• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Core Book - Cover Posted

I'm definitely looking forward to this book.

And what I feel makes WAR a better artist over the others is that his work is more dynamic and full of action.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I'm definitely looking forward to this book.

And what I feel makes WAR a better artist over the others is that his work is more dynamic and full of action.

Which is why asking him to make a piece where two characters are just standing there doing nothing and posing (4e phb1) is such a bad idea. It totally negates the greatest feature of his art.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
This cover -- as well as the one he did with the green dragon for WotC -- is great.

I hope that Paizo does what WotC won't (or can't) do: offer us a poster of this cover art!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Which is why asking him to make a piece where two characters are just standing there doing nothing and posing (4e phb1) is such a bad idea. It totally negates the greatest feature of his art.
I think the idea was like that:
- WAR did great artwork, let's get him to do our core covers, as a lot of people like his artwork
- PHB cover should focus on singular characters, as it is aimed on players - not monsters or so, leave that for the MM
- Put a character of each gender on it - to appeal to all genders
- Showcase some new race to help them to get traction - tiefling (was changed due to publishers) or dragonborn

This line of thought pretty much ends in the covers we have... - and the individual ideas are pretty good, it just doesn't like up that well. And it happened on the Eberron books for 4E again... *sigh*

WAR needs action pieces to shine and then he *really* shines, otherwise he's just good or above-average - but not excellent. :erm:

Cheers, LT.

rounser

First Post
- PHB cover should focus on singular characters, as it is aimed on players - not monsters or so, leave that for the MM
I find the art direction style of PCs just posing for the camera out of context in action poses to be bad form for D&D. It tells no story, doesn't suggest an adventure or world, and looks artificial and contrived, which is bad for immersion.

I find the art direction style of PCs just posing for the camera out of context in action poses to be bad form for D&D. It tells no story, doesn't suggest an adventure or world, and looks artificial and contrived, which is bad for immersion.

How can the cover of a game book affect immersion?

rounser

First Post
How can the cover of a game book affect immersion?
:confused:

You can't be serious. Art has no effect on how you envision a game? It never inspires you or helps you visualise possibilities for adventure or action, or a character? It never signals to you what the game is about? May as well ask "How can the words in the book affect immersion?"

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads