp as a result?
For me, I don’t believe in that basis (for me I disagree with their use as I feel they are a solution in search of a self made problem) and there are enough to discussions still in the community around their use and xp that suggest that the jury is still out on them at the moment.

A lot of commentators are suggesting that the box offers less than the 5e starter set as the adventure isn’t as long as the 5e box and doesn’t go to level 5. Obviously, opinions will differ on the adventure quality, but in the haste to declare the starter set superior, one thing is overlooked. Where are the rules in the 5e starter book to make your own characters? Where are the tools in the dm booklet to create your own adventures?

you are given a pre packaged adventure and the rules to run it, that’s it. The pf2 box gives you an adventure, the ability to create your own character and provides the gm with a bestiary (featuring monsters not in the adventure), information on traps and hazards and how to construct those so that you are empowered to create your own.

This shows a difference in philosophy about what an RPG starter set should be and do. Its down to you what fits best for you, but I’d take a toolset that shows me as a beginner on HOW to GM and play vs just building a reliance on pre packaged content.
I didn't say the Starter set was...and I don't think many have.

There is something else called the Essentials Kit. It came out after the Starter Set. You should really look it up if you do not know what the Essentials Kit is. It is NOT the Starter Set, it is a different item for 5e which allows you to do all the PF BB box does, but with more classes, races, levels, and adventure possilibities. It lacks the grid graph (which is basically useless in the BB except for the included adventure) and the pawns.

It is the ESSENTIALS KIT. In it you have the rules to create a character, go up to level 6, have 5 classes and 4 races with many subraces, and a branching adventure (dice seem higher quality as well).

You can combine it with the Starter Set (buying both of them can be cheaper than buying one PF2e BB even) to have yet even more adventures and items to work with (monsters and other items).

I don't think many have claimed what you said about the Starter Set, it's about the Essentials Kit or the EK and Starter Set combined.

If we want to get technical, in addition when you combine both ( It may just be in the Essentials Kit, but as I combined mine, I can't be positive which came with which set) they also include a cardboard DM's screen (which the PF2e BB does not) as well as condition cards (for example, say someone is hit prone, the DM can hand them a card which describes everything about it, the BB has one as well, but it is all on one card) and indicates that they currently have that condition. It also has Magic Item cards amongst other items which the PF 2e BB does not.

Overall, the Essentials Kit is a bargain, combined with the Starter Set it's far more value for the money in my opinion than the PF2e BB.

PS: That doesn't mean I dislike everything about PF2e, I just think that the PF2e BB is a BAD value. Alone it rates higher than the 5e Starter set, but it rates lower than every other box set that's come out for games like PF or D&D....

Regarding things that I DO think PF2e made some good choices about, at least as I understand it...

Fighters hit better than other classes. They get bonuses granted by class abilities to actually hit better than others...something 5e doesn't really do.

The 3 action paradigm works better than the lose all your multiple attacks if you move paradigm of PF 1e

Skills are imaginative...

But I DO think the PF2e BB is not that great of a value in comparison to what else has been released in the past, or what is even out presently (the Star Finder Box which we tried has a LOT MORE value for the money in my opinion, and obviously the Essentials Kit for D&D 5e has the best value presently in my opinion).

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads