• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Core Book - Cover Posted

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Didn't WAR do the d&d 4e PHB1 cover too? What happened there?

"Art direction" is what happened. Or in other words, someone saying "Hey Wayne, draw it like THIS! More of THAT!"

I kinda like the 4e core covers, but ranking them against the Pathfinder and the character sheet cover earns them 3rd place.

In first place? 4e character sheets. I like that best of the 4e pictures.

/Magnus

Primal

First Post
Both of those covers are glorious. My excitement level just jumped up a couple more notches!

I whole-heartedly agree -- and the pages on Twitter also look stunningly good! Now it's going to be a long, long summer until August... *sigh* ;)

Paizo should give their Art Directors a raise, because they've consistently done an amazing job -- I can't recall a single Paizo product that has suffered from poor or mediocre art direction!

Mikaze

First Post
I love that the troll doesn't have a dangly, pointy nose hanging in front of his mouth. That has been bugging me since I remember first seeing it.

I also love that the marilith isn't sticking with the 3.x look. I liked the fully reptilian version as a variant, but not as the standard.

And I'm still loving those goblins.

Put out an art book already, WAR!

JeffB

Legend
Wayne is pretty much the only D&D artist whose work I really enjoy since 3E was released. Just love it. Not a fan of Lockwood, Wood, and the other 3E guys at all. WAR's Eberron covers are probably my most fave pieces of his.

And true to form, those PF covers are amazing, especially the monster book! Even though the PF iconic PCs annoy me (stylistically) , and I won't be playing PF, the covers make me want to buy the books anyway! :)

(I may just fork this thread to further discuss that...)

Last edited:

C_M2008

First Post
Nice pic, derivative of the 4e character sheets folder, but nice anyway.

If I had the slightest interest in pathfinder I would consider it based on the art, but I don't so no worries on my wallet.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I'm looking forward to Pathfinder and I usually love the stuff that Pazio does. However I never been a fan of any of their art. (Thats sortof inaccurate, generally monsters are cool.) However as soon as they do something resembling a PC ... gah. I like my armour to vaguely look like armour that's historically accurate. I like people in surcoats and chainmail. I like spellcasters in robes that cover a large proportion of their skin. I like weapons that seem a resonable size for the character to be carrying.

There's something about the core book cover that I find very compelling, but the PCs details just ruin it for me. In a lot of ways i like the simple evocative black and white art of OSRIC and some 1st edition products a lot more. One of the reasons for this is I can use these illustrations an say here's a sketch your characters are shown of X monster, or here's a tapestry you find in the keep,dungeon etc. Maybe its just that simple inspires imagination, whereas a 'snapshot' (type of art) doesn't, in some ways it seems to limit it.

I guess I'm the first major criticism. I do find the Bestiary's cover quite compelling.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads