• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Online MMORPG Announced

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I just reread this whole thread to double-check something: nobody here has mentioned Kickstarter.

Existing fanbase + cool new project + Kickstarter = serious potential for big wins.

I downloaded WoW, played it for all of twenty minutes, and uninstalled it. I spent more time with D&D Online; I think it had a better opening.

WoW was like: "Go kill twenty dogs and come back to me". DDO was like "Meet the priestess at the door and help her clear out the dungeon." In other words, you were made to be part of an adventuring party right off. The graphics were better in DDO, in my opinion. There is a scene where you can leap off the edge of a path and drop twenty stories; it's rather breathtaking (and make sure you have the "Feather Fall" cloak, or the spell).

But if there is to be a Pathfinder MMO, then I recommend starting light; consider "Adventure Quest Worlds" as a guide. It's not state of the art graphics by any means, and it's still "Go kill twenty critters". But it loads up quickly and players can jump right in almost immediately.

The other paradigm they might follow is Neverwinter Nights by Bioware. It had a so-so adventure to play through, but the game was revealed as a real treasure with its multiplayer aspect. Hundreds of worlds created by fans, some with complex storylines and role playing experience, some as simple as "Team A and Team B try to kill each other's king/dragon."

In fact, if I were going to make an MMO, I would make it almost exclusively the latter: Two or more teams going at each other tooth and nail, over and over again. $5 a year. I'd be a millionaire in six months.

BobTheNob

First Post
DDO...Im actually playing it at the moment :).

The engine might be six years old, but DDO is still going (thanks to its free to play model). The funny thing is, I actually fork out occasionally for some turbine points for something. I dont mind, its cheap gaming, and if anything its actually quite vibrant. DDO is actually a bit of a survivor on the gaming market.

I hope they go with a free to play approach. Subscription market just doesnt exist any more (well it never really did, WoW at it up overnight). Rift is the closest thing I have seen to being worth paying subscription for, and even that is middly success. Free to play withoptions is the way to go (I particularly likes DDO's adventure pack approach).

Mind you, bad timing. Neverwinter is on the horizon as well, and that will eat up a big part of their potential market if its any good.

I wonder if they have checked whether they can get there hands on the rights to develop onto the DDO engine. Half of what they need is already there! They could cut years off their development process, just update it and give it pathfinder content.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Sorry for necroing this thread, but this is the only place i found to discuss the Pathfinder MMO.
I am very curious as to what they say they will do if they don't reach the 1,000,000 goal. Will the whole thing be abandoned? I doubt it, since an entire company with three employees (right?) is involved.

Have they said what they will do if they don't get the entire 1,000,000?

Kaodi

Hero
They mentioned that Elite raised $600,000 in its last 72 hours. For big projects like this things are not necessarily over until they are over.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I am very curious as to what they say they will do if they don't reach the 1,000,000 goal. Will the whole thing be abandoned? I doubt it, since an entire company with three employees (right?) is involved.

Have they said what they will do if they don't get the entire 1,000,000?

They said that the first Kickstarter allowed them to aquire funding, and this one is only for speeding up the project. Also Lisa said something like "we always have plans". So, pretty much no idea.

Though i don't think it will impress any investors if the kickstarter fails.

I doubt that this one has as much traction as the Elite kickstarter. But true, it's possible that they get a rush of pledges in the last few days. They need around 50.000 per day now.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads