• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

Pinotage

Explorer
ThirdWizard said:
I don't think changing monsters is an option. It would invalidate way too many monster books. You also can't get a formula to change CRs. What I think they need to do is to add more options without increasing power, so by my thinking decrease overall power of everything, then add in more options to the rules. I don't know...

Given that they can't touch any non-OGL material, and by extension all WotC material outside of PHB and UA, it is going to be difficult for them to balance everything with the hundres of prestige classes, magic items and spells out there. They can't rewrite those, or even offer advice on those. In that sense, yes, compatibility will be an issue. But, they can make it entirely compatible with the core, and keep the system overall same enough that it won't be as different as between 3e and 3.5e. I still think that a blanket reduction in CR by 1, for example, is a fair way of doing it. Let's face it, CR isn't terribly accurate in any case! :)

ThirdWizard said:
They won't be addressing my biggest problem with 3e, though, so I'm kind of disappointed.

You mean backward compatibility?

Pinotage

buzz

Adventurer
JoshuaFrost said:
2) Every stage of the Alpha and Beta playtest will have FREE downloadable PDFs to continue FREE participation in our open playtest.

3) ... If paying for a Beta isn't for you, then awesome! It'll be a free PDF download.

4) The finished Pathfinder RPG product in August 2009 will be a 420 (or so) page hardcover designed to replace the PHB and DMG for 3.5 that we expect will go out of print. Hopefully, with everyone's participation in the Alpha and Beta playtest, we'll have enough awesome feedback to make this the game that folks sticking with 3.5 (or even just interested in the rules) will want to play. We know it won't be for everyone, unfortunately, but our primary design goal is create an updated rules set that is largely backward-compatible with 3.5 and will require a minimum of adjustment for pre-PRPG products to be run via PRPG.
So, the final product will not be available as a free PDF, correct?

Which is fine, as giving it away free as a PDF seems too good to be true. :)

BryonD

Hero
SteveC said:
I'm also frustrated that this first real example of the fracturing of the D&D market has occurred.
First you have noticed.

I know that Paizo understands their customers and their market, but I believe that staying with 3X is a mistake, and that they are severely over-estimating how many people will be staying with 3X, especially a year from now.
I think you are wrong and I think WotC is severly over-estimating how many people will switch just because a new system comes out.

I wish them well as a company, but every instinct says this is a bad move. Launching a new line of products based on 3X isn't a bad idea now, but a year from now? I would expect their market to be 10-15% of what it is now, and to be shrinking.
No way. It may not work out. There are plenty of ways that could happen. But there just seems to be a "then a miracle happens" presumption that people who don't like 4e will go to 4e just because. Assuming that people are sheep will only get you so far. And I also think Paizo fans will be vastly more loyal than 4e fans.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Or whatever. It's not really used "in the math" in any way except to express a certain power level. CR1 doesn't mean "half the power of CR2" for example. It's just a tag, used for shorthand.

If I'm not mistaken, the CR and EL stuff isn't part of the SRD in any event, is it?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Cthulhudrew said:
If I'm not mistaken, the CR and EL stuff isn't part of the SRD in any event, is it?

CR is in the statblock of every SRD monster.

You're probably thinking of the XP awards and the XP advancement table-- but those have been adequately covered in other OGC at this point.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
CR is in the statblock of every SRD monster.

D'OH!

You're probably thinking of the XP awards and the XP advancement table-- but those have been adequately covered in other OGC at this point.

You're right- that's what I was thinking of. Still, there isn't the explanation of what CR and EL means in the SRD, though, right? Like there is in the DMG?

If not, then they could conceivably still do some work to define it on their own terms, and thus possibly achieve a better balance of CR like people are suggesting.

buzz

Adventurer
BryonD said:
What? The context of this statement is people who are interested in staying with 3X. If SteveC is right then people will be changing "just because".
I just don't think WotC is over-estimating anything.

buzz

Adventurer
Cthulhudrew said:
If not, then they could conceivably still do some work to define it on their own terms, and thus possibly achieve a better balance of CR like people are suggesting.
The alpha doc already has some of this, FYI.

Remove ads