Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder Nexus is the Official Toolset for PF2E

Paizo has just announced a partnership with Demiplane to create a D&D Beyond-style digital toolset for Pathfinder 2nd Edition.

maxresdefault.jpg

Demiplane (which is described as "a leading digital platform for tabletop roleplaying fans") was launched last year. Its Chief Development Officer is Adam Bradford, D&D Beyond's co-founder, who left D&D Beyond last year at the same time as other senior staff including Todd Kenrick (DDB's Creative Manager) and Lauren Urban (Community Manager).

GREEN BAY, WI (October 26, 2021) – Today Demiplane, a leading digital platform for tabletop roleplaying fans, announced a multi-year licensing agreement with Paizo Inc. to create Pathfinder Nexus, the official digital toolset and game companion for the award-winning Pathfinder tabletop roleplaying game. Pathfinder Nexus is set to release in early 2022. Pre-orders with early access to the new platform begin today.

Originally released in 2008, Pathfinder is one of the most popular fantasy tabletop roleplaying games in the world, filled with unique characters, rich lore, and exciting monsters, magic, and wonder. Pathfinder Second Edition was released in 2019 with rules that are fast to learn, easy to play, and that offer more customization options than ever before. In Pathfinder, players take on the role of custom-created characters to tell cooperative stories of limitless fantasy adventures and collaborative gameplay amongst friends. Pathfinder Nexus delivers the game’s trove of sourcebooks, character options, and adventures in a convenient and easily accessible way, whether players are new to the game or are long-time veterans.

Pathfinder Nexus will give players the kind of support that a dynamic and expansive game like Pathfinder deserves,” said Adam Bradford, Chief Development Officer at Demiplane. “I have seen firsthand how technology can elevate play experiences. I’m thrilled for fans to see how much convenience Pathfinder Nexus brings to the table so that the most important elements can shine through— the players and the stories you’re telling together.”

Pathfinder Nexus aims to make every part of playing game sessions better, starting with sought-after tools like a game compendium, digital reader, character builder, interactive digital character sheet, as well as a playspace with video chat where all the other tools are fully integrated. Demiplane has an extensive roadmap for Pathfinder Nexus, with new features to enhance play planned for years to come.

“Working with Demiplane on this project has been an absolute dream come true. Demiplane’s team brings digital expertise that is truly unique,” said Erik Mona, Paizo’s Chief Creative Officer. “With Pathfinder Nexus, we’re not only able to enhance overall Pathfinder gameplay, but this new toolset will also ensure that more people can experience the game than ever before.”

BadEye

Chief Development Officer at Demiplane
@BadEye After reading, and surfing a bit on DemiPlane, it seems as what you have done is make a "general" engine, and then currently released a PF2 version. Do you plan to release support for other systems (e.g. PF1, 3.5 etc.)? I gather the idea is to not lay all your eggs in one basket (which is what could be D&D Beyonds problem in the long run)?
Wouldn't that be great? :sneaky:

We believe that there are some really great games and third-party publishers outside of D&D that deserve nice things.

JThursby

Adventurer
D&D is always going to be the Magilla Gorilla but with D&D raising the tide like it has, Paizo is poised to continue to take advantage of that tide falling a little.
I know this is a little off topic, but I think regarding Paizo and Wotc as direct competition where one is going to eat the other's lunch is a common but mostly untrue sentiment. Interest in the hobby of tabletop games is increased when there are more participants in it, so any game doing good is good for all games. When Wotc fumbled 4e Paizo was just one of many companies that was using the OGL to publish third party content; it didn't rise because Wotc was falling, it was simply the only third party publishing company in a good enough position to continue publishing material, the rest just folded. I have a close fondness for Pathfinder 1e as much as the next grognard, but it wasn't leading a tabletop renaissance, it was keeping a hobby in danger of going extinct on life support by maintaining interest in an established (if decently revised) system. Of course, I like Paizo better than Wotc for a multitude of reasons, but as a GM who needs players interested in a game I have a vested interest in Wotc not screwing up; if they do well it means I get to play the game I want to play more.
The things you list in the "future tools" is where things will really come together for Pathfinder Nexus.
Good to hear. The PF2e community has already made a lot of useful and powerful tools. If your service can exceed the high bar set by the community, or even better, have easy integration with them (Foundry's PF2e system in particular would be awesome) then consider me interested.

teitan

Legend
I know this is a little off topic, but I think regarding Paizo and Wotc as direct competition where one is going to eat the other's lunch is a common but mostly untrue sentiment. Interest in the hobby of tabletop games is increased when there are more participants in it, so any game doing good is good for all games. When Wotc fumbled 4e Paizo was just one of many companies that was using the OGL to publish third party content; it didn't rise because Wotc was falling, it was simply the only third party publishing company in a good enough position to continue publishing material, the rest just folded. I have a close fondness for Pathfinder 1e as much as the next grognard, but it wasn't leading a tabletop renaissance, it was keeping a hobby in danger of going extinct on life support by maintaining interest in an established (if decently revised) system. Of course, I like Paizo better than Wotc for a multitude of reasons, but as a GM who needs players interested in a game I have a vested interest in Wotc not screwing up; if they do well it means I get to play the game I want to play more.

Good to hear. The PF2e community has already made a lot of useful and powerful tools. If your service can exceed the high bar set by the community, or even better, have easy integration with them (Foundry's PF2e system in particular would be awesome) then consider me interested.
Good thing I didn't say that then huh?

Staffan

Legend
I know this is a little off topic, but I think regarding Paizo and Wotc as direct competition where one is going to eat the other's lunch is a common but mostly untrue sentiment. Interest in the hobby of tabletop games is increased when there are more participants in it, so any game doing good is good for all games.
I vaguely recall an old statement from the boss of a game company that at the time was rather high profile (I think it was Steve Jackson, but I can't be bothered to dig up the actual quote), about how he felt about D&D as competition. His answer was "They're not the competition, they're the recruiters. People start playing D&D, and a couple of years down the line some of them get bored with it and check out my game instead."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I vaguely recall an old statement from the boss of a game company that at the time was rather high profile (I think it was Steve Jackson, but I can't be bothered to dig up the actual quote), about how he felt about D&D as competition. His answer was "They're not the competition, they're the recruiters. People start playing D&D, and a couple of years down the line some of them get bored with it and check out my game instead."
Jonathan Tweet. ‘D&D players are my future customers’.

Waller

Legend
None other. Yet.
So how are they a leading digital tabletop platform then?

Am I a leading digital tabletop platform? Are we all leading digital tabletop platforms?

Don’t you have to be a digital tabletop platform before you can be a leading one?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases