• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Converted Monsters

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
CYCLOPS
CR 10 (9,600 XP)
NE HUGE GIANT
Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +2

DEFENSE
AC 20; touch 6, flat-footed 20 (-2 Dex, -2 size, +4 hide armor, +10 natural)
hp 123 (13d8+65)
Fort +15, Ref +6, Will +5

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Greatclub +16 (2d12+11)
Ranged Boulder +8 (3d6+11)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing, spell-like ability

STATISTICS
Str 34, Dex 6, Con 21, Int 9, Wis 9, Cha 12
Base Atk +9; CMB +18; CMD 30
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (boulder), Weapon Focus (greatclub)
Skills: Climb +10, Jump +10, Perception +2, Stealth -3; Racial Modifiers: Perception -2
Languages: Giant

ECOLOGY
Environment: Temperate forests, hills, and mountains
Organization: Solitary or clan (2-4)
Treasure Value: 5,000 gp.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Rock Throwing (Ex): The range increment for this attack is 180 feet. It uses both hands when throwing a rock.

Spell-like Ability: 1/day--bestow curse. CL 7, Save DC 15. The save DC is Charisma-based.

----------

A cyclops (plural: cyclopes) is a rare type of giant, noted for its great size and the single eye in the center of its forehead. A cyclops is about 20' tall.

A cyclops usually lives alone, though a small group may sometimes share a large cave. They spend their time raising sheep and grapes. Cyclopes are known for their stupidity, and a clever party can often escape from them by trickery.1

----------

1. Allston, A. 1991. Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia. Random House, Inc.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
On the Cyclopes... They are stupid, but I'm not sure if they're Int 5 stupid. They do, after all, manage to herd sheep and grow grapes. I was thinking of pegging them at Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 6. Why so charismatic? And where does the 14 Dex come from? I am pretty sure I would imagine them to be fairly lumbering and clumsy, given their size and poor vision. Hill giants are Dex 8 and Large, I have a hard time imagining the Cyclops as more dextrous.

The Poor Depth Perception is a straight conversion, but the -2 attack penalty would be pretty unusual for a creature (just as it is the original rules, I know). I'm wondering if that couldn't be folded into a lower Dex penalty, since they would take quite a hit. In that case, the Perception penalty would still make sense.

Important note about Toughness:
I notice a number of critters, like the Triceratops, have Toughness multiple times. Toughness no longer works that way.

CleverNickName

On the Cyclopes... They are stupid, but I'm not sure if they're Int 5 stupid. They do, after all, manage to herd sheep and grow grapes. I was thinking of pegging them at Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 6. Why so charismatic? And where does the 14 Dex come from? I am pretty sure I would imagine them to be fairly lumbering and clumsy, given their size and poor vision. Hill giants are Dex 8 and Large, I have a hard time imagining the Cyclops as more dextrous.

The Poor Depth Perception is a straight conversion, but the -2 attack penalty would be pretty unusual for a creature (just as it is the original rules, I know). I'm wondering if that couldn't be folded into a lower Dex penalty, since they would take quite a hit. In that case, the Perception penalty would still make sense.
Thanks for your feedback, paws. It is always helpful to have a second set of eyes to go over these things.

You are right about the Dex and Int. I guess I was wanting the giant to be able to throw boulders with some degree of accuracy, at least enough to offset the penalty for poor depth perception. But I never thought about lowering the Dex and letting that be the consequence of poor vision. That is so much cleaner. :)

I'll update the stats to Int 7 and Dex 6. I wanted the Charisma to be at least 14, though, since its spell-like ability is a 4th level spell. I don't guess it is a requirement, though. (Is it?)

I notice a number of critters, like the Triceratops, have Toughness multiple times. Toughness no longer works that way.
Woops! :blush: I totally forgot about that. I'll fix them tomorrow; it's getting pretty late and that is going to take a bit of a minute to fix.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Interestingly, the Rules Cyclopedia pegs cyclops at Int 9. I wonder if that means they lack common sense, should have a lower Wis, or simply have a sorry reputation. :) It could be taken as a reason to call them Int 9, Wis 8, since the ol' RC doesn't state average Wisdom scores. They do not have to have a high Charisma, although it's conventional for creatures with several spell-like abilities to have average or better. For a creature with one ability it's hardly required. With Ability Focus (curse) (if that still exists in PF) and 13 HD, their curse ability should be formidable enough.

To reflect their lack of accuracy, while giving them a decent shot with their rocks, why not swap Weapon Focus (greatclub) for Weapon Focus (thrown rock)? Swap the now diminished Combat Reflexes for Ability Focus (curse).

pawsplay

Hero
GARGANTUA TROLL
CR 25 (1,638,400 XP)
CE HUGE HUMANOID (Giant)
Init +6; Senses Darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +17

DEFENSE
AC 17; touch 9, flat-footed 16 (+1 Dex, -2 size, +8 natural)
hp 688 (51d8+459)
Fort +37 (reroll 1/day), Ref +20 (reroll 1/day), Will +18 (reroll 1/day)
Regeneration 20

OFFENSE
Speed 60 ft.
Melee 2 Claws +35 (2d6+28/19-20),*, bite +29 (1d8+14)*
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend (3d6+12), Stunning Critical (stun 1d4 rounds on critical, DC 48 negates)
* Includes Power Attack

STATISTICS
Str 27, Dex 12, Con 27, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6
Base Atk +38; CMB +48; CMD 58
Feats: Alertness, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (claw), Toughness, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Iron Will, Improved Great Fortitude, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Improved Critical (claw), Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Overrun, Greater Overrun, Improved Sunder, Greater Sunder, Critical Focus, Stunning Critical, Lunge, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Blind-Fight, Improved Natural Attack (claw), Improved Natural Attack (bite)
Skills: Intimidate +19, Climb +23, Jump +23, Perception + 17, Sense Motive +1, Survival +0.
Languages: Giant

ECOLOGY
Environment: Cold mountains
Organization: Solitary
Treasure: Standard

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Rend (Ex): If a gargantua troll hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 3d6+9 points of damage.

Regeneration (Ex): A garguntua troll's regeneration is defeated by fire or acid. If a troll loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

------------
A garguanta is a very large variety of some other monster. These monsters are extremely rare, the products of the mad wizard Gargantua. The gargantua troll stands more than 18 feet tall.

Source: D&D Rules Cyclopedia

Last edited:

CleverNickName

In Pathfinder, this feat has a lot of swing to it...the amount of this feat's benefit depends on when the monster decides to "take" this feat. A brontosaurus has 26 HD, for example...so does the Toughness feat give it +3 hp, or +25, or something in between?

Hopefully the Bestiary has some input on this. But in the meantime, I think it would be a good idea to assume that the creature gained Toughness at the halfway-point of its hit dice. The brontosaurus would gain this feat as its 11th level feat, for example.

What do you think? Is this a good way to handle it? OTOH, I noticed that you used the maximum HD for your troll. For the sake of consistency, should I be doing likewise?

EDIT: Turns out, it doesn't make much of a difference. Having the Toughness feat multiple times, or taking it at the highest possible HD, usually only amounts to a few extra Hit Points. I went with the max.

The dinos have been updated. Thanks for the catch!

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
In Pathfinder, this feat has a lot of swing to it...the amount of this feat's benefit depends on when the monster decides to "take" this feat.

Actually, no. Toughness now has two effects:
- Gain +3 hp or +1 hp/HD if you have more than 3 HD
- +1 hp every time you gain a HD

So the benefit of Toughness is always +HD in hit points, or +3 hp, whichever is greater.

And you cannot take the Toughness feat multiple times.

CleverNickName

Considering your discussion about the cyclops, I thought I'd point out that there are already 3.X conversions of a lot of the earlier edition critters in the EN World Creature Catalog that might help you out a bit.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip...I wasn't sure about converting someone else's conversions, and then posting them as my own in this thread. I decided to err on the side of prudence.

Does anyone know if the Creature Catalog has any plans for adding a Pathfinder section?

Actually, no. Toughness now has two effects:
- Gain +3 hp or +1 hp/HD if you have more than 3 HD
- +1 hp every time you gain a HD

So the benefit of Toughness is always +HD in hit points, or +3 hp, whichever is greater.
Ah, I see. I was a little confused by the wording. Thanks for setting me straight. I hope we can still use Improved Natural Armor multiple times...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The CC itself isn't going to convert old D&D monsters to Pathfinder due to the unclear legal situation regarding WotC's trademarks. Technically the monsters in the CC are OGC (like the stuff in the ToH), but we don't know if we were really supposed to stop converting when the d20STL got cut or what. If you want to do conversions of CC stuff for an informal thread, though, go ahead!

But the CC crew will probably do something for Pathfinder at least once we have the Bestiary and the full monster rules. That's about all we know at the moment. Stay tuned, there will be some info once we know what we're doing. ;)

Remove ads