Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

Stormtower

First Post
I was ready to support 4E (albeit in a less completist/obsessive buying pattern than 3.5), but this announcement has given me pause. I applaud Paizo's guts for making this decision, which also seems to not overly restrict their future business options.

I have the urge to check out both 4E (as well as Necro's Iron Tower path) and the Pathfinder RPG this year. Hmm, time to whip out the budget spreadsheet and see how much I actually support with my dollars...

In any case, it's great to see that my beloved 3.5E will be getting a bit of an OGL facelift and a fresh coat of paint. The system has, for my group, many many years of untapped potential remaining and Pathfinder may be just the ticket to extend its life while I also support 4E as a DM.

I hope both 4th Edition and Pathfinder continue to expand the tabletop RPG market. It's up to us to keep it alive and spread the "viral" culture of face-to-face social gaming to the next generation(s) of gamers. We can't compete with WoW, but we can keep our hobby strong and diverse.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Ok, so I'm at home sick today -- can't sleep -- anyone want to work on making some characters from Alpha 1? Should we start a thread in General or over in the Rogue's Gallery?

Sunderstone

First Post
Well I did something today I normally dont do. I subscribed to a print publication. I normally like to just go out and buy something I want. Same with Dungeon and Dragon magazines, I never missed an issue.

But since Paizo reached out to me as a gamer, I decided to reach back and subscribe. Go Paizo! As soon as their site settles down some Ill place an order for some of their recent Game mastery/Pathfinder modules too. Site is too slow atm.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
EricNoah said:
Ok, so I'm at home sick today -- can't sleep -- anyone want to work on making some characters from Alpha 1? Should we start a thread in General or over in the Rogue's Gallery?

hehe, I am in the same boat and been taking a look at what it would take to make NPC Designer scripts

HiLiphNY

Explorer
Outstanding move, Paizo-Peeps!

I was not really going to upgrade to 4E, but would possibly have slid down into it eventually. Now, i have me some salvation!

Many thanks.

buzz

Adventurer
Treebore said:
Thats not what I got out of their announcement. They are putting together a rules package to support continued growth of the 3E market. If you aren't interested in their rules you don't need to buy them to keep finding the Pathfinder product line useful.

They do state that as of the release of 4E, 3E GOES OUT OF PRINT. Which means no rule book for new players once eBay dries up. So it is only smart of them to put out their own version to support any new players that come into the 3E fold. Plus I am always in to looking at new rules ideas, which is the only reason I am even looking at 4E.
We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

:D

I'll be interested to see the final product, but this pretty much just validates my decision to cancel my Pathfinder sub. I wish Paizo the best of luck with this ('cause, IMO, they'll need it), but it still bums me out.

Remove ads