Pathfinder Beginner Box Review

Hello buckaroos! We return once again from the feet of the golem with a new PAIZO PRODUCT REVIEW! Today we’re looking at the new Pathfinder Beginner Box, Paizo’s latest in a hugely successful line of products for newcomers to our hobby. Spoiler alert: they’ve got another success on their hands. Let’s get into it!

Hello buckaroos! We return once again from the feet of the golem with a new PAIZO PRODUCT REVIEW! Today we’re looking at the new Pathfinder Beginner Box, Paizo’s latest in a hugely successful line of products for newcomers to our hobby. Spoiler alert: they’ve got another success on their hands. Let’s get into it!

PZO2106 PF2 Beginner Box 1200x675.jpg

First Impressions​

We start off this box review with an initial impression, and the initial impression is good! Bright, colorful, cheerful lettering, and a good heft—all things that say “good RPG thing must buy” to my primal dicegoblin brain. Upon first opening, we see a bag of dice, a bag of token bases, and a handful of small inserts culminating in a page that says READ THIS FIRST.

Of course I do not READ THAT FIRST! I huck the token bases to the side and take a gander at the dice. One each of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20, each in strong, single colors with clear lettering. I’m of mixed mind on these dice. On one hand, I appreciate a grab-bag approach to starter dice: my first starter set in a beginner box had mixed colors, and non-uniform dice to me makes them easier to share. That said, the bright primary colors evoke a handful of crayons, and while beginner boxes are in part meant to accommodate a younger audience and get them excited, I think the color-scheme may be skewing a bit young. The Crayola colors are easily forgiven as soon as you dig past the READ THIS FIRST page and you see the character sheets with delightful reference images for each of the dice—but we’ll get to the character sheets in a bit. I only have a few minor issues left with the dice. This is a bit snobbish, but I consider any dice set that doesn’t have two d10 and four d6 to be incomplete. Also, I’d prefer a resealable dice bag over the disposable one: my first set of dice from my beginner box is down to just five dice from the original ten because they spent their lives rattling around loose in their box.

Now, the inserts! A little postcard lets you know that there’s a custom Syrinscape playlist for the adventure contained within. Neat! The other postcards are player reference cards, which are about the best attempt at getting new players over the fairly steep Pathfinder learning curve I’ve seen yet. That said, there is a bit of a shock when you turn them over and are greeted with a wall of text. Finally, the READ THIS FIRST page is short, sweet, and to the point, laying out how to approach the Box as a solo player or with a group of players.

Character Sheets​

Below the READ THIS FIRST we have the character sheets, and here’s where the Box starts to show its hand a bit. You’re clearly meant to use this with a group of players, as it’s those pregenerated character folios which appear before the Hero’s Handbook which contains the solo adventure. That said, I have quite a lot of good things to say about these character sheets. Cover page features a name, a class, a huge splash art of the character’s portrait, and a quick description to help potential newcomers choose their playstyle.

Like the reference cards, the meat and potatoes of the character sheets can seem like an overwhelming barrage of information, but thankfully a solid half of that text is dedicated to explaining and leading a new player through the rather complicated process of understanding a Pathfinder character sheet. Truly excellent layout design is on display here—little coordinating lettered yellow circles lead the reader easily from explanation to relevant box, and the most-used sections of the sheet (AC, hit points, so on) are boxed out in red to stand out from the regular black. As I said before, there’s a handsome little sidebar displaying each of the dice available and their abbreviations—excellent! Also, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this on a Pathfinder character sheet before, but these now have a space for personal pronouns! Finally, the layout artist gets a cheeky point from me for putting a few characters of character history on the back page of the folio—literal backstory.

As an aside: Wayne Reynolds' art maintains his high level of technical excellence, but there’s something repetitive about the characters' poses. This all stands in contrast to the cover art for the Hero’s Handbook, done by Ekaterina Burmak. The character posing here helps focus the eye on defining aspects of each character: Kyra’s pose pulls back and up into her holy symbol, shining forth with protecting energy against the lightning blast of the dragon. Valeros pushes forward into his shield, taking the brunt of the blast, emphasizing his role on the front line and the use of his shield in his playstyle. And then, off to the side, we see Merisiel darting in, lines almost blurred with speed, unseen by the dragon, dagger darting forward to the exposed neck. Sure, Wayne’s art is technically more accurate to the adventure—the dragon is green, and on top of one of the massive mushrooms in its cavern—but I definitely like Ekaterina’s art more.

The Hero's Handbook​

The Hero's Handbook kicks off with a solo adventure, a delightful little romp through a quick little cavern with a few nasties and quite a bit of treasure. My advice for those taking their own crack at it? Fortune favors the bold. The rest of the Hero’s Handbook concerns itself with expertly navigating a new player through the process of making a new character, complete with the colorful lettered circles that connect to spaces on the provided empty character sheets. Also, the Hero’s Handbook FINALLY does away with the difference between ability scores and ability modifiers—thank goodness.

The Game Master's Guide​

Like the Hero’s Handbook, the Game Master’s Guide kicks off with an adventure. As a GM and as an adventure designer, I do appreciate the way the adventure designers generally nail one-page sections for each room or encounter. Like with the solo adventure, there’s excellent escalation of challenges: first simple combat, then a combat with some saving throws, then skill checks, puzzles, persistent damage, and some undead to let the cleric shine in an offensive moment. Other nice spots of design include magical boon rewards and defending monsters getting some home turf advantages. Also, it must be said: this features a dragon in a dungeon. Points again!

My only real issues with the adventure was the tired artifact of XP—if we’re going to be doing away with ability scores and modifiers, just take the leap to milestone XP, especially if the Game Master’s Guide later insists all players advance equally anyway—and the climactic encounters seem a little lackluster. Perhaps it’s just a glut of excellent encounter design I’ve seen from other places lately, but I tend to expect a little more action from the environment. That said, this is an introductory adventure, and I wouldn’t want to throw a new GM too far into the deep end.

The rest of the Game Master’s Guide is simply excellent material for a new GM learning the ropes, and indeed is a fantastic refresher for experienced GMs wanting a straightforward and concise presentation of the fundamentals of running tabletop games in general and Pathfinder 2E in specific. My only issue with this section is that there's more ogre art in line with their supposed foul and flabby nature. I can tell this was a deliberate choice because much of the rest of the monster art, specifically that of the orcs, is lifted directly from the Bestiary. I will keep my ogres beautiful and beefy, thank you very much.

The Rest​

What’s left? Well, we have the fold-out maps, which are excellent and which absolutely require a full table to use properly. There are tokens for every monster that appears in the Game Master’s Guide, and even tokens for every ancestry/gender/class combination possible with the limited options available in the Hero’s Handbook. Also, some tokens with action and reaction symbols on them for use with the relevant spaces on the included character sheets.

In summary, the Pathfinder Beginner Box is an excellent introduction to the game for new solo players and new groups, and an excellent reintroduction for veterans looking for a refresh on the game’s core identity. Well worth the investment and guaranteed to be a hit at your table.

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

BigZebra

Adventurer
With regards to the BB adventure, I listened to the Paizo podcast where they went through the adventure. It's actually quite good. This is episode 1.
Anyway, I specifically remember that the party had to retreat back up to the city, because the dire rats almost killed them o_O
Other than that, it actually sounded like they had a great time.

GreyLord

Legend
What happened in that first encounter to cause you to have a character die to giant rats?

The rats are each half as strong as one PC, have 6 hit points and an AC of 15, and do 1d6+1 damage. The fighter Raising his Shield and using Shield Block, and the cleric with a full day of resources of healing, should have handled that Moderate encounter. Kyra can cast heal or stabilize on a Dying character.

I disagree that the PF2 BB adventure was so challenging that it was "killing the PC's off before the players even have a chance to figure out how to play."

When I first played PF2 back during the 2018 playtest, I found that, having come from other editions, it was a surprise that monsters can (1) attack multiple times at Level 1 and (2) can crit on less than a natural 20. You can see your party's HP totals going south fast.

New players who do not have experience with other D&D editions quickly learn that you generally don't want to end your turn next to an enemy or that you at least you want to Raise your Shield. In the PF2 BB, the solo adventure in the PF2 BB drills this home with its first encounters.

Just raising the possibility that habits from other editions might have caused players to drive straight into proverbial brick walls. But on the other hand, if the tactical play and crunch/style of PF2 are just not your group's cup of tea, that's okay, too. At least you gave it a shot.

If I recall, they made the passages VERY NARROW in the Dungeon. There is not much room to move around. Hence, when the rats came out, they all attacked the first guy that was basically standing there. Two of them hit immediately. None of us could hit their AC...AT ALL, even with missile weapons. Second round, the first PC dies and the rats move on to the next one.

We noticed something in the combats with PF2e, we consistently would miss...a LOT. Looking at the math, most of the Characters will need a 12 or better to hit, which means that you are going to be missing 3 out of every 5 rolls.

The Rats on the other hand have a +7 to hit, and will hit even the pre-generated characters (which had a HIGHER AC in general than the ones we created) on an 11 or better. For the others you are looking at a roll of 8 and 9 to hit. (for us, the rats needed an 8 to hit most of us, with one being a 6 or 7 (can't recall off the top of my head) but that one was normally in the back). This mean that the odds of the rats hitting us were exactly the same odds as us missing them, and as we would miss more than they would hit, they would hit us more than they would miss us. (PS: and I mentioned it below, that yes, it was also easier for them to crit us. The bonus they have to hit is basically an unfair advantage in many ways in that first fight).

No area to really maneuver in the Dungeon, plus the enemies have a much greater chance to hit, means that with the narrow corridors you face in the game, you are constantly going to have who ever is in front being hit far more often then the party hits the enemy. With 4 enemies against a party of 4, you are going to have a LOT MORE damage dealt to the party, and since in many areas you can only have one or two that are in front, there's no one else to spread the damage out between in horrible situations where you end up with one character being able to be hit from multiple angles, but the others not being able to maneuver into being able to hit the enemy in the same manner.

This is more a problem with the opening dungeon though that comes with the box (Plaguestone had a few like this, but not as bad in general) because it gives no room for real tactics or maneuvering. It's too closed in. The system is designed so you can have more mobility, but the dungeon/adventure provided really does a terrible job of enabling this.

The BIGGEST problem though, is that they made the enemies too hard to hit while making it much easier for enemies to hit us. That leads to uneven and unfair fights for beginning players. Furthermore, it is EASIER (with the way PF2e does crits) for the players to be critically hit by the Rats, then for the players to actually critically hit the enemies. In fact, in some cases it is nigh impossible for the PC's the crit the Rats, but the enemies only needing an 18 or 19 makes it much more likely for the enemies to crit the PCs.

Last edited:

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
If I recall, they made the passages VERY NARROW in the Dungeon. There is not much room to move around. Hence, when the rats came out, they all attacked the first guy that was basically standing there. Two of them hit immediately. None of us could hit their AC...AT ALL, even with missile weapons. Second round, the first PC dies and the rats move on to the next one.

We noticed something in the combats with PF2e, we consistently would miss...a LOT. Looking at the math, most of the Characters will need a 12 or better to hit, which means that you are going to be missing 3 out of every 5 rolls.

The Rats on the other hand have a +7 to hit, and will hit even the pre-generated characters (which had a HIGHER AC in general than the ones we created) on an 11 or better. For the others you are looking at a roll of 8 and 9 to hit. (for us, the rats needed an 8 to hit most of us, with one being a 6 or 7 (can't recall off the top of my head) but that one was normally in the back). This mean that the odds of the rats hitting us were exactly the same odds as us missing them, and as we would miss more than they would hit, they would hit us more than they would miss us.

No area to really maneuver in the Dungeon, plus the enemies have a much greater chance to hit, means that with the narrow corridors you face in the game, you are constantly going to have who ever is in front being hit far more often then the party hits the enemy. With 4 enemies against a party of 4, you are going to have a LOT MORE damage dealt to the party, and since in many areas you can only have one or two that are in front, there's no one else to spread the damage out between in horrible situations where you end up with one character being able to be hit from multiple angles, but the others not being able to maneuver into being able to hit the enemy in the same manner.

This is more a problem with the opening dungeon though that comes with the box (Plaguestone had a few like this, but not as bad in general) because it gives no room for real tactics or maneuvering. It's too closed in. The system is designed so you can have more mobility, but the dungeon/adventure provided really does a terrible job of enabling this.

The BIGGEST problem though, is that they made the enemies too hard to hit while making it much easier for enemies to hit us. That leads to uneven and unfair fights for beginning players. Furthermore, it is EASIER (with the way PF2e does crits) for the players to be critically hit by the Rats, then for the players to actually critically hit the enemies. In fact, in some cases it is nigh impossible for the PC's the crit the Rats, but the enemies only needing an 18 or 19 makes it much more likely for the enemies to crit the PCs.
I understand about the lack of mobility, that is a problem, but needing a 12 or 13 to hit seems a bit out, as I remember the rats are AC 15, having a plus 2 or 3 to hit seems too low, I would've thought stat + proficiency would give you much higher than that

GreyLord

Legend
I understand about the lack of mobility, that is a problem, but needing a 12 or 13 to hit seems a bit out, as I remember the rats are AC 15, having a plus 2 or 3 to hit seems too low, I would've thought stat + proficiency would give you much higher than that

The Rats are AC 16, or that's how the DM played them. As I said, they consistently seem to be one or two points too high for what they should have to be hit with. Most characters, even the pre-generated ones, have a +4 to hit, except for the Fighter.

Edit: Looking at the adventure, it says AC15, but I could have sworn we played it as AC 16. Either way, they Rats could hit us with our created characters at a 8, which gave them a HUGE advantage. Adding to that how they basically swarmed the individual closest to the Hole (there were two characters, the Fighter and Cleric with the Rogue holding back at first as well as the Wizard. The Fighter and Cleric both went down but only one actually died in the encounter itself, which, as I said, put a BAD taste in that players mouth for the rest of the time).

After the first encounter we didn't die, but there were other items that really didn't make it fun. One example...

Lack of mobility throughout the adventure was NOT fun though, it made it harder for the Rogue to be able to use some of their abilities, and made the combats more static as even if we could move back to try to create more room, the enemies when in larger groups would use the narrow corridors for their advantage as well.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
I find this argument disingenuous. At first level, character creation is not much more time consuming than 5e.

”And at the lowest levels, you can die through no fault of your own”.

Just as you can in 5e, 3e and Ad&d. This is not a trait particular to PF2. Now absolutely, you can argue around the lethality and difficulty of combat within PF2 as a game and whether that level of challenge is your cup of tea.

Here, the specific discussion is around the beginner box encounter, particularly the rats as the first. I hold that that encounter is no more lethal than the initial goblin encounter in phandelver and in fact, perhaps more generous to the players.

The vast majority of these encounters in the starter box are perfectly approachable to any beginner, subject to the whims of RNGeesus which is a factor of any beginning levels.
Actually, for us it was a LOT MORE TIME consuming...like a TON more time consuming.

I don't know why 5e would be so time consuming for you to make a character, but PF2e took a LOT MORE TIME than 5e does for us. You have to realize, the players were NOT familiar with PF2e, we were creating our first characters with this new ruleset.

Even with the BB, it was a LOT more time consuming.

With regards to the BB adventure, I listened to the Paizo podcast where they went through the adventure. It's actually quite good. This is episode 1.
Anyway, I specifically remember that the party had to retreat back up to the city, because the dire rats almost killed them o_O
Other than that, it actually sounded like they had a great time.

That actually sounds like the very first battle of the game. The one that put a bad taste into people's mouths. If that's the Paizo podcast, I expect those people had some experience with the system. If THEY had trouble...just imagine what and how much a bunch of beginners that have NO EXPERIENCE with the system are going to have.

YOU DON"T design a hard battle for the very first encounter with combat a group of "beginner" players are going to have with your game. FIRST IMPRESSIONS hit hard.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
The Rats are AC 16, or that's how the DM played them. As I said, they consistently seem to be one or two points too high for what they should have to be hit with. Most characters, even the pre-generated ones, have a +4 to hit, except for the Fighter.
Well even a 16 wouldn't be so bad, a pretty basic fighter should be hitting that on a ten or more, i suppose it's not the easiest to hit but not in the realms of super high difficulty.

As for character creation, it's a little more involved than 5e as there are more decision points, and some feats can open up other feats so it can be a bit complicated, but I wouldn't say it's massively more complex than 5e, not to the point of frustration anyway.

GreyLord

Legend
Well even a 16 wouldn't be so bad, a pretty basic fighter should be hitting that on a ten or more, i suppose it's not the easiest to hit but not in the realms of super high difficulty.

As for character creation, it's a little more involved than 5e as there are more decision points, and some feats can open up other feats so it can be a bit complicated, but I wouldn't say it's massively more complex than 5e, not to the point of frustration anyway.

It wasn't complicated with the BB, or frustrating, just more time consuming. We all had different parts of the BB that were frustrating.

Obviously I touched upon one player's frustration already. That first impression on them was a doozy. There probably was no way to win them over to even want to play PF2e after that happened.

For me, I think the first adventure's dungeon was what really started making me sour on the game. I attributed it at first to being uninteresting, but on reflection on it, I think it may have been more about how small they made it (small meaning the rooms and corridors and such). With the system as it is, it seems as if it would encourage mobility and using options, but that dungeon really didn't let you use it. So, you have all these neat new tools that you want to try out, but you keep getting stopped by the way the Dungeon is designed, and so you can never really try them out...which leads to a frustration of sorts. Add onto that where you seem to miss an awfully lot (it could be just bad rolls on our part, which happens in sessions sometimes, but looking at the math, it seems that the monsters in general get much better to hit bonuses than the PC's in general, which probably adds to the idea that they keep hitting while you keep missing...which ALSO adds to frustration. We may have been hitting them just fine, but because they were hitting us MORE often, it felt like we were missing more...which also can add to frustrations...especially after 5e where PC's hit a LOT more often it seems).

The other players, I have my thoughts on what frustrated them, but this post is probably too long already.

Plaguestone was better and more inventive, but we still had the thing where enemies seemed to hit us FAR more often than we hit the enemies. Maybe we have bad tactics, but, this is our first time playing the PF2e game.

I would HOPE people don't expect first time players of the game system to automatically be experts simply because they have the BB.

I DO want to say, there ARE things I like about the PF2e system, and things I would love to see in 5e, but combat just seems to frustrating in general for me and that's a killer because so much of what we did involved combat. The IRONY is that right at the end of Plaguestone we ended up one evening without the cardboard standees and grid...and the theater of the mind actually seemed a LOT MORE FUN than using the grid. It may be the PF2e is a LOT MORE FUN with theater of the mind than with a grid and pieces to move around, but unfortunately most of our experience wasn't with TotM.

The Rats on the other hand have a +7 to hit, and will hit even the pre-generated characters (which had a HIGHER AC in general than the ones we created) on an 11 or better. For the others you are looking at a roll of 8 and 9 to hit. (for us, the rats needed an 8 to hit most of us, with one being a 6 or 7 (can't recall off the top of my head) but that one was normally in the back). This mean that the odds of the rats hitting us were exactly the same odds as us missing them, and as we would miss more than they would hit, they would hit us more than they would miss us. (PS: and I mentioned it below, that yes, it was also easier for them to crit us. The bonus they have to hit is basically an unfair advantage in many ways in that first fight).

Those rats are positioned right at the front of the tunnel. Which leads back into the room. Going into the room gives you plenty of space. If the encounter is run right, you shouldn't be fighting them in the corridor since they occupy its entire width and can't actually get in. There are two pregens that have a +4 to hit the AC of 4. Valeros has a +9 to hit with most of his attacks and the thief has a +7. Vs the Rats AC of 15. Which means that only 2 characters would need an 11 to hit with their weapons. Luckily, those characters are cleric and Wizard who should be doing something else than trying to go toe to toe with them...

Did you use the heroes handbook making a character following the steps laid out or just try and dive right in?

I don't think there is a requirement for you to be an expert to play/enjoy (especially given it's a beginner box). The dungeon could definitely have used more open space within it. I think the idea was to get you as players to think about what to do within the space of an environment you are in.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
It wasn't complicated with the BB, or frustrating, just more time consuming. We all had different parts of the BB that were frustrating.

Obviously I touched upon one player's frustration already. That first impression on them was a doozy. There probably was no way to win them over to even want to play PF2e after that happened.

For me, I think the first adventure's dungeon was what really started making me sour on the game. I attributed it at first to being uninteresting, but on reflection on it, I think it may have been more about how small they made it (small meaning the rooms and corridors and such). With the system as it is, it seems as if it would encourage mobility and using options, but that dungeon really didn't let you use it. So, you have all these neat new tools that you want to try out, but you keep getting stopped by the way the Dungeon is designed, and so you can never really try them out...which leads to a frustration of sorts. Add onto that where you seem to miss an awfully lot (it could be just bad rolls on our part, which happens in sessions sometimes, but looking at the math, it seems that the monsters in general get much better to hit bonuses than the PC's in general, which probably adds to the idea that they keep hitting while you keep missing...which ALSO adds to frustration. We may have been hitting them just fine, but because they were hitting us MORE often, it felt like we were missing more...which also can add to frustrations...especially after 5e where PC's hit a LOT more often it seems).

The other players, I have my thoughts on what frustrated them, but this post is probably too long already.

Plaguestone was better and more inventive, but we still had the thing where enemies seemed to hit us FAR more often than we hit the enemies. Maybe we have bad tactics, but, this is our first time playing the PF2e game.

I would HOPE people don't expect first time players of the game system to automatically be experts simply because they have the BB.

I DO want to say, there ARE things I like about the PF2e system, and things I would love to see in 5e, but combat just seems to frustrating in general for me and that's a killer because so much of what we did involved combat. The IRONY is that right at the end of Plaguestone we ended up one evening without the cardboard standees and grid...and the theater of the mind actually seemed a LOT MORE FUN than using the grid. It may be the PF2e is a LOT MORE FUN with theater of the mind than with a grid and pieces to move around, but unfortunately most of our experience wasn't with TotM.

Yeah that's a fair comment about the size of the dungeon, it isn't they most spaceous, and that can detract from some of the fun, I guess they are cost limited to the size of the maps they can stick in though, and simply having a few bigger rooms is a bit dull. If you don't enjoy the system thats fair enough, not every game is for everyone. I DM it over vtt, and it's the most fun I've had DM'ing any system.

GreyLord

Legend
Those rats are positioned right at the front of the tunnel. Which leads back into the room. Going into the room gives you plenty of space. If the encounter is run right, you shouldn't be fighting them in the corridor since they occupy its entire width and can't actually get in. There are two pregens that have a +4 to hit the AC of 4. Valeros has a +9 to hit with most of his attacks and the thief has a +7. Vs the Rats AC of 15. Which means that only 2 characters would need an 11 to hit with their weapons. Luckily, those characters are cleric and Wizard who should be doing something else than trying to go toe to toe with them...

Did you use the heroes handbook making a character following the steps laid out or just try and dive right in?

I don't think there is a requirement for you to be an expert to play/enjoy (especially given it's a beginner box). The dungeon could definitely have used more open space within it. I think the idea was to get you as players to think about what to do within the space of an environment you are in.

We made our own characters. We used the Heroes Handbook. We each were given the BB, so we could create our characters and then utilize it online (Zoom) in the gaming session. That way, we had characters/PC's that we wanted to play with ready to go and we could just start with the adventure right off rather than using session 1 to create characters.

With that, I think all of them had a +4 to hit, though the Rogue had a +4 with melee, but a higher bonus to hit (edit due to mistake in writing) with their ranged weapon. The Fighter had a bigger bonus to hit in melee. However, the Fighter got killed pretty darn quick and the Cleric was the next in line to be fighting for their life. Given the choice to defend themselves and try to take out a rat or two or heal the fighter, they chose to fight. The Cleric and Fighter were the ones closest to the hole, and thus the Rats could reach them in round 1. The Wizard and Rogue stayed at the back of the room and pelted the Rats (which is what probably saved the party from a TPK).

If I recall, the next scenario was the Spider, and that one I think was really hampered by a narrow area where only (one?) character could attack and defend it during the initial rounds of combat.

Remove ads

Remove ads