Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Unchained in 2015

Remathilis

Legend
Good. There are a lot of anachronisms that PF could smooth out. I hope they fix some of those lingering math problems and streamline things further. Perhaps Next lit a fire under their bums to start looking for innovation.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
In my view, Pathfinder stopped worrying about back-compatibility after the Core Rulebook came out in 2009.

Once it had established itself, the Pathfinder RPG ceased worrying about issues of back-compatibility - why should it? It didn't take it very long to scoop up the 3.5 market that didn't want to switch to 4E. After that, it became focused on maintaining compatibility with itself - and in that regard, Pathfinder Unchained probably won't change anything.

Pathfinder is about to mark its fifth anniversary, and by all accounts it's still going strong. There's no reason to invalidate their deep bench of existing products, to say nothing of upending their existing fan-base, by dropping hints that they're going to release a second edition of the game. It's not a coincidence that this book's main tease right now are simply tweaked Core classes - not that much different from some new archetypes or just new classes with the same name.

I don't think we're going to see anything here that really changes the game mechanics; at least, not more than some small, modular, optional changes which all work alongside the main rules.

One of the major flaws of the Pathfinder system was that were fairly conservative in changing mechanics due to wanting to be compatible. That meant that weaker mechanics like the Monk class weren't changed enough. Now that they don't have to worry about being compatible, they can finally remake the Monk into a good class.

I don't think we're going to see anything here that really changes the game mechanics; at least, not more than some small, modular, optional changes which all work alongside the main rules.

yeah - optional modular stuff.

They talk about making a simple and easy action economy. That will be interesting to see.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm guessing Pathfinder 2.0 is a long way off. Why split your fanbase?

I think this will be a nice edition.

I still want them to do epic rules though....

IronWolf

blank
One of the major flaws of the Pathfinder system was that were fairly conservative in changing mechanics due to wanting to be compatible. That meant that weaker mechanics like the Monk class weren't changed enough. Now that they don't have to worry about being compatible, they can finally remake the Monk into a good class.

I'm just one voice, but I always liked the fact they kept things somewhat compatible. But I didn't think 3.x was that broken at its core.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'm guessing Pathfinder 2.0 is a long way off. Why split your fanbase?

I think this will be a nice edition.

I still want them to do epic rules though....

I honestly don't think you will ever get epic rules in the way you want them. Mythic is going to be the closest you will ever get, I'd wager.

Evenglare

Adventurer
actually let me revise my statement. At this point with the game as it stands we probably won't see epic level rules as people imagine (lv 21-30+). However, if they actually are gearing up and preparing to tweak the game and release a 2.0 where the system is still in place but different classes are balanced even more then it might not be out of the realm of possibility.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases