Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Campaign Website Template for Google Sites

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I stumbled across your template when I was setting up my own Google site for my Pathfinder game and I can confirm that it is incredibly useful. You have vastly reduced my workload and you've made it much easier to link everything to my players. We've been slowly moving towards computerized pen-and-paper playing (one player has been playing through Google chat, too) and this is a great help.

I don't want to sound like a drooling fanboy, but you did good work. :)

IronWolf

blank
I like the template, quite cool. I am soon to be DM'ing Kingmaker in the coming month or so and may put up a campaign site as well. We currently have forums for our group's campaigns, so we have that angle covered.

So... what how do folks feel about using this Google Site template versus going with something like Obsidian Portal? Pros? Cons? Other factors to consider when trying to choose between the two options?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I run two PbP games using OP and love it. I can't really speak to the way it stacks up vs. the Google Sites template here; I've looked at the campaigns linked from this thread and they look awesome, but I haven't tried actually using the site.

mgbeach

Explorer
I run two PbP games using OP and love it. I can't really speak to the way it stacks up vs. the Google Sites template here; I've looked at the campaigns linked from this thread and they look awesome, but I haven't tried actually using the site.

I messed around with OP a little bit, and one thing I like Google for is the ability to make the site private without having to pay anything. As far as I know, the free OP sites are public. Not sure about how much space the OP sites give you, but Google is essentially limitless; 100mb per site but unlimited sites. I do wish Google had wiki functionality to it as far as linking between pages that you might not want to necessarily create right now.

mgbeach

Explorer
When D&D Sheets :: Index - News is available?

Nope. I far prefer Dndsheets. Give it a try.

It would probably work well to create a subpage under each character on the Google site and embed that character's sheet in an iframe (like I did the pathfinder forums, dice roller, etc on the template..

Pathfinder: Template: Pathfinder Forums

edit, just tried it out and it works awesome. Thanks for the heads up on that site! I think I'll add a suggestion to use it to the template somewhere.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
I messed around with OP a little bit, and one thing I like Google for is the ability to make the site private without having to pay anything. As far as I know, the free OP sites are public.

Ah - we keep our group forums private, I would likely do the same with the site. If OP charges for that then that is a pro for using the Google Sites.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I messed around with OP a little bit, and one thing I like Google for is the ability to make the site private without having to pay anything. As far as I know, the free OP sites are public. Not sure about how much space the OP sites give you, but Google is essentially limitless; 100mb per site but unlimited sites. I do wish Google had wiki functionality to it as far as linking between pages that you might not want to necessarily create right now.

That's interesting . . . I pay for OP (and don't mind doing so) for the ability to run more than one campaign there. I keep the info for two games - and am about to start a third - and use one of the 'campaigns' to keep all of my house rules and other stuff that's pertinent to all three games in one spot. I also keep my PCs for the games I'm playing in there.

'Free' members get 2 campaigns, each with 2MB of upload storage and unlimited wiki pages/adventure logs/character pages/etc. They also get one campaign map (per campaign, I think).

Paying members get unlimited campaigns, each with 1GB of upload storage, and 10 campaign maps. But I typically use the upload storage for maps as well as pics and other graphics and haven't come close to the 1GB limit on any of my games. As mentioned above, paying members can also elect to keep their campaigns private (campaign members only), private plus friends, or public. They also have an e-mail function that allows selective notification of members whenever a page is updated.

I really like the layout and features on OP; it's designed for the sole purpose of storing RPG information for games.

Google Pages may well have all of the features available on OP - as I said I haven't used it so I don't know.

I'm not trying to steer anyone in a particular direction, just giving my impressions. As good as the sites linked here look, I've put considerable effort into my OP sites so it would be difficult for me to make a switch now.

I keep my game forums private, but my RPG Repository 'campaign' is public - the link's in my sig. If you (mgbeach or IronWolf) want to look at my other two games I'd be happy to invite you to join the campaigns temporarily so you could take a look. Another option would be to look at some of the very well done public campaigns on the site - honestly many of them have done much more with their sites than I have.

Last edited:

Remove ads