• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PAX Penny Arcade Session

Zaran

Adventurer
I have to hand it to the guys who participated in that game. They are hilarious and it was alot of fun to watch the video of them. Chris Perkins did a fine job of GMing.

I really hope that WotC keeps sponsoring the 4e podcasts with Wil Wheaton and the Penny Arcade guys. I do find it funny that they put on the show to promote the Red Box even though none of their characters were Essentials builds.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/paxgame

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Just watched it and found it very entertaining, much more so than some of the others I have watched.
Maybe Chris Perkins is getting better at coming up with scenarios that play well to an audience beside the one at the table.

Negflar2099

Explorer
I thought this was the best video/podcast they've made yet. Of course now I want my games to have their own audience. Maybe I could get by with a laugh track? :hmm:

Vael

Legend
Our table has a lot of the nerds that have powers and abilities memorized (myself included), but it would be fun to have a greek chorus of onlookers to remember buffs and such.

I was really drawn into this adventure, I do think it's the best one I've ever seen. Chris Perkin's ability to create distinct characters and voices is something I greatly admire and envy.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
I'd love to be in a game with Chris Perkins as the DM. Hell, I'd like to be IN THE ROOM when Chris Perkins is DMing a game!

I'm at work but I'll have to check this out!

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
That is some funny stuff. Made it through 4 of them and if I wasn't falling asleep where I sit, I'd watch all the way through.

Our group usually spends alot of time laughing, but it's mostly inside jokes and bad puns - these guys have the pop/geek-culture references to keep a whole audience entertained.

I'm pretty damn impressed with Chris Perkins' ability to do voices too, I can barely manage to give my PCs accents, much less switch between 3-4 NPCs in one encounter with different voices.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
What I love about these videos is that you can give the links to someone who has never seen a sessin of d&D played and they'll learn heaps.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Watched most of them last night and will finish the set tonight. Absolutely hilarious. Chris Perkins is finally showing to the rest of us the kind of DM that he is renowned for being inside Wizards, and the players all on absolutely razor-sharp form. The audience participation (both in the voting sections and the general heckling) only makes it more special. Brilliant.

Cor_Malek

First Post
Very fun to watch. Great work on scaling down the adventure to fit a panel - something that really takes work from GM. I only wished there were more NPC's - I really like Chris Perkins roleplaying.
That said, this videos really made me appreciate (especially since I'm a headphones person) all the work the sound-crew did with the microphones, and mastering of previous podcasts, something much harder to do in Con environment. Will Wheaton's exclamations made my ears bleed at times, and yet I had to turn volume up to hear some other comments. Initial low-volume made me also turn it up, and then BAM! Chris Perkins deals 5 sonic damage!
I was really with Scott Kurtz as to "guys, who's playing now?". Some input from audience was useful (gogo Stinky!), but at other times just distracting.

I like the idea of this going into another series of podcasts. They're nice to listen to while playing some kinds of games (Chessmaster with original podcasts, now Minecraft).
I do hope for an audio-only version though.

Remove ads