• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

BryonD

Hero
buzz said:
As for "dark times"... I dunno. I don't think Paizo's efforts can really "fracture" the fanbase in a significant way; not any more than any competing RPG does. Some people are going to like playing WotC products, some people aren't.
I agree that we won't see "dark times". I certainly won't.
I also agree that Paizo won't really fracture the fan base.
But WotC already has fractured the fan base and Paizo will make it easier for those fractures to stay apart.
And I still think you are missing the point when you simply compare this to any other RPG. In the past it has been D20 games competing for scraps of D&D's D20 market. WotC has turned its back on that market and this is two markets now.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
buzz said:
Who said anything about a hustle? I'm just saying, you will exchange cash for their goods when the final product is released.

But it's not a required purchase. If I wanted to subscribe to Pathfinder (the modules) and not buy the RPG, I can do that.

(That's actually probably the opposite of my intentions, just saying.)

That final product will be not-identical to D&D 3.5. It's a new RPG, plain and simple. No different whatsoever from buying a copy of AE.

If by "No different whatsoever from buying a copy of AE," you mean, "Am I likely to buy a copy for no other reason than to read it, put it on my shelf, and be satisfied that I supported Open design," you're correct.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
So why reward them for fragmenting the community and turning their back on what made the OGL movement so wonderful?
The only reason I'm rewarding them is because I like what I've seen from 4E: I really think it is a better system to play D&D with. If it turns out to not be the case I will move back to another system and take a break from D&D style gaming for a few years.

The Pathfinder Alpha document doesn't address any of the problems I have with the current rules, so it isn't any use to me, unfortunately. It also won't be compatible with my legion of splats for 3X, so I can't even use it for the games I run now.

--Steve

BryonD

Hero
SteveC said:
The only reason I'm rewarding them is because I like what I've seen from 4E: I really think it is a better system to play D&D with.
Then why are you frustrated with people who are doing the exact same thing as you? The only difference is we prefer what we see in 3E. How is one option "right" and the other "frustrating"?

Treebore

First Post
BryonD said:
They said somewhere that the product would be available (as PDF) for free.

Yep, they said in at least two places that the PDF of the rules set will always be free, that only the print version would cost money. They made those posts to make that distinction. One of the posts I read is probably in this very thread.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
But it's not a required purchase. If I wanted to subscribe to Pathfinder (the modules) and not buy the RPG, I can do that.

(That's actually probably the opposite of my intentions, just saying.)

Just out of curiosity, have you read the pdf?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
Wulf Ratbane said:
Paizo's not selling me a new RPG. Paizo is selling adventures (and ongoing support).
I think I see what you're saying here. Paizo's main business is selling adventure paths. The Pathfinder RPG is a loss leader supporting their core business, somewhat like gaming consoles and cartridges.

D&D by contrast has a very different model. Its core business is selling PHBs.

buzz

Adventurer
Treebore said:
Yep, they said in at least two places that the PDF of the rules set will always be free, that only the print version would cost money. They made those posts to make that distinction. One of the posts I read is probably in this very thread.
The final product, too? The Paizo site only says that the alpha and beta rules will be free PDFs. If the final product is, too, that awesome, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on their site.

Wulf Rathbane said:
If I wanted to subscribe to Pathfinder (the modules) and not buy the RPG, I can do that.
Right, but then the modules you buy after Aug '09 are not going to be using 3.5, they'll be using Pathfinder.

mmu1

First Post
SteveC said:
It does frustrate me that I am not going to have adventure paths to purchase from them any more. It also frustrates me that after eight years of building a community of D&D, D20 and OGL gamers, this is the first major example of how that community is breaking apart.

Yes, well, imagine how frustrating it would be to find you dislike 4E and find the whole hobby (not just a handful of supplements) you've followed for years is leaving you behind.

Not that I'm trying to single you out (and I'm not really one of those unfortunate people either, my group seems happy enough to stick with 3.5) - your post just made me realize how amusing I find the reaction of all the 4E fans who feel they're being hurt by this, but were only too happy to say "too bad, deal with it" to people who felt like 4E kicked their dog. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads