• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
All the tabletop RPG books in the world could vanish tomorrow and D&D would still be an enormously valuable brand.

If all the D&D players in the world vanished, D&D wouldn't be all that valuable at all. The ancillary material grows off the trunk; no matter how little of the tree is trunk, you can't cut off the trunk.

The same obviously goes for Warcraft, World of Darkness, and Warhammer.

I don't know about Warhammer. If the MMORPG disappeared, Warcraft's name would drop massively. If all the tabletop RPG players disappeared, World of Darkness would be known only by the LARPers.

But not Pathfinder.

Not yet; they are producing their own line of novels.

People like to pretend that D&D's value is in RPG books, but tabletop RPGs are small potatoes. Let's not forget all the best-selling novels, the two+ video games per year, board games, comics, movies, TV, etc.

The movies? The three movies, only one that went to the theaters, and all of which bombed? Moreover, the movie whose description on IMDB starts "Based on the phenomenally successful role-playing game,"? And that's why the RPG is so important.

The day D&D stops being an RPG is the day video game companies start asking themselves the same thing Fallout did with GURPS; why are we licensing this instead of making a cheap ripoff?

As with comics these days, the strength of D&D is in the brand itself, not the medium that produced it.

I don't believe that, for comics either. Comic movies stay alive because they have a hardcore base behind them. Some of that is TV, but most of that is comics. You kill off the X-Men comics, you'll discover that the people like my father--who spent the entire First Class movie not realizing that Charles Xavier was that bald guy in the wheelchair--are not enough to carry the brand.

D&D, World of Darkness, Warhammer -- these are brands. Pathfinder is just a game.

World of Darkness is a game. No one besides the gamers still remember it or buy the products... no doubt in large part due to the RPG no longer being there to support the auxiliary products. Pathfinder is starting to sell novels, but it'll still only work as long as Golarion exists in the minds of its hard-core fans.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Huh, it had been a few days since I'd heard a Pathfinder fan celebrating the imagined failure of a game they don't play.

I'd been starting to think that maybe they'd cleaned up their act.

Gee, it had been a few days since I'd heard a human criticize a disliked subset for the act of just one, over something they're heard and ignore their liked subset do many times. I'd been starting to think that maybe humanity had cleaned up their act.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
What number of subscribers would strike you as not-low? And what criteria are you using to determine those levels?

And what sorts of standards for business success do you have where a 5% month-to-month growth rate for an established product is bad, in your mind? :confused:

I think you are misinterpreting what I mean. I do not mean it bad from a business standpoint. I mean it bad from a popularity standpoint. That is all.

There are not as many TTgamers as I thought.

Dannager

First Post
I think you are misinterpreting what I mean. I do not mean it bad from a business standpoint. I mean it bad from a popularity standpoint. That is all.

There are not as many TTgamers as I thought.

I think there are probably roughly as many as you think. 3 million sounds in the neighborhood of right to me.

Dannager

First Post
Gee, it had been a few days since I'd heard a human criticize a disliked subset for the act of just one, over something they're heard and ignore their liked subset do many times. I'd been starting to think that maybe humanity had cleaned up their act.

Aim your charges of hypocrisy elsewhere. Last time a 4e fan badmouthed Pathfinder here, I told him to knock it off.

You should have done the same. Celebrating the downfall of a game someone else enjoys (whether that downfall is imagined or not) is ugly and makes this community look bad.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Celebrating the downfall of a game someone else enjoys (whether that downfall is imagined or not) is ugly and makes this community look bad.

And thus, when you saw a fellow roleplayer do it, instead of telling him to knock it off, you used it as an excuse to attack the players of a game you don't play. Which is no less ugly and doesn't do anything to make this community look good.

Dannager

First Post
And thus, when you saw a fellow roleplayer do it, instead of telling him to knock it off, you used it as an excuse to attack the players of a game you don't play. Which is no less ugly and doesn't do anything to make this community look good.

I wasn't attacking "them" for anything more than failing to call the poster in question out for his poor behavior. When 4e fans chide Pathfinder fans for poor behavior, very little gets accomplished because they're already against 4e fans. When a Pathfinder fan calls out a Pathfinder fan for poor behavior, they listen.

Now go be part of the solution. I don't let 4e fans get away with trash-talking Pathfinder. Don't let Pathfinder fans get away with trash-talking 4e, unless you happen to like that sort of caustic environment.

cyderak

Banned
Banned
I wasn't attacking "them" for anything more than failing to call the poster in question out for his poor behavior. When 4e fans chide Pathfinder fans for poor behavior, very little gets accomplished because they're already against 4e fans. When a Pathfinder fan calls out a Pathfinder fan for poor behavior, they listen.

Now go be part of the solution. I don't let 4e fans get away with trash-talking Pathfinder. Don't let Pathfinder fans get away with trash-talking 4e, unless you happen to like that sort of caustic environment.

All this banter back and forth about PATHFINDER and 4e is futile.

I thought I heard they are either turning D&D into a boardgame or 5th edition anyways.

The reason why PATHFINDER players spurn 4e is because they used to be 3rd edition D&D players and feel left in the dust by a company who they invested alot of time and money in. You can't blame PATHFINDER players for letting WOTC know how they feel. Its called feedback. Or backlash, from a PATHFINDER player's point of view. Comes with the territory when a drastic change is made that effects so many gamers.

The title of this post was PATHFINDER sales.........Dannager are you just going around looking for a fight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads