Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Unchained in 2015

techno

Explorer
Paizo just announced that they will release Pathfinder Unchained in the spring of 2015. Apparently, "unchained" refers to being unchained from backwards compatibility with 3.5. The monk, rogue, barbarian, and summoner will reworked (as an option). Sounds a bit like Unearthed Aracana for Pathfinder.

From Wolfgang Bauer:

In spring 2015.... Pathfinder Unchained. Rules team goes wild, backward compatibility be damned! New rogue, monk with full BAB, summoner....

From Jason Bulmahn:

Just announced, the spring 2015 release Pathfinder Unchained! The rules team tinkers with the game! New barbarian, monk, rogue and summoner!

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Testing the waters for a 2.0? I am not concerned ab9out backwards compatability anymore with 3.x type games. I want them to make a game that looks like 3.5 though even if they redid the math and rewrote spells and feats.

Yeah seems to be a tester for PF2. I wish them the best with it, I am sure it will not be so different as 3E to 4E and cause a lot less ruckus!

jib916

Explorer
Interesting. Looking forward to what It brings/adds. It seems a good answer to slowing down the next edition as well. (fixing the "problems" that some people have with Pathfinder)

Evenglare

Adventurer
Cautiously optimistic about this. No rules to tie them to 3.x? Great.....maybe. If you just want to tinker around with the base classes buffing them or nerfing them I'm alright with that, but changing the way fundamental game mechanics work... im not so much okay with that. Specifically if they botch something up and you can't use archetypes anymore and other things that might completely divorce the new stuff from pathfinders old stuff. I'm not TERRIBLY worried because to do seem to know that people want to use old stuff and I can't imagine they would just wipe out what they have built up so far.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Good to hear. Compatibility with 3.5 was never a concern for me, since there is so much material available for Pathfinder. Let's hope that the implementation lives up to the expectations.

dm4hire

Explorer
I definitely think this is a way to test the water for a 2nd edition. It will allow them to incorporate many of the changes that have come about in the recent past few years that could improve Pathfinder without taking the big step. If the players like it and it is a hit then they can jump in to the next phase and at the same time finally separate the game from D&D.

It also serves as a way to show their fans, who came over from D&D due to 4e, that they are willing to evolve and meet D&D on equal footing instead of remaining in the shadows of its former glory.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases