• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PAX Penny Arcade Session

wedgeski

Adventurer
Just watched it and found it very entertaining, much more so than some of the others I have watched.
Maybe Chris Perkins is getting better at coming up with scenarios that play well to an audience beside the one at the table.
I would imagine he had much more time to prep this than he did the others, what with all the props and audience sections. As I recall, after pressure from marketing, he essentially had to completely re-do the game he hosted for the Robot Chicken guys while he was on the plane!

This time it would seem the marketing chaps were satisfied with some blithe waving-around of the new red box before the game actually started, because there certainly wasn't anything especially "relevant" about the scenario or the PC's.

And all to the good, IMO.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
The mini used for Jim Darkmagic is the same one one of my players uses.

And love the Romeo & Juliet reference by Wil

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
Since listening to the podcasts I've actually gained alot of respect for Wil Wheaton. I never liked Crusher episodes. I also like the the fact that he came to the Penny Arcade podcasts already knowing how to play instead of just being there because he was semi-famous.

I still giggle when he gets mowed down in Toy Soldiers though.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I thought this was the best video/podcast they've made yet. Of course now I want my games to have their own audience. Maybe I could get by with a laugh track? :hmm:
How's this for your very own laughtrack?
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Wil Wheaton is a very good player. He stayed in character much of the time, gave Mr. Stinky some interesting characteristics, and was overall very entertaining.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wheaton strikes me as a good guy and a good sport - he can self-deprecate, always a good trait, and a pretty good sense of humor. And anyone who 's seem him in various TV cameos over the past two or three years knows he's a pretty good actor, too.

Plenty of respect for the guy, as far as I'm concerned, and from my perspective the whole "I hate Wil Wheaton because of Wesley Crusher" thing is kinda sad. :(

fba827

Adventurer
it was a very fun and entertaining set of videos to watch. and i really enjoyed watching it so i'm glad to have seen it!

As others said though: warning, you'll have your volume set for their normal speaking voice and then one of the players will kick in a shout which is picked up way too well by the microphone (particularly with a certain key trigger word during the first half of the video set).

ourchair

First Post
To be honest, I only found Wil Wheaton amusing for the first half of the series.

Don't get me wrong, the session was hilarious, a good example to show people what playing D&D 'looks like' and all the players -- Wil included -- were an absolute hoot.

But after awhile, Wheaton started to grate on me, like he was stealing the spotlight way too often. And despite the fact that I'm actually a long-time Penny Arcade fan (since their days as a LoonyBoi feature) I found Kurtz to be my favorite of the group.

Wheaton just seemed obsessed with getting attention from the crowd and on occasion I had a (petty) annoyance with his inability to take his turns efficiently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads