Pathfinder to 5E Conversion Tool?

Jake Johnson

First Post
Sorry for the newbie DM questions:

A couple of the guys in my new 5E group have characters from Pathfinder that they would like to convert. Does anyone know of any good resources for doing this? Are there specific aspects of conversion that could be particularly challenging or require subjectivity due to lack of equivalent character mechanics? Any tips or thoughts from folks who have done it?

Thanks,

Jake

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
To be honest, I would probably re-build the character from scratch using the 5e rules and then see if there is anything that seems obviously missing/wrong/odd.

In general the 5e rules tend to build characters in big blocks. Class, Sub-Class, Background, Mega-Feats. Rather than having to work about skill points and feat chains. Also there is a high possibility that some of some of the things your Pathfinder character bought a Feat or Prestige class to do may just work in 5e by default.

Jake Johnson

First Post
To be honest, I would probably re-build the character from scratch using the 5e rules and then see if there is anything that seems obviously missing/wrong/odd.

In general the 5e rules tend to build characters in big blocks. Class, Sub-Class, Background, Mega-Feats. Rather than having to work about skill points and feat chains. Also there is a high possibility that some of some of the things your Pathfinder character bought a Feat or Prestige class to do may just work in 5e by default.

Thanks, jadrax. We will look at this approach. Doing it this way makes sense. I'm sure it won't be exact, but I think the goal is to get the character to "feel" in 5E like it did for him to play it in Pathfinder. Maybe we'll take a stab at it, and then adjust and fine-tune after he plays it a bit.

Remathilis

Legend
Sorry for the newbie DM questions:

A couple of the guys in my new 5E group have characters from Pathfinder that they would like to convert. Does anyone know of any good resources for doing this? Are there specific aspects of conversion that could be particularly challenging or require subjectivity due to lack of equivalent character mechanics? Any tips or thoughts from folks who have done it?

Thanks,

Jake

1.) Wait until the PHB comes out. (Its kinda hard to tell without that).
2.) Ability scores SHOULD be about the same: any ability score higher than 20 caps at 20.
3.) The core races should be the same, but you'll need to pick a subrace for some of them.
4.) The core classes should convert. If you have levels in multiple classes, keep them the same (so a rogue2/fighter5 would remain the same mix).
4a.) Prestige classes should be dropped. Give your characters levels in a core class roughly equal to the closest to it. (For example, a dragon disciple would gain levels in sorcerer). Some classes have become subclasses (assassin, eldritch knight, arcane trickster), others feats (devoted defender) or even backgrounds (loremaster = sage).
4b.) An Inquisitor is roughly equal to an oath of vengeance paladin. A cavalier is a fighter with the noble background. A witch is akin to a warlock (or maybe a wizard), an oracle should become a cleric, an alchemist should be a heavily reflavored warlock, and a summoner probably a chain-pact warlock or a conjurer.
5.) Pick a background that best fits your character concept.
6.) Most skills have a analogy with either a tool or skill. Some have been rolled into others (Spellcraft into Arcana) The few the don't include appraise, certain knowledges, escape artist, fly, and use magic device. Linguistics is now a feat. You should pick skills you had at least one rank in, up to your maximum (based on class + 2 background).
6a.) If you had ranks in a craft skill, you should get proficiency in that artisan's tool. If you have more languages than your background/race normally gives, you gain those as bonus languages. Both of these are one-time conversion gifts that assume you magically spent the downtime to learn them.
7.) Most mundane gear should convert; bearing in mind some armors have new categorizing. Exotic weapons should convert to the closest analogy (a bastard sword = a longsword, a nunchuku = a club). Double weapons should be treated as a normal TWF combos (double bladed sword = two short swords) re-fluffed if needed.
7a.) Magic items will TBD, but the guide should be no more than 1 permanent item per level. No magic items should raise an ability score beyond 20. The DMG will have much more on this.
8.) Redo AC, attacks and saves to use the new proficiency numbers. HP SHOULD convert (ignoring bonus hp for favored class) as most HD map to Pathfinder HD now.
9.) Feats should be given at the normal rate in 5e (IE instead of an ability score increase). IF a feat has an analogue, the PC may take it. Otherwise, he can choose to ignore it. No feats should provide static bonuses (Imp. Init, Weapon Focus) and some are now redundant (weapon finesse).

That SHOULD do it.

Jake Johnson

First Post
1.) Wait until the PHB comes out. (Its kinda hard to tell without that).
2.) Ability scores SHOULD be about the same: any ability score higher than 20 caps at 20.
3.) The core races should be the same, but you'll need to pick a subrace for some of them.
4.) The core classes should convert. If you have levels in multiple classes, keep them the same (so a rogue2/fighter5 would remain the same mix).
4a.) Prestige classes should be dropped. Give your characters levels in a core class roughly equal to the closest to it. (For example, a dragon disciple would gain levels in sorcerer). Some classes have become subclasses (assassin, eldritch knight, arcane trickster), others feats (devoted defender) or even backgrounds (loremaster = sage).
4b.) An Inquisitor is roughly equal to an oath of vengeance paladin. A cavalier is a fighter with the noble background. A witch is akin to a warlock (or maybe a wizard), an oracle should become a cleric, an alchemist should be a heavily reflavored warlock, and a summoner probably a chain-pact warlock or a conjurer.
5.) Pick a background that best fits your character concept.
6.) Most skills have a analogy with either a tool or skill. Some have been rolled into others (Spellcraft into Arcana) The few the don't include appraise, certain knowledges, escape artist, fly, and use magic device. Linguistics is now a feat. You should pick skills you had at least one rank in, up to your maximum (based on class + 2 background).
6a.) If you had ranks in a craft skill, you should get proficiency in that artisan's tool. If you have more languages than your background/race normally gives, you gain those as bonus languages. Both of these are one-time conversion gifts that assume you magically spent the downtime to learn them.
7.) Most mundane gear should convert; bearing in mind some armors have new categorizing. Exotic weapons should convert to the closest analogy (a bastard sword = a longsword, a nunchuku = a club). Double weapons should be treated as a normal TWF combos (double bladed sword = two short swords) re-fluffed if needed.
7a.) Magic items will TBD, but the guide should be no more than 1 permanent item per level. No magic items should raise an ability score beyond 20. The DMG will have much more on this.
8.) Redo AC, attacks and saves to use the new proficiency numbers. HP SHOULD convert (ignoring bonus hp for favored class) as most HD map to Pathfinder HD now.
9.) Feats should be given at the normal rate in 5e (IE instead of an ability score increase). IF a feat has an analogue, the PC may take it. Otherwise, he can choose to ignore it. No feats should provide static bonuses (Imp. Init, Weapon Focus) and some are now redundant (weapon finesse).

That SHOULD do it.

Thank you so much for the clear and detailed response, Remathilis. Your steps will give us a great place to start. The player has a significant investment in this character. I'm really happy we can (with your help) preserve it as we move him to 5E.

Remathilis

Legend
Thank you so much for the clear and detailed response, Remathilis. Your steps will give us a great place to start. The player has a significant investment in this character. I'm really happy we can (with your help) preserve it as we move him to 5E.

I'm currently in the process of working on a PF -> 5e guide. When the PHB is out, I'll finish the player's portion of it. Those are my opening notes.

KnightCa

First Post
How's the conversion guide coming?

I'm currently in the process of working on a PF -> 5e guide. When the PHB is out, I'll finish the player's portion of it. Those are my opening notes.

I'd love to see this for use in my own gaming group conversion. Thanks so much for doing what work you already have. Please let me know if the guide gets further developed.

Remathilis

Legend
I'd love to see this for use in my own gaming group conversion. Thanks so much for doing what work you already have. Please let me know if the guide gets further developed.

Life, along with a slow acquisition of books, has dragged this out. I'll probably get to work on it sometime in the new year; hopefully WotC will do a good chunk of my work and release the 3.5 guide in the meantime.

Remove ads