• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Converted Monsters

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The CC itself isn't going to convert old D&D monsters to Pathfinder due to the unclear legal situation regarding WotC's trademarks. Technically the monsters in the CC are OGC (like the stuff in the ToH), but we don't know if we were really supposed to stop converting when the d20STL got cut or what. If you want to do conversions of CC stuff for an informal thread, though, go ahead!
Yeah, this is the elephant in the room that nobody really wants to look at or talk about. :erm: I've tried to stay away from non-SRD monsters in this thread, but it's hard to play The Isle of Dread without at least a couple of them.

I hope we get some more information on the nature of OGC soon. I'm not trying to push the envelope; I just want to use my favorite monsters with the new rules system, and I can't convert them all by myself.

But the CC crew will probably do something for Pathfinder at least once we have the Bestiary and the full monster rules. That's about all we know at the moment. Stay tuned, there will be some info once we know what we're doing. ;)
That is great to hear! You guys do good work over there at the CC.

I will probably have to make a ton of revisions to my monsters in this thread once I get the complete rules for monsters. Right now it feels like I am just shoehorning 3.5E monsters into the Pathfinder stat block...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not going to hold my breath on WotC clarifying anything about OGC. Like we discussed toward the top of this thread, there's been no fuss from them about fans doing OGC conversions of old monsters, but it's still a little shaky. Still, if I ever get time, I may do a set of brief 3.X to PF conversion notes, sort of like the 3.0 to 3.5 notes that WotC did for the 3e monster books.

pawsplay

Hero
I was looking at the CC site, and the OGL declaration there, if I am understanding it correctly, states the the monsters and their sources are not OGC, which means the right to use them expires with the special permission from WotC.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/license.php said:
The following is a copy of the OGL version 1.0a. Section 15 details the copyright information regarding the original source of the monster, the original monster, and the converted version of the monster.
All original sources and original monsters are the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Use of these copyrights on this website should not be inferred as a challenge to their copyrights. d20 System conversions of all monsters are ©2002 Scott Greene.

Material names added here at the request of Wizards of the Coast for reference purposes. Their presence here in now [SIC] way indicates they are Open Game sources.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I was looking at the CC site, and the OGL declaration there, if I am understanding it correctly, states the the monsters and their sources are not OGC, which means the right to use them expires with the special permission from WotC.
Interesting, I must have missed that the last time I read the OGL there. Also, the section 15 is I think horribly outdated.

CleverNickName

Another for the Isle of Dread. Okay, not in particular, but it is mentioned in the random encounter tables...

ROBBER FLY
CR 1/2 (200 XP)
N MEDIUM VERMIN
Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5

DEFENSE
AC 16; touch 10, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 13 (3d8)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., Fly 80 ft. (Good)
Melee Bite +2 (1d6+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: None

STATISTICS
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 11, Int --, Wis 12, Cha 9
Base Atk +2; CMB +3; CMD 16
Feats: None
Skills: Perception +5, Stealth +4; Racial Modifiers: Perception +4, Stealth +2
Languages: None

ECOLOGY
Environment: Temperate forests, mountains, and underground
Organization: Solitary, pack (2-5), or nest (11-30)
Treasure: None

SPECIAL ABILITIES
None

----------

A robber fly is a 3' long giant fly with black and yellow stripes. From a distance, robber flies look like giant bees. They are carnivores, and hunt in packs. They prefer giant bees as food, and are immune to their poison.

Robber flies are patient hunters. They often hide in shadows and wait to surprise prey. A robber fly can leap up to 30 feet and attack with its bite.1

----------

1. Allston, A. 1991. Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia. Random House, Inc.

CleverNickName

The Isle of Dread retrofit is working out pretty good...we are having a lot of fun, and learning a lot about the intricities of Pathfinder. Here's a load of lizards that I converted, for the random encounter tables.

LIZARD, DRACO
CR 2 (600 XP)
N MEDIUM ANIMAL
Init +3; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +7

DEFENSE
AC 16; touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 Dex, +3 natural)
hp 30 (4d8+12)
Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., Fly 80 ft. (poor)
Melee Bite +6 (1d8+4)
Ranged None
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

STATISTICS
Str 17, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Base Atk +3; CMB +6; CMD 19
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude
Skills: Climb +4, Fly +7, Perception +7, Stealth +11; Racial Modifiers: Stealth +4
SQ: Glide

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or mated pair
Treasure: none.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Glide (Ex): when falling, a draco can fly at the listed speed, with poor maneuverability. This movement is in a downward direction only. Dracos never take falling damage.

----------

A draco is a 6' long lizard with wide flaps of skin between its legs. It spreads these flaps to glide through the air, like a flying squirrel. Dracos are generally found above ground, though they sometimes creep into caves to escape very cold or hot weather. They are carnivores and have been known to attack adventurers.1

----------

Last edited:

CleverNickName

LIZARD, GECKO
CR 2 (600 XP)
N MEDIUM ANIMAL
Init +3; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +7

DEFENSE
AC 16; touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 Dex, +3 natural)
hp 22 (3d8+9)
Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., Climb 40 ft.
Melee Bite +5 (1d8+4)
Ranged None
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

STATISTICS
Str 17, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Base Atk +2; CMB +5; CMD 18
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude
Skills: Climb +8, Perception +7, Stealth +7; Racial Modifiers: Climb +4

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forest or marsh
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (3-10)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
None.

----------
A gecko is a 5' long lizard colored pale blue with orange-brown spots. Geckos are nocturnal carnivores. They hunt by climbing walls or trees with their specially adapted feet, then dropping on their prey to attack.1

----------

Last edited:

CleverNickName

My favorite. :)

LIZARD, HORNED CHAMELEON
CR 2 (600 XP)
N LARGE ANIMAL
Init +1; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 15; touch 10, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural)
hp 47 (5d8+25)
Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee Bite +9 (2d6+7), tail +5 (1d6+3 plus trip)
Ranged Tongue +5 (0 plus grab)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (15 ft. with tongue)
Special Attacks: Grab

STATISTICS
Str 25, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Base Atk +3; CMB +11; CMD 22
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (tongue)
Skills: Climb +12, Perception +8, Stealth +14; Racial Modifiers: Climb +4, Stealth +8
SQ: Camouflage

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (3-10)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Camouflage (Ex): a horned chameleon can change the color of its skin to match its surroundings, allowing it to use the Stealth skill to hide even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.

Grab (Ex): If a horned chameleon hits a Medium-sized or smaller opponent with its tongue attack, it may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. Grabbed creatures are pulled into the chameleon's mouth at the beginning of the next round, and take automatic bite damage each round until freed.

----------
A horned chameleon is a 7' long lizard which can change color to blend into its surroundings. Horned chameleons prefer giant insects, but will settle for human prey in lean times. This creature can also attack with its horn and may use its tail to knock other attackers down.1

----------

CleverNickName

LIZARD, TUATARA
CR 3 (800 XP)
N LARGE ANIMAL
Init +1; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 20; touch 10, flat-footed 18 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +9 natural)
hp 57 (6d8+30)
Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee Bite +12 (2d6+9)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: -

STATISTICS
Str 28, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +14; CMD 25
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills: Climb +15, Perception +8, Stealth +6; Racial Modifiers: Climb +4

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm deserts
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (3-4)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
None.

----------
A tuatra is an 8' long carnivore which looks like a cross between an iguana and a toad. It has pebble-colored olive skin with white spines along its back. A tuatara has a membrane over its eyes which, when lowered, is sensitive to changes in temperature, allowing it to "see" in darkness (darkvision).1

----------

CleverNickName

LIVING STATUE, CRYSTAL
CR 3 (800 XP)
N MEDIUM CONSTRUCT
Init +0; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +0

DEFENSE
AC 15; touch 10, flat-footed 15 (+5 natural)
hp 36 (3d10+20)
Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +1

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Slam +6 (1d6+3) or by weapon
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 11, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Base Atk +3; CMB +6; CMD 17
Feats: None
Skills: None
SQ: Reflect, statue

ECOLOGY
Environment: Any (especially ruins)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or statuary (3-6)
Treasure: None

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Immunity to Magic (Ex): a living crystal statue is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. A shatter spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 10d6) to a living crystal statue, with no saving throw. A shout or greater shout spell automatically destroys the crystal statue on a failed Fortitude save (and deals damage normally if the save is successful.), heals any lost hit points. A mending spell heals the statue of 1d6 points of damage, and a make whole spell restores the statue to full hit points.

Reflect (Ex): The faceted, crystalline body of this statue will catch and scatter light like a prism. Any ray spell or effect that targets a living crystal statue will automatically be reflected back upon its caster.

Statue (Ex): A living statue can stand perfectly still, appearing to be a completely ordinary sculpture. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice the statue is alive.

-----

A living crystal statue is a life form made of crystals instead of flesh. Crystal statues can look like statues of anything, but often appear human.1 When the living statue is destroyed, it crumbles into worthless shards and dust.

-----

CONSTRUCTION

A living crystal statue's body is carved from a single 2000-pound block of crystal or glass. The crystal must be of exceptional quality, and costs at least 2,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 15 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 15 Craft (gemcutting) check.

CL 9th; Craft Construct, polymorph, lesser geas, shatter, make whole, caster must be at least 9th level; Price 12,000 gp; Cost 7,000 gp.

----------

Remove ads